Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-06-2016, 08:51 AM   #46
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarrod View Post
I'm pretty much sold on the Oasis already, the only thing that keeps me from ordering is the price (read: the look on my wife's face when the mailman arrives)
Bah, do the same as I did with the One... Just order it and take the tongue lashing while you're playing with your new toy (I wonder what my husband will say when there's more than just that keyboard in the box )
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 12:05 PM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, I must admit that the modern trend towards ever lighter and thinner devices is not one I personally favour. I find some modern phones and reader too thin to comfortably hold, which is one reason (in addition to the protection issue) that I always have the device in a case. I really don't want a reader which will float away in a light breeze .
Apple is screwing up the design of the iPhone 7 by making is so think there's no room for the 3.5mm headphone jack. Also, by making devices thinner, the battery has to be smaller hence the Oasis. I'd prefer a thicker device that's easier to hold and can hold a larger capacity battery.

Also, if by making it thinner, we have to lose some features, then leave it thicker.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2016, 12:05 PM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Bah, do the same as I did with the One... Just order it and take the tongue lashing while you're playing with your new toy (I wonder what my husband will say when there's more than just that keyboard in the box )
What if he says it has to go back?

My wife would never order something expensive without letting me know beforehand. Also, I would not do that without letting her know. When I told my wife I wanted the H2O, she didn't think I needed it. But she didn't try to stop me from ordering it. And that means she knew about it ahead of time and i didn't have to hide it from her or tell her after I got it. I don't like to keep secrets or for her to keep secrets especially when it concerns a decent amount of money.

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-06-2016 at 12:08 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:11 AM   #49
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What if he says it has to go back?

My wife would never order something expensive without letting me know beforehand. Also, I would not do that without letting her know. When I told my wife I wanted the H2O, she didn't think I needed it. But she didn't try to stop me from ordering it. And that means she knew about it ahead of time and i didn't have to hide it from her or tell her after I got it. I don't like to keep secrets or for her to keep secrets especially when it concerns a decent amount of money.
He won't, because he knows I won't buy anything that we cannot afford. And I did tell him! We got some money back because we used less energy (due to the solar panels). And I told him that was exactly the amount of the One. So, if he didn't know, he should listen better :P

(his reaction: don't you already have enough? and then continued with what he was doing, he knows me well enough after more than 20 years )
Old 09-09-2016, 11:38 AM   #50
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Apple is screwing up the design of the iPhone 7 by making is so think there's no room for the 3.5mm headphone jack. Also, by making devices thinner, the battery has to be smaller hence the Oasis. I'd prefer a thicker device that's easier to hold and can hold a larger capacity battery.

Also, if by making it thinner, we have to lose some features, then leave it thicker.
Well, you'll never be happy with any future Kindles then, since their design team has explicitly stated the precise opposite of your goal: lose features if necessary to make the thing ever more like a piece of paper.

Personally I think they may have forgotten that single pieces of paper (or for that matter small numbers of sheets, e.g. in newspapers) are rather too thin and flexible to conveniently read from, but I'm sure they'll remember before their make-it-thinner crusade gets *that* far.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2016, 12:01 PM   #51
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
The design team needs to focus on eliminating the gradient on the flush screens.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 05:02 PM   #52
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
This advice is for Sarrod -

I'm not suggesting you do this, but this is what I would do:

"You get to choose first, sweetheart, but you can only choose one item. What you don't choose is mine!"

I feel confident that she will make the correct decision and that further discord in your household will end. It may also improve your cleaning skills.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hoover-1.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	151519   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lamborghini.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	151520   Click image for larger version

Name:	Amazon_Kindle_Oasis_merlot_01.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	151521  

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 09-10-2016 at 05:07 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 05:16 PM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

"You get to choose first, sweetheart, but you can only choose one item. What you don't choose is mine!"

I feel confident that she will make the correct decision and that further discord in your household will end. It may also improve your cleaning skills.
None of the above. The Vacuum is too bulky, too heavy, and not a good brand. The car is too expensive and the insurance is going to cost too much. The third option is also too expensive.

If you can change the third option to something ordered from Amazon but not what's pictured, then I'd go with that.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:40 PM   #54
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
None of the above. The Vacuum is too bulky, too heavy, and not a good brand. The car is too expensive and the insurance is going to cost too much. The third option is also too expensive.

If you can change the third option to something ordered from Amazon but not what's pictured, then I'd go with that.

Well, sweetheart.......
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:53 PM   #55
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Why does this thread remind me of the "wheel of fish" scene in UHF?
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 11:30 AM   #56
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Why does this thread remind me of the "wheel of fish" scene in UHF?
I thought the Oasis tuna fish thing was done with! (But just in case it isn't, I can say that you'd have to wrass-le mine out of my cod dead hands.)
Old 09-11-2016, 12:53 PM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Oh no, could not have a Reader that smells of Tuna. Just imagine how it will smell after say 1 month. Bad enough that the neighbors will call the health department.
Old 09-11-2016, 03:26 PM   #58
NullNix
Guru

Quote:
Oh no, could not have a Reader that smells of Tuna. Just imagine how it will smell after say 1 month. Bad enough that the neighbors will call the health department.
That would be most unfortunate.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:14 AM   #59
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Yes, I'll have the car while you can go cleaning while reading that book!
Old 09-13-2016, 07:31 AM   #60
Sarrod
Sarrod began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 2015
Quote:

LOL
Sarrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, oasis, voyage