Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-09-2011, 07:44 PM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
Seriously, if the OP wanted info on your Sony, they would have posted in the Sony forum. Hey, why don't you go check!
It's not just about Sony. It's about all eink readers. All eink readers have the same GLASS substrait that can be broken. Reading without a cover means that if you drop a reader, it has more risk of breaking the screen. And for a lot of people, having a cover can make the reader easier to hold.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:50 PM   #47
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's not just about Sony.
Actually, the question wasn't about Sony at all. I am fascinated, however, by your in depth knowledge concerning the ergonomics of the K3 without having any experience in reading with one. Omnipotence must be such a burden.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2011, 12:32 AM   #48
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Oh, for the love of...

Both the Kindle and the Sony are rectangular, somewhat flattish objects. Really, the ergonomics are NOT that different.

Both have e-ink screens. Drop either one of them on a concrete floor? You've got an e-reader that's FUBAR.
stickybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:45 AM   #49
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickybuns View Post
Oh, for the love of...

Both the Kindle and the Sony are rectangular, somewhat flattish objects. Really, the ergonomics are NOT that different.

Both have e-ink screens. Drop either one of them on a concrete floor? You've got an e-reader that's FUBAR.
that's actually not even the point being made here...
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:57 AM   #50
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I have dropped my Kindle and I have damaged it and I'm still not making any attempt to protect it. So I guess I'm just beyond saving.

When I'm sitting up I have no issues whatsoever with the comfort of the Kindle. I hold it quite lightly and it's quite frankly a dream to read on. It is, however, a bit more awkward when I'm in bed. I'm one of those lie-on-the-side people and I find it a bit harder to work with. I end up with this strange handhold where I use my little finger to turn the pages.
LOL You're a wild man, living dangerously!

I mostly read in bed, and my K3 is just easier for me to manage with a book-style cover. I've tried it bare but it slid around too much. It also disappeared in the bed once or twice. With the cover on, it's harder to lose in my voluminous bedspread and surplus of pillows. Now that I'm used to the cover, it feels strange without it. And of course, being a girl, I'll take any excuse to accessorize!
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2011, 05:27 AM   #51
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
I've had a 500, 505 and now I have a 650. I would never be without a cover. In fact, the cover makes the Reader easier to hold. I would expect the same to be true of a Kindle. And please ignore the stupid adverts that show people doing all kinds of stupid things with a naked K3. No eink reader should be without a proper cover. A sleeve is not a substitute for a cover. Don't let some of the others on the forum fool you into thinking a sleeve is all you need.
@JSWolf

And what? Maybe those who risk the possible damage are rich enough to do so? In the end it is a device that costs 150$ not the holy grail or a Ming vase.

Furthermore readers tend to break when exposed to twisting forces. You can apply a strange twisting hold on it when in the cover leading to screen breakage. One member had their reader in a case and the screen broke. Turns out he had it in his shirt pocket where the security strap crosses his breast when driving. The cover wasn't protection enough for this kind of twisting force.

More over it is time for you to realize, JSWolf, that the Kindle is advertised naked because Amazon has to make it recognizable, which is not possible when they put in a cover in the ads.

Why is something so simple so hard for you to understand?

Even though it is sound advice to recommend a cover, the way you shout from the roof top is sooner or later bound to make me strip my readers just because the way you give this advice is quite annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieRobot View Post
I love the technology of my Kindle 3, but its not comfortable to hold. When I'm not unintentionally flipping pages, I've pressed a key and began a search, or the sharp thin bottom corners are digging into the palms of my hands.

I've searched for other talk on this subject but haven't found any. Am I the only one who thinks that the ergonomics of the kindle 3 are somewhat lacking? Is there a case or stretchy rubbery thing I could buy which will make my reading experiences less accident prone and painful, and more enjoyable?

I've never seen a Kindle leather cover in real life, but looking closely at some pictures, I don't see them helping very much. Perhaps they do?

Thanks in advance for any replies :-)
You should definately try using a cover. The feeling is very nice, as if holding a leather bound book that is amazingly light but utterly luxurious. In fact I like the feeling so much, I ordered a leather cover for my pbooks to recreate it.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:54 AM   #52
Casey57
Connoisseur
Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3/Kindle Fire/Kindle Touch/iPhone/iPod/iPad
I just returned from a trip and used my Kindle pretty easily while sitting in an airline seat in coach! I have an Oberon cover and it helped quite a bit. I generally read my Kindle in bed a lot and I have found that the cover makes a big difference in ease of use.
Casey57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:26 AM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
@JSWolf

And what? Maybe those who risk the possible damage are rich enough to do so? In the end it is a device that costs 150$ not the holy grail or a Ming vase.

Furthermore readers tend to break when exposed to twisting forces. You can apply a strange twisting hold on it when in the cover leading to screen breakage. One member had their reader in a case and the screen broke. Turns out he had it in his shirt pocket where the security strap crosses his breast when driving. The cover wasn't protection enough for this kind of twisting force.

More over it is time for you to realize, JSWolf, that the Kindle is advertised naked because Amazon has to make it recognizable, which is not possible when they put in a cover in the ads.

Why is something so simple so hard for you to understand?

Even though it is sound advice to recommend a cover, the way you shout from the roof top is sooner or later bound to make me strip my readers just because the way you give this advice is quite annoying.
It's been said all along not to put a reader in a pocket. And it broke. It's not rocket science.

Yes, I know why Amazon doesn't have a cover on the K3's in the advertisements. But it makes it look like it's OK to do all kinds of crazy things with a naked K3 and it will be OK. It's almost like false advertising but not quite.

As for the advise, how would you suggest giving advise telling people that a cover on an eink device is needed? The fact that for a lot of people, the cover also makes the device easier to hold is a bonus.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:43 AM   #54
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
that's actually not even the point being made here...
What exactly is being accomplished by questioning each other's motivations? Or by having this never ending, back-and-forth argument?

Oh, I know that he's got "issues" with seeing naked Kindles in commercials (and probably with seeing Kindles in general). Nonetheless, the points being made are perfectly accurate and applicable to the OP's question: having a cover can make an e-reader more comfortable for some/many/most people to hold and using a cover offers a modicum of protection for an e-ink screen. Being a Sony fan boy really doesn't change things.
stickybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:45 AM   #55
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Yes, I know why Amazon doesn't have a cover on the K3's in the advertisements. But it makes it look like it's OK to do all kinds of crazy things with a naked K3 and it will be OK. It's almost like false advertising but not quite.
I imagine there are people who were extremely disappointed when they weren't attacked by beautiful women after using Axe body spray.

Also, drinking beer doesn't turn one into one of the pretty people.

Oh, and Red Bull, sadly, does not give me wings.

Quote:
As for the advise, how would you suggest giving advise telling people that a cover on an eink device is needed? The fact that for a lot of people, the cover also makes the device easier to hold is a bonus.
How about just that? Or, "Hey, ereaders can break easily depending on how you use them. The screens are fragile. A cover might be a good idea, and some people find that it makes them easier to hold and more comfortable to use."

Your advice, at the core, is good, but when you come across so strongly, it tends to be very off-putting. No one wants to feel like a monster for using a naked ereader (or using an ereader naked ).

Then there's the fact that you've consistently griped about Amazon, yet you seem to have this overwhelming need to protect the poor little Kindles. Is it one of those "don't blame the child for the sins of the parent" type of things? It could almost be endearing if you spin it the right way.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:52 AM   #56
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickybuns View Post
What exactly is being accomplished by questioning each other's motivations? Or by having this never ending, back-and-forth argument?

Thank you well said.

Moderator Notice

Can we please keep on topic here. This thread could have just as easily been in the general discussion section and applied to any device. The fact that someone doesn't have a kindle doesn't make their opinions about how to make holding a device more comfortable any more or less applicable.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:07 PM   #57
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieRobot View Post
I love the technology of my Kindle 3, but its not comfortable to hold. When I'm not unintentionally flipping pages, I've pressed a key and began a search, or the sharp thin bottom corners are digging into the palms of my hands.

I've searched for other talk on this subject but haven't found any. Am I the only one who thinks that the ergonomics of the kindle 3 are somewhat lacking? Is there a case or stretchy rubbery thing I could buy which will make my reading experiences less accident prone and painful, and more enjoyable?

I've never seen a Kindle leather cover in real life, but looking closely at some pictures, I don't see them helping very much. Perhaps they do?

Thanks in advance for any replies :-)
The only problem I have with the K3 is that the page turn buttons are so sensitive. Yes, I also frequently hit them when I don't intend to. Even so, I've come to prefer their light touch over the K2. As for any discomfort, I've never noticed it, but most of the time I'm reading mine in an Oberon leather cover. The weight of the cover detracts slightly from the reading experience, but the protection, comfort, and beauty of the cover more than make up for it by adding considerably to my enjoyment and peace of mind.

And, BTW, you have a jammin' User Name. I still think Robbie was one of the coolest robots ever to grace the screen, and here's an avatar you can have if you like:

WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:48 PM   #58
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
there's really only one that has that issue and they own a sony. not sure why they haunt the kindle forums and terrorize kindlers
Put him on ignore and stop feeding the troll. Because that is what he is. I wish we didn't have to see his annoying enormous avatar, but we do NOT have to read his drivel. Much less respond to it. Please.

Quote:
I was happy with the K1 design (especially the back!) but hated the page turn buttons! I was ALWAYS accidentally hitting them
Didn't have a K1, K2 was my first, but find with my K3 I keep hitting the back button when I pick it up from alongside my chair. Annoying. I wish those buttons in the bottom right were somewhere else.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:34 PM   #59
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenaciousBadger View Post
I only read my kindle without a cover and never had any problems. If I touch any buttons by mistake, there's always the "back" option.
Same as TBadger. I had a cover for my Kindle 1 and Kindle 2, but I prefer the feel of the Kindle 3 in my hands. Just me - I have small hands.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:20 PM   #60
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Thank you well said.

Can we please keep on topic here. This thread could have just as easily been in the general discussion section and applied to any device. The fact that someone doesn't have a kindle doesn't make their opinions about how to make holding a device more comfortable any more or less applicable.
While there could easily be a thread in the general discussion section on the topic of covers on e-readers, the Op's original question was very specific to their difficulties with the ergonomics of the K3. StickyBuns suggestion that all e-readers are essentially alike in ergonomics is akin to saying that all cars are ergonomically alike because they have four wheels and a windshield, it just is not so... Unless you have actually held / read from/ carried a K3 for several hours at a time, I think it is difficult to truly understand the OP's concerns. That's not to say you can't have useful and interesting general insights, but they should be stated as such and not shouted from the pulpit in a pedantic fashion.
Myself, I have my beloved K2 in an M-Edge Latitude cover. I chose this cover due to its abillity to be zippered entirely closed and be water resistant....this became important to me after a pint of Guinness was acccidentally poured on it when it was naked. Happily, I found that it can be folded backwards and zippered in the open position, making it very easy to hold....additionally, if it is not zippered all the way in the open position, I can slide my hand between the two sides of the cover like a mit when I'm reading, making it very secure and comfortable (almost impossible to drop!).

Last edited by GoSharks; 05-10-2011 at 04:27 PM. Reason: If one mentions Guinness, they should spell it correctly!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comfort, kindle 3