Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old Today, 08:15 AM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_pluto View Post
A little late, but I just saw this and I'll give it a go! Thank you!
Are you doing pseudo elements for yourself or for something for sale? If it's for sale, forget the pseudo elements and use spans. If it's for you, go for it.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:18 AM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
On epub3 first-line pseudo elements is honored. On Kobo for Android and iOS, works for both, epub and kepub. But I don't know if the rendering engine of your Kobo Sage have been updated with the last version.
You have it wrong about Kobo. Kobo uses an older version of RMSDK and it pseudo elements DO NOT WORK. For KePub, yes. For ePub, no.

So if it's a book for sale, use spans and not pseudo elements.
Advert
Old Today, 09:09 AM   #48
m_pluto
m_pluto began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Are you doing pseudo elements for yourself or for something for sale? If it's for sale, forget the pseudo elements and use spans. If it's for you, go for it.
It's just for my own consumption, I'm rather particular about how I like my books to be formatted on my e-reader. I also prefer the pseudo element for first-line because it dynamically adapts to the first line. I did use <span> for a while early on, but I really didn't like how it looked to have the first 2-5 words defined and the rest of the line looking different. Plus it was a lot more work to go in with <span> for the first paragraph of every chapter & first paragraph after every ornamental/section break.

Though speaking of books for commercial sale, I've actually seen a fair number of them that use the pseudo element for first line, so *shrug*.

And I have it set up so that all my epubs are sent to my kobo as kepubs, so it's not a problem for me to get them to render. I figure I'll stick with using kepubs as it's less work to use a pseudo element than to manually break up html files in the editor to get a page break.

Last edited by m_pluto; Today at 09:15 AM.
m_pluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:13 AM   #49
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15/11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You have it wrong about Kobo. Kobo uses an older version of RMSDK and it pseudo elements DO NOT WORK. For KePub, yes. For ePub, no.

So if it's a book for sale, use spans and not pseudo elements.
Pseudo elements have been around for a VERY long time...possibly longer than e-books... I would be VERY surprised, and disappointed, if Kobo didn't support such a very basic selector. Are you sure it isn't supported at all, or maybe you missed an update or something???
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:48 AM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Pseudo elements have been around for a VERY long time...possibly longer than e-books... I would be VERY surprised, and disappointed, if Kobo didn't support such a very basic selector. Are you sure it isn't supported at all, or maybe you missed an update or something???
It's not supported for ePub but is for KePub. There are two different renderers. RMSDK used for ePub is old and doesn't work with pseudo elements. But the renderer for KePub does work with pseudo elements.
Advert
Old Today, 09:49 AM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_pluto View Post
It's just for my own consumption, I'm rather particular about how I like my books to be formatted on my e-reader. I also prefer the pseudo element for first-line because it dynamically adapts to the first line. I did use <span> for a while early on, but I really didn't like how it looked to have the first 2-5 words defined and the rest of the line looking different. Plus it was a lot more work to go in with <span> for the first paragraph of every chapter & first paragraph after every ornamental/section break.

Though speaking of books for commercial sale, I've actually seen a fair number of them that use the pseudo element for first line, so *shrug*.

And I have it set up so that all my epubs are sent to my kobo as kepubs, so it's not a problem for me to get them to render. I figure I'll stick with using kepubs as it's less work to use a pseudo element than to manually break up html files in the editor to get a page break.
And if you were reading any eBooks with a pseudo element on your Kobo in ePub, it would not work. You have to read KePub for them to work.

Tags
epub, kepub, kobo, kobo sage, pseudo-elements