Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-06-2012, 09:04 AM   #46
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
I don't always text, but when I do, I text Dos Equis.
Stay fluent, my friends.

(Geek caption for Dos Equis commercial: "He's written an entire novel... using T1.")
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:07 AM   #47
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Apologies if I'm missing something here, but what does "dos equis" mean?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2012, 09:25 AM   #48
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxgiTeXKOOc

(p.s. If you mean your question more literally, then: "dos equis" means "Double X" in Spanish, or so I'm told.)

Last edited by ApK; 06-06-2012 at 09:32 AM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:44 AM   #49
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The "Most Interesting Man In The World" commercials have become very popular in the states lately... I think they're fun. I like to think of it as "the most interesting PR campaign for an imaginary person in the world."

Someone else would have to tell you if it was actually selling any beer (I don't drink it myself).

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 06-06-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:54 AM   #50
Jessica0
Jessica0 began at the beginning.

good spelling matters

Yes, it is true, that good spelling really matters.At leat, I am very strict in this regard. I can hardly imagine a scrip full of spelling mistakes. Frankly speaking, I got this habit after having a great scolding from my teacher ,when I was at the age of 5. My scripts used to be so full of spelling mistakes.
But, now, I hardly do this, and I too dislike scripts full of spelling mistakes, because, it helps the reader to have a quick look, as well.
Jessica0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2012, 10:16 AM   #51
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Good point: Proper spelling and grammar allows a reader to interpret the text faster than having to stop and figure out what the text is supposed to mean.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:36 AM   #52
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
Good point: Proper spelling and grammar allows a reader to interpret the text faster than having to stop and figure out what the text is supposed to mean.
But raises the question: Is the time expended doing a message properly greater than the time expended interpreting lazy messaging?

r u coming 2nite

Are you coming tonight?
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:08 AM   #53
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporPunk View Post
If I had any Karma left, you good sir (or lady), would be receiving some.

I hate misspelling. Still, I do it all the time. Self-loathing is a heartless bitch.
I sent some for you.

As for misspellings, well when you have 8 different learning disabilities (including dyslexia and auditory discrimination) you kind of give up on trying to be 100% accurate with your spelling in many places. For me, this includes board posts.

I do not distinguish between many sounds and letters can move on the page for me. It makes it hard. This is why I use proof readers and editors. Spell check at work does not work due to silly filters and stuff. If I wanted to spell check, I would have to open up a word document. I love you all but not that much.

I hate txt speech, although I have not problem understanding it. One of the benefits to 8 learning disabilities and ADHD is that you learn to read in context and not by the exact word. It makes life easier.

So cut the bad spellers some slack, sometimes it is not intentional or sloppy.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:13 AM   #54
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Lister View Post
But raises the question: Is the time expended doing a message properly greater than the time expended interpreting lazy messaging?

r u coming 2nite

Are you coming tonight?
Not an even equation. Factor in selfishness and consideration of others. YOU spend the time, don't expect OTHERS to spend their time for you.

ApK
Old 06-06-2012, 11:16 AM   #55
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:

r u coming 2nite

Are you coming tonight?
You realise the world has intentionally been developing stenography systems for centuries, and that far from being mere signs of laziness they are efficient and useful right?

I remember shorthand offered as an advanced class in highschool.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:20 AM   #56
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
You realise the world has intentionally been developing stenography systems for centuries, and that far from being mere signs of laziness they are efficient and useful right?

I remember shorthand offered as an advanced class in highschool.
It would be a bad idea to send shorthand to someone who could not read it.
Similarly, I presume the question here applies when text speak IS difficult to understand, then it is no longer efficient (overall for both parties).

When it is IS efficient, I'm ok with it. The only danger there involves all written communication degrading into a highly efficient condensed Newspeak code with no art or subtlety.

ApK
Old 06-06-2012, 11:24 AM   #57
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:

r u coming 2nite

Are you coming tonight?
While this kind of texting bothers me, I just accept it for what it is. I'm sure I get on some peoples nerves when I send a message that nearly fills out the 160~ character limit for a simple question. I guess I make up for the "lazy" texting of a few friends by being long winded.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:50 AM   #58
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Not an even equation. Factor in selfishness and consideration of others. YOU spend the time, don't expect OTHERS to spend their time for you.

ApK
I think there are unstated social contracts pertaining to different forms of messaging and their players.

Should a text message to my good buddy Bubba about our shrimp barbeque tonight really be meticulously typed and proofed?

We're very verbose here compared to many forums. Many here take at least some pride in making a message not only comprehensible, but often eloquent. Compare with your average gaming forum.
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:50 AM   #59
ApK

I recall the scene from "LA Story" when the Freeway Sign flashed "RUOK" at Steve Martin.
He didn't understand, so the Sign flashed "'ARE YOU OK?' Don't make me waste letters."
Old 06-06-2012, 12:00 PM   #60
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:

r u coming 2nite

Are you coming tonight?
r u coming 2nite - NO!

Are you coming tonight? Maybe, handsome...

(...there's also the result it has on the recipient. Can be more negative if the recipient is wound up by your laziness).
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
credibility, grammar, spelling, writing tips