Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-22-2009, 05:02 PM   #46
snape
Language Lover
snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.

Device: Current: PRS-350, Kindle PW // Previous: PRS-505, Kindle 1, Kindle 2
After much internal debate, I finally decided to return my K2. I was an early K1 owner, and had been perfectly happy with Amazon, the Kindle (both 1 and 2) and the Kindle store. But the compilation of recent issues - the takedown, forced and undocumented software updates, the crippling of TTS - put too many cracks in the trust I had previously placed in Amazon. They're at the top of a slippery slope, and their actions make me think they could do anything next, i.e., issuing a software patch that disallows kindlefix'd books, etc.

I know Sony has had its own trust issues, so I'm not saying they're perfect. But from my perspective, I was just more comfortable with a 505 than a Kindle that - as it turns out - would continue to be controlled by Amazon, even though I had paid for it.

I'm in Seattle, and I have several friends who work at Amazon. I like supporting the local economy. Amazon had to work damn hard to lose my business, but they proved they were up to the task. I didn't have any faith that complaining to Amazon would bring about a change in their behavior, so I decided to express my displeasure with my wallet rather than my words.

But I understand those folks that are holding on to their K2s. I loved mine, and will miss it. Fortunately, the 505 is also a sexy little beast.

Last edited by snape; 03-22-2009 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Fat fingers
snape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 05:37 PM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgauth View Post
I would love to get a 505, but it needs one more font size. The biggest is just a tad too small. Having looked at them all, looks like I am out for this generation as none of them suit me. My hopes were on the 505 as a last resort til I saw only 3 font sizes.

Maybe in a year...
But if you generate the content yourself, you can get the font size the way you want. What I do is purchase in a format where I can strip the DRM, strip the DRM, convert to LRF or ePub and enjoy. That way, I get my content that I can keep if I want and I get to make the fonts the size I want.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2009, 05:44 PM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyliedork View Post
Yes, but sony can't be compared with apple or amazon, they have a master's degree from asshole university in rootkit debacles

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_So...ection_scandal
And Amazon have a history of screwing people over with eBooks. And because of that, do you want to risk that they'll do it again? In fact, they already are with newspapers, periodicals, and blogs. If your Kindle was to need replacing, and any of the fore mentioned content is no longer available at Amazon, your new Kindle will not work with the content you previously purchased and there would be no way to redownload it. So say any issues of a given newspaper you wanted to keep, you can forget it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:44 PM   #49
CRoss
Bibliophile
CRoss began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
There's simply no way I'd return my Kindle over this issue. Do I think Amazon is losing legit customers with their actions? Yes. Will I be one of them? No.
CRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:29 PM   #50
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
I have no control over it. If my gf had to make a choice between her new kindle and me, I would be in big trouble.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert