Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-31-2020, 02:21 PM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Micro-USB is completely fine for charging a device or for data for ebooks. But any new devices should still be updated to USB-C since that is the way everything else is moving, especially devices that don't work with micro-USB. Laptops, cell phones, tablets, etc. I am about 50/50 now but would love to go all one way or the other to consolidate chargers and reduce the number of cables I need to carry around.

I have not seen nearly as many issues with USB-C as there used to be. Buy from a reputable vendor and a reputable manufacturer and you are very unlikely to have issues. Back in 2016 and even as late as 2018 that was different but, while it still happens, it is much less of a concern these days.
So you want to risk damaging your device because the cable you bought wasn't made correctly? There are a lot of incorrectly USB-C cables and I've see the pictures of what can happen with some of these cables. If I showed you some advertisements for 5 USB-C cables, could you pick out the one cable that was a good one?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 02:22 PM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I was the same way, until I got a reader that had it. Now I would prefer not to go back.

I'm guessing you've never spent any significant time using a reader with warm lighting, beyond maybe playing in a store.

Yes, the older blue/white screen is fine to read at night. And a warm lighted screen is a bit nicer.
I'm not saying if I had a color LED I would not use it. But without, I think a lot of people have the front light too high and that's what's causing a lot of the problems.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2020, 02:25 PM   #48
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
To be fair, I don't think USB-C gets higher speeds in any way that's terribly relevant, I know USB 3.0 does 5 gbps and predates USB-C
(And could transfer 32 GB (the full storage size of the largest current kindle) in under a minute in theory.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 02:45 PM   #49
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm not saying if I had a color LED I would not use it. But without, I think a lot of people have the front light too high and that's what's causing a lot of the problems.
I think the white light at night problem is not really even an issue.

But I will say that at night, I would have my Aura front light set pretty low. It was fine for years. But man, seeing the Glowlight 3's amber screen right next to the Aura made me jealous until I bought a Clara.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 02:50 PM   #50
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
I don't have color temperature adustment on my H2O and I don't long for it.
That is irrelevant since you don't use or buy kindles.

The Voyage frontlight has been simultaneously slammed by two groups, one that says it is far too white and another that says it is far too yellow. Both were outraged that it is the color that it is and not what they wanted.

Most have no big complaint with the color, but some of those might be inclined to adjust it if the option is there.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2020, 02:51 PM   #51
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
You'd really think with how fast these go, that Amazon would reconsider their stand on not releasing anymore voyages. They're still popular
Fast enough for maybe a few hundred or thousand units on clearance pricing.

The question is can Amazon sell millions (or at least a few hundred thousand) of the Voyage at $179-199 to justify R&D?
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 02:59 PM   #52
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does Amazon even sell millions of kindles across their entire line of devices over a year?
(And on a somewhat related note, I wonder if the 10th gen "All-New Kindle" outsells the Paperwhite)
Old 01-31-2020, 03:03 PM   #53
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
But I will say that at night, I would have my Aura front light set pretty low. It was fine for years. But man, seeing the Glowlight 3's amber screen right next to the Aura made me jealous until I bought a Clara.
Yep, love the warm light on the Libra H2O. I typically have brightness between 1-10 brightness, with warmth/natural light at 50.

I've always preferred a yellowish tone. Been using sepia on my LCD devices since Stanza back in 2007 (or was it 2008?). Happy to have that option on an e-ink device I like.
Old 01-31-2020, 03:08 PM   #54
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I think they are "new" but the same generation model. Goodereader says its ccoming back for a limited time in limited countries
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 03:13 PM   #55
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer

Since Good(sic)EReader says it's coming back, it's probably not coming back.
EDIT: Obligatory link to https://the-digital-reader.com/2018/...er-fact-check/
Old 01-31-2020, 03:37 PM   #56
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
So you want to risk damaging your device because the cable you bought wasn't made correctly? There are a lot of incorrectly USB-C cables and I've see the pictures of what can happen with some of these cables. If I showed you some advertisements for 5 USB-C cables, could you pick out the one cable that was a good one?
Yes, I do want to "risk" it by having USB-C.

Again, if you have quality cables from a reputable vendor there is very, very little risk. I don't see it as an issue any longer.

Buy cheap, crappy cables at your own risk.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 04:48 PM   #57
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
Does Amazon even sell millions of kindles across their entire line of devices over a year?
(And on a somewhat related note, I wonder if the 10th gen "All-New Kindle" outsells the Paperwhite)
I remember seeing an Amazon PR mention that the Paperwhite is still their most popular model.

Whenever I check the Paperwhite product page, it always has the #1 Best Seller tag so assuming that's accurate, I don't think the Kindle 10th gen outsells the Paperwhite.

Besides the Paperwhite is frequently on sale for $80-90 compared to $60 on the basic Kindle. At those prices, I can easily understand why the PW is still more popular. One time, Amazon was even offering 25% cash back on top of $85 discount pricing for Amazon Prime CC holders bringing the price difference between the two models to under $10.
Old 01-31-2020, 06:22 PM   #58
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer

And I'm the weirdo who'd rather have the basic kindle and $10 than the PW4.
Different strokes for different folks, I guess
Old 01-31-2020, 06:36 PM   #59
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
I think they are "new" but the same generation model. Goodereader says its ccoming back for a limited time in limited countries
The serial number will settle that.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 04:17 PM   #60
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
Not coming to Australia. Theres not a sign of it.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote