View Poll Results: What do you buy?
Now I have the ereader, I buy only ebooks 82 51.90%
I buy a mixture of ebooks and paper books 65 41.14%
I still buy mainly paper books 11 6.96%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-15-2012, 10:59 AM   #46
kumaryu
Zealot
kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300, Kobo: Touch, Glo, Arc, Aura, Glo HD, Nexus7, nergy Pro HD
Most of the books I read for pleasure are now digital.

Technical manuals and textbooks are better on paper. Easier to locate relevant sections, skim and mark up.

Last week on the beach however, I noticed however that e-Ink tends to fade-out in temperatures of 30'c or more.

My last paper book purchases were the four volumes of Lawrence Durrell's "Alexandria Quartet", first editions.
kumaryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:46 PM   #47
mayoi
mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: PW2 and K3 Kindles, TF101
I much prefer ebooks now. I don't have much patience with trying to read tiny fonts anymore and being able to adjust for that has been wonderful. And heavy hardcovers? No way. I found a history book I wanted to read a few months ago that was not available in paperback. I could borrow the oversized three-pound monstrosity from the library or buy it as an ebook for half the hardcover price. Guess which I went with?
mayoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2012, 06:38 PM   #48
thekidsmom
Connoisseur
thekidsmom began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Tab 3, nook, Nexus 7, iPad
95% of the time, if I'm reading, it's an ebook. However, for many of the reasons above (used bookstore finds, book not in e-version), I'll sometimes read a pbook.

I travel a lot by plane, so if I'm reading a pbook, it's usually during the takeoff/landing time when you can't have electronics on.
thekidsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:23 AM   #49
Flip Martian
Connoisseur
Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.

Device: Sony PRS 350, iPad, Sony PRS-T1
Looks like I'm in the minority. I prefer books! I love my e-reader but use it for out of copyright, free to download things. Its great for taking away on holiday and not taking several paperbacks with me, so convenient.

But for anything I BUY... I like having something "in the real world" that I can touch. I don't see books as a bit of electronic code, I see them as substantial "things" to hold. Give me a real book anyday. I generally only get them when discounted, so never pay full price. The thought of paying the prices they charge for many e-books is not something I would ever entertain.
Flip Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:15 AM   #50
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip Martian View Post
Looks like I'm in the minority. I prefer books! I love my e-reader but use it for out of copyright, free to download things. Its great for taking away on holiday and not taking several paperbacks with me, so convenient.

But for anything I BUY... I like having something "in the real world" that I can touch. I don't see books as a bit of electronic code, I see them as substantial "things" to hold. Give me a real book anyday. I generally only get them when discounted, so never pay full price. The thought of paying the prices they charge for many e-books is not something I would ever entertain.
Likewise. A book printed on real paper feels like a real actual thing that is mine. Plus, I can save money by buying second hand. I download the freebies like crazy, and liberally use the free recipes on Calibre for my "magazines" - and use library loans, but printed books feel more tangible to me - there's a sense of permanence. Not to mention if I am tired of the printed book I can just give it/sell it to someone else, and nobody flips out More mileage on the dollar.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2012, 09:42 AM   #51
solitarywolf
Ink Drinker
solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle 2021, Ipad Pro, iPhone Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
I'd prefer ebooks... But, when push comes to shove, I'll grab an actual physical copy every now and again.
Me too.
solitarywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #52
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
Likewise. A book printed on real paper feels like a real actual thing that is mine. Plus, I can save money by buying second hand. I download the freebies like crazy, and liberally use the free recipes on Calibre for my "magazines" - and use library loans, but printed books feel more tangible to me - there's a sense of permanence. Not to mention if I am tired of the printed book I can just give it/sell it to someone else, and nobody flips out More mileage on the dollar.
Even with my e-book reader, I still do the majority of my reading on p-books because it's usually cheaper. I either borrow them from the library or buy them used. With publishers placing so many restrictions on e-books, it's hard to borrow a lot of e-books I'm interested in. I do try to borrow e-books when I can since e-books are easier to handle. The only time I buy e-books is when I can get a substantial discount by way of coupons and specials.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:06 PM   #53
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
If I can't get it in ebook form (either too expensive or not available), I get the pbook from the library. Can't fit anymore pbooks in the house!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:36 PM   #54
A. B. Syed
A. B. Syed has learned how to read e-booksA. B. Syed has learned how to read e-booksA. B. Syed has learned how to read e-booksA. B. Syed has learned how to read e-booksA. B. Syed has learned how to read e-booksA. B. Syed has learned how to read e-booksA. B. Syed has learned how to read e-booksA. B. Syed has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle on ipad
I must admit I love reading pbooks. I like the feel of the paper and turning the pages to see what is coming next.

But I am slowly coming round to the ease of using ebooks. I now own hundreds more books because they are free, but I also buy many. They are cheap (usually) and convenient and adjustable.

So, both at the moment for me.
A. B. Syed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:54 PM   #55
rgc2005
rgc2005 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rgc2005 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rgc2005 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rgc2005 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rgc2005 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rgc2005 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rgc2005 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rgc2005 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rgc2005 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rgc2005 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rgc2005 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle Fire
I work in a book store and can tell you that the battle lines are clearly drawn between paper and e-reader.
Art Books, Current Bestsellers, Virals (like '50 Shades'), Regional Interest and bargain books are what keep people coming back. What is killing us now is Amazon's "Used Book" availability for out of pub titles and reselling currents. Now that Kindle's cross platform syncing of notes, highlights and bookmarks between devices has been perfected who knows what the B&M books will do. However, Local and niche publishing will always keep regional sellers alive and kicking.
rgc2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:44 AM   #56
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
My option is in there. I buy mainly ebooks. But not exclusively. Though, a paperbook purchase is rare. And it'll probably be second-hand too.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:15 PM   #57
Lirael
Moomin
Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350
I used to buy ebooks, but I'm getting more picky with my reading taste, and I don't like spending money on something I won't read over and over...

Now I borrow from the library almost exclusively, and that usually ends up being print books because my library system's ebook catalog is limited and wait lists are so long, even for the most obscure titles. I don't want paper books taking up space in my home, so I don't buy those.

If I were in a position where I really needed/wanted a book and I wasn't able to get it from the library, I'm not sure if I'd go with the ebook or a used paper copy. I certainly wouldn't buy a new paper copy, though.

The exception to this is books that don't work well as an ebook - reference guides, for example, where I like having color diagrams as well as the ability to easily page through for what I need. I'll always buy paper copies of those.
Lirael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:11 AM   #58
Tome Keeper
Addict
Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard, Surface Tablet, Android Smartphone, Laptop, Netbook
I buy some used paper books - especially when I want to take them camping but read and buy most on my Kindle.
Tome Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote