Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-23-2012, 01:28 PM   #46
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I am a member of Free Library Philadelphia. While they, IMHO, have an overall good selection very few of the titles added the last few months have interested me.
I do accept that even if they are of close to zero interest to me, others think differently.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:31 PM   #47
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear 100 View Post
I guess I will have to be patient, but my question is to those more knowledgeable are the libraries increasing their commitment to e-books in general? I just saw a study on CNN that 19% of adults have e-readers. While many will by their content, I would think demand at the libraries must be growing?
Demand is definitely growing with both the increase in ereader ownership over the holidays and the prior inclusion of Kindles into library lending. Waiting times have skyrocketed at many libraries as more and more people discover the availability of ebooks.

Check this thread out to see how libraries are increasing their ebook collections.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2012, 01:48 PM   #48
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear 100 View Post
I am new to all this, got my first e-reader this Christmas. I hoped to use my local library which is promoting e-books. I found out that the selection is very limited. I also have a Phoenix AZ library card, while the selection is better, is still is not great.
I guess I will have to be patient, but my question is to those more knowledgeable are the libraries increasing their commitment to e-books in general? I just saw a study on CNN that 19% of adults have e-readers. While many will by their content, I would think demand at the libraries must be growing?
Phoenix has one of the largest and best e-libraries in the US. I think what you are discovering reiterates the point of this thread that the latest additions are going downhill. Too many publishers are choosing not to add new or front-list titles. My recommendation is to take a different approach to your searches. Seek out some of your favorite authors to see what's available or books more than a year old that you've been meaning to read. Try also searching through their genre sections. Lucky for me I've been using my e-library since 2009 and have built a long wishlist so it is easier to find the older gems amongst the clutter of the new books. I recommend you also start wishlist. Good luck!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:48 PM   #49
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Yes, Bear, the LIBRARIES are increasing their commitment, but the PUBLISHERS are mostly decreasing their commitment. The publisher can make it impossible for libraries to buy and loan out their ebooks, and several are doing just that.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:26 PM   #50
VeggieCat
Bacon Enthusiast
VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10, Kindle Voyage, iPod Nano 7th gen (for audiobooks)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I recommend you also start wishlist.
Ditto this. The wish list is very useful when you want to find something to read quick that you know has already captured your interest.

The downside to this is you may end up like me and have a huge wish list with no chance of it ever getting smaller because you add items to it faster than you delete them because you've read them

No...wait...can't...mustn't...click "add to wishlist" button........have...too much...already...
VeggieCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2012, 07:50 PM   #51
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Has anyone else noticed that the selection of new eBooks via Overdrive from the library has been going downhill fast?
Not really, but then, I tend to search by subject rather than what's new.

I definitely have noticed the new book shelves at my physical public library having the same titles every time I go. And yet they have the money for two of the six libraries in our system to be currently closed for expansion construction. I was thinking of putting an angry-face emoticon here, but I guess it is much easier to raise money for construction than book purchases.

Quote:
I'm seeing desperate purchases like Feng Sui for your Workplace for Dummies type of garbage.
Thanks for reminding me to check to see if there's a new title out for one of my favorites, the Feng Shui Detective series. Sadly, author Nury Vittachi has gone almost four years without a new one.

search.overdrive.com does show every title in the series is available in public libraries somewhere, although rarely in the US.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:01 PM   #52
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieCat View Post
The downside to this is you may end up like me and have a huge wish list with no chance of it ever getting smaller because you add items to it faster than you delete them because you've read them
Amen. I have about 150 titles on my Chicago Public library wishlist. I check the new titles about once a week, and always end up adding a few.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:49 PM   #53
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieCat View Post
Ditto this. The wish list is very useful when you want to find something to read quick that you know has already captured your interest.

No...wait...can't...mustn't...click "add to wishlist" button........have...too much...already...
Also, I don't know about other overdrive sites, but I have a long wishlist and it takes about 3 minutes to delete one item, but about 1 second to add one.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:00 PM   #54
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
There doesn't seem to be much except very light-weight fiction, detective stories, romance etc. I don't mind a few detective or adventure stories for reading to relax, but where are the books about history, ideas, science? Even if they only released books from the back catalogue this would give some more depth to the books available.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:44 PM   #55
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I read a lot of science, history, biographies and business books. My library has a rather large selection of non-fiction books. I recommend everyone visit the Overdrive website to see what titles are available in their catalog and then make a request to your library. I'm sure your library is focusing on what they think their patrons want and that light-detective and romance genre is popular.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:31 AM   #56
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
This article was on my homepage news:

http://my.earthlink.net/article/ent?...c-b12a55431c53

Quote:
New library e-catalogs offer expanded selection

NEW YORK (AP) — Library users searching for e-books will soon get to look through a much bigger catalog and help decide what their local branch might carry.
OverDrive Inc., a major e-distributor for libraries, announced Wednesday the launch of a vastly expanded list for patrons, featuring not just e-books available for lending, but hundreds of thousands of those which include a collected of Edgar Allan Poe stories edited by Michael Connelly to foreign-language titles. Viewers can look at excerpts, purchase books from a retailer or request that their library add an e-book that wasn't being offered.

HarperCollins, which has restricted lending of its e-books, is participating, but not Simon & Schuster, Macmillan and other publishers who don't offer downloads to libraries, citing concerns about lost sales. Potash said he did not intend any criticism, but added that he was a "little bit discouraged that publishers who have built some of their biggest successes around book clubs and word of mouth were underappreciating the value" of the library market.

Looks like Overdrive is trying to satisfy us.
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:26 PM   #57
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Foreign language titles would be terrific!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:34 PM   #58
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
I read that articles and it makes it sound like you'll be able to search hundreds of thousands of books that your library doesn't have. Am I the only one seeing a drawback to this? When I search my library I'm interested in books I can check out right away or put on hold.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:07 PM   #59
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
If you know the books exist in the Overdrive master catalogue, you can suggest a purchase -- that's a huge plus!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:27 PM   #60
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
I have gone back to reading the DTB version of a lot of the new releases because of nonsense from the big six publishers and I have access to a lot of libraries.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote