Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-30-2010, 10:17 AM   #46
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
You can be smug... I've long considered switching to a Mac, but I'm cheap and can't say no to a $400 laptop...
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:19 AM   #47
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexi View Post
Is there any way to take a screenshot? I have just been learning my way around the Sony this morning.
You can make a screenshot of the currently shown display content if you use the russification hack (I think it was the boroda 1.05 version).
It's also adding the clock.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2010, 03:48 AM   #48
Redfox
aka Anne Lyle
Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbookworm View Post
You can be smug... I've long considered switching to a Mac, but I'm cheap and can't say no to a $400 laptop...
Fair enough. For me it's nothing to do with being an Apple fanboy (or rather, girl) - I started switching away from Windows back in 1999, initially just to improve my Unix skills for work, but Linux wasn't progressing fast enough for everyday use (syncing PDAs was a nightmare!). OS X has the perfect combination of Unix-y underpinnings and user-friendly desktop for me - and as a writer, Scrivener is almost a reason in itself to use a Mac!

Sorry, gone off topic there - if I come up with any PRS-600 tips for Mac users, I'll be sure to post them!
Redfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:20 AM   #49
mikij
Connoisseur
mikij doesn't littermikij doesn't litter

Device: PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
I don't understand why the reader could not have been designed to charge from any 5 volt USB socket and still open the Reader Library software automatically when plugged into a a fully functional USB port.
Dave W
Because Sony wants your $30+ for their charger.

However, I think most of us bought the inexpensive PSP compatible chargers (and not from Sony), so finally, they lost money.
mikij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:51 PM   #50
polyormorphie
polyormorphie once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.polyormorphie once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.polyormorphie once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.polyormorphie once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.polyormorphie once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.polyormorphie once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.polyormorphie once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.polyormorphie once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.polyormorphie once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.polyormorphie once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.polyormorphie once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony PRS600
This is a great idea: there is still lots I need to learn about my PRS600. Is it possible to keep books on my Reader that I have deleted from my computer in order to save space on my hard drive?
polyormorphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2010, 03:25 PM   #51
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyormorphie View Post
This is a great idea: there is still lots I need to learn about my PRS600. Is it possible to keep books on my Reader that I have deleted from my computer in order to save space on my hard drive?
This depends on how you organise your book-files. I don't know whether or not the library software or calibre deletes files. I do folder oriented organising. I drag and drop the files I want on the reader and then archive them. As I don't sync with any software, I can latdelete my files directly on the reader without affecting the files on my PC. So I guess it's also possible to delete the files from the PC once they are on the reader as long as the software you use isn't set up to delete files that are no longer on the reader. So my advice would be to check the sync settings of the software you use.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:58 PM   #52
polyormorphie
polyormorphie once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.polyormorphie once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.polyormorphie once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.polyormorphie once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.polyormorphie once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.polyormorphie once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.polyormorphie once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.polyormorphie once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.polyormorphie once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.polyormorphie once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.polyormorphie once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony PRS600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_73 View Post
This depends on how you organise your book-files. I don't know whether or not the library software or calibre deletes files. I do folder oriented organising. I drag and drop the files I want on the reader and then archive them. As I don't sync with any software, I can latdelete my files directly on the reader without affecting the files on my PC. So I guess it's also possible to delete the files from the PC once they are on the reader as long as the software you use isn't set up to delete files that are no longer on the reader. So my advice would be to check the sync settings of the software you use.
Many thanks for responding.
polyormorphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:31 PM   #53
7tronics
7tronics began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital Novel (1GB); Sony PRS-600; Augen "The Book" (returned)
Anyone tested a screen protector that isn't as shiny for 600?

Is there a screen protector that isn't as shiny as the screen for the PRS-600, but still allows the touchscreen to work OK?

Best, Mark
7tronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 05:20 AM   #54
Mike_73
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyormorphie View Post
Many thanks for responding.
You're welcome
Old 08-15-2010, 05:35 PM   #55
emindead
emindead began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
So what's the trick to get more Dictionaries or an update on them on this apparatus?
emindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:34 AM   #56
Mike_73
Guru

The only update you get is whenever the reader rebuilds the database.
PRS+ allows skipping of updating the SD-Card content. This way, the unit would only (maybe) scan the readers internal memory. I never tried though, but I guess that is what was intended. So you would put a big number of books on SD-Card, scan it once and then disable SD-Card scanning and you put only a small amount of lets say periodicals, on the readers memory.

But check out the PRS+ thread for further information.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:46 AM   #57
7tronics

Reader software which preserves markups on PDFs

The Sony PRS-600 software supposedly supports exchange of annotations on PDFs. Has anyone gotten that to work? I see the annotations on the PRS-600, but can't figure a way to synch it with a PC and export those annotations elsewhere using the Sony reader software. Preferred software for me is Calibre since we have other non-Sony readers, and Calibre doesn't seem to have a feature to do this either.

Appreciate pointers here. Thanks, Mark

Last edited by 7tronics; 08-16-2010 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:58 PM   #58
7tronics

PRS-600: able to use both SD and Memory Stick slot at once?

The manual doesn't state, but some reviews note that the max capacity of the PRS-600 external storage is 32GB, 16GB in each of the SD and Memory Stick slots. Now I can see from the load time on my 4GB SD card that I don't want to do that, but is there any problem with putting both an SD card and a Memory Stick in the PRS-600 slots at the same time?

Thanks, Mark
Old 08-16-2010, 05:31 PM   #59
Mike_73
Guru

I tried before and didn't have a problem on my 505. So I assume this should also be possible on the 600 (I never tried there because of said reasons about scanning so that I finally decided to only keep a small portion of my files directly on the reader so it only has to scan one location). If you observed the scan process you will have seen that there's some kind of "re-initiation" of the scan process whenever the unit switches to a different memory location.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:33 PM   #60
lacymarie7575
reading about reading ;->
lacymarie7575 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600, BB
did ya know that you can extend your library book check out time on your reader by going in and manually changing the clocks date to a previous month/day? it works as long as you dont plug your reader into your computer....the comp will update the date/time on your reader automatically
lacymarie7575 is offline   Reply With Quote