Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-24-2010, 08:53 AM   #46
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Interesting article. Thanks for the link.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:58 AM   #47
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
But still, last month XBox has been the most sold unit.
(off-topic)

That is a one-off due to the release of a new model XBox. June was the best non-holiday month in almost 4 years for the XBox and it still only just beat out the Wii. World-wide the Wii has sold roughly the same as the XBox and PS3 combined.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2010, 09:02 AM   #48
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
They comforted themselves by decided that the Wii was just for 'casual' gamers, and 'real' gamers would still prefer the 'serious' systems.
Cross out gamers and write in readers and that is exactly the defensive response being seen to the success of the iPad.
This statement about the Wii is completely true. It's not a disparaging statement about casual gamers. It takes countless hours of dedication to become proficient at games like Halo. Nintendo brilliantly recognized that there was a huge market of people who want to pick up a game console every once in a while and not have the game be over in 30 seconds. That's why Microsoft is coming out with Kinect, which they openly state is aimed at "casual" gamers.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:19 AM   #49
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Very true. All I can report is my own personal experience, which is that, since buying the iPad, my eInk readers have been gathering dust on the shelf. And I get the impression that I'm not alone in that.
I don't doubt your experience (we're all different), but my experience is the opposite. And, I don't think I'm alone either. OTOH, my laptop is feeling very neglected lately, because that's what my iPad has replaced. I have 2 desktops where my real work gets done, and the purpose of the laptop was to be an Internet appliance in my easy chair at night and when I'm traveling in my motorhome. The iPad has almost completely taken over that function. If I could use the iPad to download files to my Graphite, I'd have no use for the laptop.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:47 PM   #50
rrtzmd
rrtzmd began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx
i looked at an ipad at an Apple store...

...and I really don't see how anyone could use it for much of anything...when I looked at the screen, about all I could see was my own reflection and the reflection of the fluorescent lights overhead...and when I tried to get rid of the reflections by tilting the device, the image on the screen would just disappear...I guess it might be handy for someone who likes to work in the dark, but I don't see how anyone could use it much otherwise...
rrtzmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2010, 07:06 PM   #51
pina
pina began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
I think the biggest advantage of the ipad as an e-reader is, that it can support all possible formats. F.e. I have comics that are in cbz and in cbr8, then other books support other formats etc... that's why I prefer the ipad now.
pina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:36 PM   #52
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtzmd View Post
...and I really don't see how anyone could use it for much of anything...when I looked at the screen, about all I could see was my own reflection and the reflection of the fluorescent lights overhead...and when I tried to get rid of the reflections by tilting the device, the image on the screen would just disappear...I guess it might be handy for someone who likes to work in the dark, but I don't see how anyone could use it much otherwise...
I have the same issue with all glossy screen laptop as well...while glossy screens do give nice deep rich contrasty colors....in the dark...they also add a lot of reflections to the equation and likely are the source of much debate over LCD's and eye strain...I don't buy my laptops with glassy panels, matte finish panels ONLY. And while even a matte finish panel will have reflections/glare it is not the same mirror effect a glossy panel will offer.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:14 AM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
One thing the iPad does not currently support s library eBooks. There is currently no way to view eBooks from a library using the time limited DRM of Adobe or Mobipocket.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote