Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-14-2010, 07:12 AM   #46
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmikov View Post
Well even on your video I see more on Samsung screen, then on Sony Xperia. The higher contrast make it easier to see stuff.
Those screens need an anti-glare film, asap...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:42 AM   #47
mknopp
mknopp will become famous soon enoughmknopp will become famous soon enoughmknopp will become famous soon enoughmknopp will become famous soon enoughmknopp will become famous soon enoughmknopp will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
Wow, a lot of Apple haters here.

I don't know how many of you follow Apple news, but this is just another rumor to add to the mountain surrounding Apple.

I saw this and quickly added it to the pile or other rumors: Verizon iPhone that is rumored EVERY year since the phone was released, 12" macBook, and MacPro X being fairly common and long lasting ones. Although, the later have been waning with the rise of the iPhone, and eventually I suspect the first one will come true.

Regarding this one. I wouldn't hold my breath. Several sources are speaking out against this one for the very reasons, someone else pointed out here. The OLED manufacturers can't even keep up with demand right now.

Then there is the fact that Apple doesn't need to release a dedicated eReader, they have an eReader that also plays the other media that they want to sell. Apple isn't really into the dedicated device business.

I do admit that a device sized between the iPhone and the iPad would be a nice addition to the touch device lineup that Apple is moving towards, I don't see them releasing one so soon after the iPad release, and I don't see them putting an OLED display in it even if they did. The prices are too high right now and the supply is too scarce.
mknopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2010, 12:14 PM   #48
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by mknopp View Post

I don't know how many of you follow Apple news, but this is just another rumor to add to the mountain surrounding Apple.

I saw this and quickly added it to the pile or other rumors: Verizon iPhone that is rumored EVERY year since the phone was released, 12" macBook, and MacPro X being fairly common and long lasting ones. Although, the later have been waning with the rise of the iPhone, and eventually I suspect the first one will come true.

Regarding this one. I wouldn't hold my breath. Several sources are speaking out against this one for the very reasons, someone else pointed out here. The OLED manufacturers can't even keep up with demand right now.

Then there is the fact that Apple doesn't need to release a dedicated eReader, they have an eReader that also plays the other media that they want to sell. Apple isn't really into the dedicated device business.

I do admit that a device sized between the iPhone and the iPad would be a nice addition to the touch device lineup that Apple is moving towards, I don't see them releasing one so soon after the iPad release, and I don't see them putting an OLED display in it even if they did. The prices are too high right now and the supply is too scarce.

no Apple hater here. I actually own an iPhone and love it. I have no ill will against Steve Jobs, we haven't seen this type of marketing dominance since Nike of the '90's where the product becomes it's own culture.

Kudos to him. I don't begrudge the guy because he has without a doubt THE BEST marketing, advertising and packaging team quite possible ever.

But I think it would be intelluctally dishonest to ignore the fact that millions of people do in fact buy Apple producst simply because it has an Apple Logo on it and feel they are part of the "hip trend" even though their may be better perfoming products out there.

I have the very first iPhone, it's still working great but if it breaks down I will look around and see what's the best option for me. I may end up buying another iPhone but I don't blindly buy products . "Apple must have Apple"
to say that aren't millions out there that do this is being dishonest.

But Kudos to Apple. That is the ultimate goal of any Marketing team and they've accomplished that.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:01 PM   #49
Neil
Addict
Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 6, iPad Air, Kindles HD 8, HD 10, Oasis 3, Scribe, PB Color
Hi -- Harry T. pointed me to this thread which somehow I missed in a search. But the new OLED screens look pretty exciting. The original rumor seems to have been originated by Digitimes (http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20100713PD207.html) and they seem to indicate that the screens have already been pre-ordered which would make this a pretty substantial rumor. One interesting thing I found is that the iPhone 4 was originally supposed to be OLED but Apple moved away from that technology mostly because of the lack of OLED availability from suppliers. But Samsung has recently kicked production into high gear. Over at http://www.joyofipad.com we have posted a video of some new, flexible OLED screens that is really amazing! (I would have liked to have left it here but can't figure out how). Anyway, I doubt that you will be able to pick up a new iPad and roll it into a tight cylindrical shape but flexible OLEDs are certainly, as the video shows, difficult to shatter. Anyway, coupled to better sunlight reading what price point do you think Steve Jobs would have to come in at to really threaten to corner the ereader marketplace?
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:59 PM   #50
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post

But I think it would be intelluctally dishonest to ignore the fact that millions of people do in fact buy Apple producst simply because it has an Apple Logo on it and feel they are part of the "hip trend" even though their may be better perfoming products out there.
I think it's intellectually dishonest to not acknowledge that you don't know why "millions" of people buy. If you're basing your assumption on people who line up, does that mean people who line up for Harry Potter books and movies, etc., are "sheep" as well? I don't like lines or crowds, but I can see why some people enjoy lining up. To them, it's fun.

Maybe buyers think Apple devices are "better performing products." That's a subjective decision, depending on individual need and preferences. There also are plenty of people who like to stick with brands that have served them well, with reliability and ease of use, for instance. Most people aren't technical, don't keep up with tech news. My parents bought a new DVD player, for instance, and insisted on their old brand. Maybe there are better DVD players out there, but they just wanted to get one they thought would work fine. They're like most people, not fan boys of any products, and getting "the best" isn't their aim.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2010, 03:35 PM   #51
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
Maybe buyers think Apple devices are "better performing products."
Well, from a software point of view, I would definately say so (Excluding OpenGL performance).
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:38 PM   #52
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
Well, from a software point of view, I would definately say so (Excluding OpenGL performance).
That's my point. When most people use their computers to surf the Net, send e-mail and such, do you think that's going to matter to them? That's why individual needs and preferences matter more than specs.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:34 AM   #53
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
That's my point. When most people use their computers to surf the Net, send e-mail and such, do you think that's going to matter to them? That's why individual needs and preferences matter more than specs.
That is true!
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:55 AM   #54
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mknopp View Post
It's more like Apple don't carers. And Google don't carers. Or Microsoft don't carers.
You'll be surprised how little most people care. If you give us a good reasonably priced product we'll buy it. At the end of the day, most of this stuff is made in the same factory in China anyway.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:46 AM   #55
djgreedo
Addict
djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G, HP Touchpad (Android), Samsung Omnia 7
This rumour doesn't make sense. I don't believe for one second that Apple would make a stand-alone ereader using OLED screens.

Firstly, Apple seems to think that the iPad is a great ereader already. A slightly smaller device with an OLED screen is not going to compete with an iPad, especially at Apple prices. Why buy an LCD/OLED 7-inch stand-alone reader when you can get an iPad?

OLED is not much better than LCD (my MP3 player has an OLED screen, and it is the best-looking active screen I've ever seen, but it has all the drawbacks of LCD - battery use, can't read well in sunlight, etc).

This doesn't rule out the possibility of Apple bringing out some iPads with smaller screens aimed more at readers, but it wouldn't be a dedicated reader - what would be the point? It would mean Apple would be artificially limiting the capabilities of their products, and they never do that. Oh...
djgreedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:00 AM   #56
ppw
Connoisseur
ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle DXG, iPad 3
My guess is that the smaller screen ipad is the upgrade path for ipod touch. The ebook reader part is just collateral damage.
ppw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:38 AM   #57
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Quote:
Originally Posted by djgreedo View Post
This doesn't rule out the possibility of Apple bringing out some iPads with smaller screens aimed more at readers, but it wouldn't be a dedicated reader - what would be the point? It would mean Apple would be artificially limiting the capabilities of their products, and they never do that. Oh...
I agree. Apple might release a 6" or 7" 'mini-iPad', but that's exactly what it will be - a mini-iPad. I'm positive that they won't be making a dedicated e-reader. That's a market that is quite niche, and Apple won't limit their devices that way. That's like saying that maybe Apple will release a new, basic iPhone, without the 'smart' functions, or the apps. Just a cheap and simple phone. No, they won't. The very attraction of iPhones and iPads comes in the fact that they can do a lot of different things.

I also don't agree with what someone said before about a new, smaller tablet priced between $150-$200. Not gonna happen. Apple aren't the kind of company that believe in lowering prices to compete. Steve Jobs has always made it clear that Apple (and their target demographic) view their products as 'premium', and believe that customers will pay the extra price for that. To give a crude example, you don't see Armani selling $200 suits just to gain more market-share.

I do believe they might release the mini-iPad, though. A 6"-7" iPad, probably around the $300 mark. But it won't be too soon, I think. The iPad only came out a few months ago, and is selling very well. Maybe in a year or two, once the sales are stagnating, and they have more competitors in the tablet market (HP, Dell, etc.).
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:52 AM   #58
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
I agree. Apple might release a 6" or 7" 'mini-iPad'.
This is gonna get confusing. Many people seem to love describing the iPAD as a humongous iPod Touch. So rather than a mini-iPad, this new device might be described as a "mini- humongous iPod Touch".
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:15 AM   #59
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Yeah, I know...

Maybe they'll just replace the current iTouch with a bigger one, thereby making it a mini-iPad?

That might make sense, in a way. As it currently stands, the iTouch is basically an iPhone minus the phone. Giving it a larger screen and positioning it as a sort of mini-iPad will help differentiate it from the iPhone, as well as introducing something between the iPhone and iPad.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:13 AM   #60
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
mummyiPad, daddyiPad, babyiPad and teeniPad ..... oH I nearly forgot petiPad ......
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote