Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 06-22-2014, 11:21 AM   #46
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmadhupk View Post
Good news.

After several installs uinstalls wipes cleanups reinstalls of all the related apps, EVERY ASPECT OF THE APP WORKS PERFECTLY.
1. I am saving books on custom folder on sd card. (Not on phone memory or the folder suggested by cc to store on sd card)
2. Moon+ and all other chm readers show up for every chm file.
3. Pdb files open directly with isilo
4. All this with V3.3.5c

Thanks a lot for all the help and patience @chaley
That is good news!

I wonder what reinstalling the apps changed? My suspicion is the "open with" defaults, but I couldn't find a way to break anything with that.

Thanks for taking the time to help me.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:23 AM   #47
drmadhupk
Connoisseur
drmadhupk began at the beginning.

Device: android
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Looking at the details for this book and the other one that doesn't work, I note that the non-working one has a period in the title and thus the file name. The working one has no period in the file name.

Is this generally true? That files with no periods in the name offer moon+ as an option, but files with periods in the name do not? If so, I think I understand some of what might be happening.
yes that did the trick. that was the problem I think.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1403450460065.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	124508

this time I have chosen this option

and my book names look like this

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1403450523450.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	124509

whatever dot was in the file name earlier was by default transferred by calibre. I think calibre developers sholud be conacted to debug this issue.
drmadhupk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2014, 11:26 AM   #48
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
yes that did the trick. that was the problem I think.

this time I have chosen this option

and my book names look like this

whatever dot was in the file name earlier was by default transferred by calibre. I think calibre developers sholud be conacted to debug this issue.
I am the calibre developer in question, so you just contacted me.

I need to find a way to repeat the problem on a device I have. Once I have done that then I can fix it.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:28 AM   #49
drmadhupk
Connoisseur

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1403450874350.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	124510

This works. Not the earlier one with period in file name.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:32 AM   #50
drmadhupk
Connoisseur

Just a small "dot" scr###d whole of my weekend and yours too

Just kidding.
Excellent work.
Thanks a lot.
Advert
Old 06-22-2014, 12:01 PM   #51
drmadhupk
Connoisseur

Just did one more experiment.

Unistalled V3.3.5c and installed from play store (3.3.5 22nd may version). It still has issues and fails to offer readers with the same settings where 3.3.5c worked. Using file id as file name also doesnt resolve issues with play store version.

But reinstalled V3.3.5c and no issues.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:49 PM   #52
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Just a small "dot" scr###d whole of my weekend and yours too

Just kidding.
Excellent work.
Thanks a lot.
I managed to repeat the dot problem. It is almost certainly an android bug. File names like "aaa.aaa.epub" seemed to be treated as file base name "aaa" with extension "aaa.epub". This breaks things when looking for apps that can handle files where no file type (mimetype) is supplied.

I think I have fixed it. It works in my tests.

I am still debating with myself whether I should change calibre to not include the extra dots in the file name. I probably should, just to be sure.

Quote:
Just did one more experiment.

Unistalled V3.3.5c and installed from play store (3.3.5 22nd may version). It still has issues and fails to offer readers with the same settings where 3.3.5c worked. Using file id as file name also doesnt resolve issues with play store version.

But reinstalled V3.3.5c and no issues.
Good. At least I fixed some bugs in our scr###d afternoon.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:44 PM   #53
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra H2O, Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
I am still debating with myself whether I should change calibre to not include the extra dots in the file name. I probably should, just to be sure.
Will this affect USB attached devices as well as the Wireless connection? Kobo format eBubs (kepubs) DO have an extra dot in the file name; foo.kepub.epub ...
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:15 AM   #54
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Will this affect USB attached devices as well as the Wireless connection? Kobo format eBubs (kepubs) DO have an extra dot in the file name; foo.kepub.epub ...
No. If I make the change then it will be in the wireless device driver only.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:05 AM   #55
drmadhupk
Connoisseur

Scenario: I wanted to transfer few books to usb drive attached to my phone via usb otg.

I noticed:
1. Inability to select multiple books at a time to send to usb drive. (Only one book can be copied at a time)
2. I cannot use native file manager to do so. (I had to use es file explorer)
3. Books so sent have 36 letter id as file name and not the name of the book. (This we have discussed yesterday. Hope @chaley has fixed this and here onwards we can use book names as file names)

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1403507036686.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	124530Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1403507054471.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	124531Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1403507080206.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	124532Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1403507098255.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	124533
Old 06-23-2014, 03:26 AM   #56
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Scenario: I wanted to transfer few books to usb drive attached to my phone via usb otg.

I noticed:
1. Inability to select multiple books at a time to send to usb drive. (Only one book can be copied at a time)
3. Books so sent have 36 letter id as file name and not the name of the book. (This we have discussed yesterday. Hope @chaley has fixed this and here onwards we can use book names as file names)
This is all expected behavior. CC is not a file manager so 1 book at a time is the norm. Also until you change back to using file names by unchecking use Book ID number then the file name will be the book id.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:29 AM   #57
drmadhupk
Connoisseur

Is it not possible to implement multiple books selection for sending books to usb (like in calibre)?

One more nightmarish scenario is, if I have uninstall cc for some reason, is it not possible to retain books with metadata in the folder selected by me? So that after I reinstall cc and point to that folder, it should be able to show up the books as earlier and I need not transfer tens of gbs of books again wirelessly.

These are the two things that bother me right now. I have been meddling with cc to know pros and cons. I have transferred only a few books from calibre for sake of testing. I want to understand all aspects of app before I transfer whole of my calibre library containing hundreds of books amounting to more than 25gb.

I know this is not the thread I should be discussing this. They might have been answered else where. Moderator please move the post to relevant thread in case it doesnt fit here.

Thanks
Old 06-23-2014, 03:41 AM   #58
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

I noticed:
This is true and won't change. CC isn't intended to be a file manager. The Send book to app command is provided to permit interaction with apps like Google Books that insist on doing rather complex importing.
Quote:
Probably because of kitkat and the SD card. Nothing CC can do about it. My guess is that eventually even the door that (I think) ES File Manager uses will be closed by Google.
Quote:
I have changed CC so that it does not present file names with multiple dots to Android. This fixed the problem in my test environment.

I decided not to change the wireless device driver in calibre. This is one of those places where unintended consequences could be unpleasant. One example is the one PeterT presented, where the two dots must be in the file name. I am sure there are others.

FWIW: I don't know if anyone is using CC with kepubs. It is in theory possible.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:46 AM   #59
drmadhupk
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
This is all expected behavior. CC is not a file manager so 1 book at a time is the norm. Also until you change back to using file names by unchecking use Book ID number then the file name will be the book id.
thanks.
but if I untick book id number, file names will have periods in them and will not open with some readers like moon+. I wanted to know whether @chaley has fixed this yet.
not to offend, but moon+ is also not a file manager but there one can select multiple files to move or copy.

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1403509528105.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	124538
Old 06-23-2014, 03:51 AM   #60
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Is it not possible to implement multiple books selection for sending books to usb (like in calibre)?
Answered in the previous post. This isn't going to happen.
Quote:
One more nightmarish scenario is, if I have uninstall cc for some reason, is it not possible to retain books with metadata in the folder selected by me? So that after I reinstall cc and point to that folder, it should be able to show up the books as earlier and I need not transfer tens of gbs of books again wirelessly.
One of the backup apps like Titanium should take care of this. The question was discussed in this thread. I don't know if the OP (bobkoure) has gone through a restore cycle.

As mentioned in that thread, CC doesn't have a database backup/restore function. Building such a thing is a non-trivial amount of work. I think that from a general user perspective, other development is more important.