Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-23-2020, 03:56 PM   #46
axal
axal began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by J827372 View Post
I wonder what innovation people want to see that would be a significant improvement?
Note taking with a pen on a bigger screen, so it can be used more like a paper book. I think that would be a huge upgrade and the most useful one. Lot of people like to scribble or underline while they read, especially in textbooks.
axal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 05:15 PM   #47
Luminose
Luminose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luminose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luminose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luminose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luminose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luminose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luminose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luminose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luminose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luminose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luminose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by axal View Post
Note taking with a pen on a bigger screen, so it can be used more like a paper book. I think that would be a huge upgrade and the most useful one. Lot of people like to scribble or underline while they read, especially in textbooks.
Imagine the price though. I have a 10” Onyx Boox and they’re easily $500+. That said I’d replace it in a second for a Kindle brand. Onyx software is janky and poorly updated. I would love a 10” kindle Fire with an e-ink screen and stylus.
Luminose is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2020, 05:25 PM   #48
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by axal View Post
Even with an iPad Pro and an Apple Pencil, most e-book apps don't allow for handwritten notes. The apps aren't designed that way. You have to invoke the keyboard and type any notes you want to make.

I can make handwritten notes in apps like Pages or Notability, because they are designed to be used that way. E-book apps are designed to "give" info, not absorb it.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 06:56 PM   #49
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Even with an iPad Pro and an Apple Pencil, most e-book apps don't allow for handwritten notes. The apps aren't designed that way. You have to invoke the keyboard and type any notes you want to make.

I can make handwritten notes in apps like Pages or Notability, because they are designed to be used that way. E-book apps are designed to "give" info, not absorb it.
iPadOS 14 will support handwriting recognition in any text field, i.e. in any reading app that lets you type notes. It works well in the beta, should get even better. Of course you cannot draw diagrams etc. unless the app is ready to accept those.

Last edited by tomsem; 07-23-2020 at 07:12 PM.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 07:17 PM   #50
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
iPadOS 14 will support handwriting recognition in any text field, i.e. in any reading app that lets you type notes. It works well in the beta, should get even better. Of course you cannot draw diagrams etc. unless the app is ready to accept those.
So it converts it to typed text? Just like as if you typed it?
Advert
Old 07-23-2020, 09:14 PM   #51
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Does the "handwriting" include 'script' handwriting or just 'printing'?

I don't believe that the 'handwriting' will recognize everyone's script handwriting; would love to see what came out with some names as written by people. The fingerprint recognition does not understand my fingerprint; but then DMV doesn't understand my thumbprint either.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 12:58 AM   #52
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
So it converts it to typed text? Just like as if you typed it?
Yes: https://www.apple.com/ipados/ipados-preview/

It should also work with Logitech Crayon (for sure) and other ‘active’ capacitative styluses (I think).
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 01:40 AM   #53
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Who remembers that special way of writing you had to use on the Palm Pilot?
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 09:27 AM   #54
Deskisamess
Wizard

Handwriting recognition isn't the same as handwritten notes that are wanted by some users. I've always took those requests to mean those users want to "write" their notes on the margins or blank spaces on the screen, and have them stay looking like a handwritten note.
Old 07-24-2020, 10:19 AM   #55
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
Who remembers that special way of writing you had to use on the Palm Pilot?
Or the Apple Newton's totally rubbish handwriting recognition compared to later Palm.
The Newton was just over hyped. Steve made a mistake dumping it.

I have a Palm Z22. The recognition isn't bad and it's not hard to learn the stylised input gestures. It's gesture recognition rather than real handwriting recognition, which is still rubbish for script on anything. "Printed" letters are hard enough.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 10:25 AM   #56
axal
axal began at the beginning.

Quote:

I understand limitations of today's technology but there will be progress eventually. It just seems natural to me that a reading device can also provide a writing option as a next big thing.

Color e-ink is possibly the best contender for the next big thing kindle will give us, but apart from having colorful covers I don't see a lot of benefit (it's still not good enough for comics). I doubt amazon will rush with that

Amazon is a big enough company to take these devices even furter, it's just a matter if they want to, or they will follow someone elses inovations. Or they will just give us usb-c and shut us up for next few years :P

Quote:
Handwriting recognition isn't the same as handwritten notes that are wanted by some vutusers. I've always took those requests to mean those users want to "write" their notes on the margins or blank spaces on the screen, and have them stay looking like a handwritten note.
I would use it like that, and my wish goes in that direction. But everyone uses device differently and handwriting recognition has a lot of benefits. But all in good time
axal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 01:29 PM   #57
Gandulf
Addict
Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4
So nobody knows anything till the new models are on the shelves? Are they that good at keeping things secret?
Gandulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 02:06 PM   #58
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandulf View Post
So nobody knows anything till the new models are on the shelves? Are they that good at keeping things secret?
It's always possible there's just nothing out there to find.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 03:14 PM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The 11th Gen Kindle is going to have a new feature. EOLed one year after release.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 10:46 AM   #60
Mnementh
Groupie
Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The 11th Gen Kindle is going to have a new feature. EOLed one year after release.

For heavens sake give it a rest already.
Mnementh is offline   Reply With Quote