Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-08-2009, 10:31 PM   #46
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Raise your hands all of you who remember when eye glasses had glass lenses.
Shyly raising my hand. Those suckers were heavy too. But plastic ones scratch easy unless they have a special coating.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:48 PM   #47
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
Maybe it's just me being an older student (30), I dunno.
I'm sure working to pay your own way has a lot to do with that for sure. Though some folks are very careful with their tools to begin with...my grandfather was a tool & die maker and he always told me first always buy the best tools even if it means buying less now, and second always take care of your tools because they are what let you earn your living. While that made me always take care of my things, it took me a looooong time to fully understand that tools are more than wrenches and hammers.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2009, 04:39 PM   #48
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
I've got a Macbook.. it has a glass screen that is both gorgeous and very worrisome. I love my Macbook, but I hate reading on screens like that and won't do it unless I absolutely, positively, have to. Scimming is fine, but I don't like deep reading on LCD's.
For reading on a LCD, you want a matte plastic screen at minimal brightness levels, no doubt. It's a world of difference between my glossy desktop monitor and my no-glare Wind with hotkeys for brightness. I'm about two months and three novels into using a netbook as a reader, and I'm having no issues with eyestrain so far, with thirty-one-year-old eyes that have seen rough wear and weren't grade A to start.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:06 PM   #49
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
That's how I used my previous macbook (matte screen), I still don't like it. I'll read comic books on it, but that's about it.

@brecklundin - absolutely. Took me a while to figure that out too... it's great to buy something nice and cheap, but it is much better to buy quality products and know you can depend on them. And then take good care of them. When I was in my 20's I had the cheapest computers I could find, cheapest phones, etc..... I don't use the best now, but I use very good and it's worth it and I spend less in the long run.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote