Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-17-2021, 12:19 AM   #46
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by droopy View Post
Sirtel,
I created a new library and moved my CBZ and PDFs into it. It's about 11GB in size.
You advise zipping the new library folder up. How is that better than getting Calibre to "Export library" into the 1GB .data chunks?
Export library will backup the entire library. In my experience, it's also slower than a straight-up zip. I don't know if Calibre uses a proprietary format for archiving either.

If you only need to backup the library and not configuration data, I find it a lot simpler to just use regular tools to handle the library backup. You can still split library files anyway.

Personally, here's what I would do in your case (apart from buying another drive which is the simplest solution):
  1. tag the books with the backup library name
  2. for each backup set:
    1. create the backup library
    2. copy the books to the backup library
    3. create a catalog
    4. zip/tar the backup library
    5. move the zip and catalog to Google Drive
    6. delete the backup library
    7. delete only the formats for the books you just backed up from the original library but keep the metadata entries
    8. rinse and repeat
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 12:38 AM   #47
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
ILoveJedd, welcome to this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Export library will backup the entire library.
Not sure if you had the chance to read the entire thread for context....SirTel's advice involves more than one library. For that reason, I'm afraid I'm not sure what you mean by "the entire library". Which library? Both the old and new libraries?

Quote:
If you only need to backup the library and not configuration data, I find it a lot simpler to just use regular tools to handle the library backup. You can still split library files anyway.
Well, the plan is to do a partial backup. (If you could kindly read the rest of thread, it may help you understand what I mean.) So, though I may not need the configuration data backed up in the secondary library (the library that's gonna be backed up to the cloud), I do wish to back up the config data with the library that will remain on my laptop.

Quote:
Personally, here's what I would do in your case (apart from buying another drive which is the simplest solution):
  2. for each backup set:
    3. create a catalog
    7. delete only the formats for the books you just backed up from the original library but keep the metadata entries
    8. rinse and repeat
I noted that step g ("delete only the formats for the books, but keep the metadata entries") is rather different from SirTel's advice.
If I'm understanding you correctly, the advantage behind your plan is that I get to trim my Calibre library's size on my laptop while still knowing what books are in my entire collection. Is this correct? If so, I like this idea.
My worry/concern though with this idea is that, later on (whenever I'll reunite with my desktop computer with a larger storage capacity), it will be tedious to "merge" the "formats for the backed up books" back with the "format-less" "metadata entries". Correct me if I'm wrong.... merging the "formats" (the book files) with their corresponding metadata entries means opening each metadata entry up and drag and dropping the PDF or EPUB or CBZ or AZW into the upper-right "format" box. When I imagine having to do this for 6,000 titles, I have to say, "Sorry, but that's a whole lot of time". Am I misunderstanding the workflow for merging?

Last edited by droopy; 01-22-2021 at 10:10 PM.
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2021, 12:53 AM   #48
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Not sure if you had the chance to read the entire thread for context....SirTel's advice involves more than one library. For that reason, I'm afraid I'm not sure what you mean by "the entire library". Which library? Both the old and new libraries?
You can choose the libraries you want to export.

Quote:
Well, the plan is to do a partial backup. (If you could kindly read the rest of thread, it may help you understand what I mean.) So, though I may not need the configuration data backed up in the secondary library (the library that's gonna be backed up to the cloud), I do wish to back up the config data with the library that will remain on my laptop.
I'm aware. You'll note the steps I posted are for partial backups. I meant to type "You can still split zip files anyway" in case you prefer to upload smaller 1GB chunks for backup or something.

Quote:
I noted that step g ("delete only the formats for the books, but kee the metadata entries") is rather different from SirTel's advice.
If I'm understanding you correctly, the advantage behind your plan is that I get to trim my Calibre library's size on my laptop while still knowing what books are in my entire collection. Is this correct? If so, I like this idea.
My worry/concern though with this idea is that, later on (whenever I'll reunite with my desktop computer with a larger storage capacity), it will be tedious to "merge" the "formats for the backed up books" back with the " format-less" "metadata entries". Correct me if I'm wrong.... merging the "formats" (the book files) with their corresponding metadata entries means opening each metadata entry up and drag and dropping the PDF or EPUB or CBZ or AZW into the upper-right "format" box. When I imagine having to do this for 6,000 titles, I have to say, "Sorry, but that's a whole lot of time". Am I misunderstanding the workflow for merging?
Yes, being able to know and search for offloaded books is the advantage with this method.

Iirc, there's an option in Calibre to merge similar/identical entries when copying books between libraries. No need to handle this manually.

Alternately, you could always filter the empty entries in the original by the backup tag, delete them, and then do the copy from the backup library.
Old 01-17-2021, 01:15 AM   #49
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Personally, here's what I would do in your case:
  2. for each backup set:
    3. create a catalog
    8. rinse and repeat
About Step G. What's the quickest/best way to bulk-delete the "formats" for a group of books at once?
Quote:
I'm aware. You'll note the steps I posted are for partial backups. I meant to type "You can still split zip files anyway" in case you prefer to upload smaller 1GB chunks for backup or something.
Ok, thank you for clarifying and for taking the time to read the thread.

Quote:
Yes, being able to know and search for offloaded books is the advantage with this method.
I love this. I was gonna create a CSV for each separate library. But your method is much nicer.

Quote:
Iirc, there's an option in Calibre to merge similar/identical entries when copying books between libraries. No need to handle this manually.
Hopefully someone can say how to do this.

Quote:
Alternately, you could always filter the empty entries in the original by the backup tag, delete them, and then do the copy from the backup library.
Ok. Good idea.
Old 01-17-2021, 10:08 AM   #50
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
What happens if I create a new column in one of the libraries (old or new) and merge the two libraries later on?
If there are more columns in the library you're copying TO, nothing will happen. Those column entries will just remain empty for the copied books.

If there are more columns in the library you're copying FROM, you'll get asked if you want to create the same columns in the other library. You can choose to create them or not, as you wish. The books get copied over in either case.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2021, 10:50 AM   #51
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
What happens if I create a new column in one of the libraries (old or new) and merge the two libraries later on?
It asks ONE TIME (first time it discovers it (target) needs another field. I believe it will NOT copy any preferences that make use of that field)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 12:16 PM   #52
droopy
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
It asks ONE TIME (first time it discovers it (target) needs another field. I believe it will NOT copy any preferences that make use of that field)
Hi Ducks,
When I hear the word "preferences", I think of the "Settings" that every program has. But I think you don't mean that. What do you mean by preferences when it comes to columns?
Old 01-17-2021, 01:08 PM   #53
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
About Step G. What's the quickest/best way to bulk-delete the "formats" for a group of books at once?
Right Click -> Remove books -> Remove all formats from selected books

Quote:
I love this. I was gonna create a CSV for each separate library. But your method is much nicer.
It's still a good idea to create separate CSV files for each backup/archived library to keep on Google Drive. This just gives you more options for searching/browsing your archived books.

Quote:
Hopefully someone can say how to do this.
Assuming menu options haven't changed significantly from 3.38 (on Windows 7)

Preferences -> Adding books -> Adding actions -> Auto-merge added books if they already exist ->
a. Ignore duplicate incoming formats
b. Overwrite existing duplicate formats

If you're copying from backup library to original for merging, option a. keeps the copy from original library (if it exists) and option b. keeps the copy from the backup library.

With that said, I don't know how metadata gets handled when merging. Tags, etc. are likely fine but long text such as comments might get appended. It might be better to just delete the empty entries from the original library first before copying from the backup library.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 01-17-2021 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-17-2021, 01:20 PM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Does this look good? Pls see attached screenshot
If the new library is to be synced to a cloud server, then don't do it. That can cause problems with your library.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 01:23 PM   #55
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If the new library is to be synced to a cloud server, then don't do it. That can cause problems with your library.
The OP will zip the library folder and upload it as a zipped file.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 02:44 PM   #56
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you had read the thread, you would realize that the OP plans to archive the library folder into a compressed file and put that into the cloud.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 03:40 PM   #57
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra H2O, Libra Colour
I can't help but think that attempting to zip things is pointless. Maybe a simple tar of the library makes more sense
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 05:23 PM   #58
droopy
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I can't help but think that attempting to zip things is pointless. Maybe a simple tar of the library makes more sense
Pointless because the library's files is already quite compacted?
Old 01-17-2021, 05:58 PM   #59
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra H2O, Libra Colour
Quote:
Pointless because the library's files is already quite compacted?
Correct
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 07:42 PM   #60
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Compressibility really depends on the format, doesn't it? Plain text/HTML files tend to compress pretty well. ePubs are technically just renamed zips, and trying to compress an already compressed file just tends to produce overhead. And PDF depends on how well-optimized it is in the first place.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote