Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-24-2009, 03:41 PM   #46
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
OK, so let me get this straight.

Let's say I want to go somewhere, sit down at a table, have a decaf, browse a few book titles, maybe read a few pages to know if I like the book, then buy the book.

With a wireless ebook reader, I can do all that at any of the half-dozen cafes that are closer, cozier, and less corporate (if that matters) than the nearest B&N.

So what reason is there for me to go to the bookstore to do all this, exactly? Conversely, why would a store want the high cost of operating a brick and mortar store (rent, staff, utilities, etc) when they can sell me their goods digitally at any time, any place, and without the need to draw me into a specific physical space, at a fraction of the cost?

The emotional attachment we may feel towards a particular kind of commercial space may have some appeal, but it does not alter the fundamentals. Many bookstores are going to go out of business, and these types of things won't save them. There won't be much point to a "bookstore" if it turns out to be a Starbucks with a tiny shelf of books.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 04:11 PM   #47
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
All of you seem to look at it as an either/or situation. I think this could be a good idea for bookstores to supplement their customer base and provide in the needs for both treebook and ebook lovers.

It's doubtful that anyone would go into the store specifically to go buy an ebook. Online is much easier BUT imagine you are out shopping and have a few minutes to kill. You pop into the local bookstore, browse a bit and something catches your eye. Normally you'd try to remember the author/title and buy it online at home. Now the store actually has the option for you to buy the ebook and get it e-mailed to you. It's just another added convenience. Not the primary business model but a way to cater to needs.

The kiosk idea is a great idea, but that would only work well without DRM. How will they handle all the different formats, authenticating all the devices etc? Will the shop ADE add their ID to your reader? Much simpler to get the link e-mailed to you and have the authentication work the same as online shops.

I'd find some value in this service. Then again I only get to visit a bookstore once every six months or so.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2009, 04:22 PM   #48
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
All of you seem to look at it as an either/or situation. I think this could be a good idea for bookstores to supplement their customer base and provide in the needs for both treebook and ebook lovers.
Yeah, not sure why people think this is so black and white. It is also obviously not targetted at diehard ebook users. I see it as the French bookstores trying to transition (slowly) their base towards the new technology, by trying some new things. I'm all for it, and hope they find a good way to move more people towards ebooks.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 05:40 PM   #49
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Of course a download kiosk within the shop would be best, but I'm not sure the kind of bookstore I enjoy visiting could afford that kind of investment (hardware, software, trained staff, maintenance...), so the idea of getting a coupon or an e-mail with a download link isn't all that crazy to me.

I enjoy browsing books in a bookstore, but that's not enough to make me visit a bookstore, even if there's coffee I need to know that I can trust the store staff to make a pre-selection of quality books that I can browse and make my own selection from. This, for me, is the advantage of a book store. And I don't expect that kind of service from big stores such as W.H. Smith or Fnac. For me these supermarkets of books have no advantage over Amazon.

I can imagine a future where Fnac has a download kiosk, but I'm not holding my breath because that kind of service would be no improvement over online stores, to my taste. I'm not sure there is a future for the kind of bookstore I like, but if this can help them, even a little bit, even for a short while, I'm all for it
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 06:40 PM   #50
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
OK, so let me get this straight.

Let's say I want to go somewhere, sit down at a table, have a decaf, browse a few book titles, maybe read a few pages to know if I like the book, then buy the book.

With a wireless ebook reader, I can do all that at any of the half-dozen cafes that are closer, cozier, and less corporate (if that matters) than the nearest B&N.

So what reason is there for me to go to the bookstore to do all this, exactly? Conversely, why would a store want the high cost of operating a brick and mortar store (rent, staff, utilities, etc) when they can sell me their goods digitally at any time, any place, and without the need to draw me into a specific physical space, at a fraction of the cost?

The emotional attachment we may feel towards a particular kind of commercial space may have some appeal, but it does not alter the fundamentals. Many bookstores are going to go out of business, and these types of things won't save them. There won't be much point to a "bookstore" if it turns out to be a Starbucks with a tiny shelf of books.
There are 3 advantages, that I can think of, that a B&M bookstore has. First is advice, but that's pretty much hit or miss. If you have a bookstore that hires clerks (or is owned by someone) with similar tastes, then you're lucky & should probably support them. Of course online sites also make recommendations based on your tastes, but it's harder to ask them why they recommend a new author/book.

2) it's probably a nicer place to spend your lunch hour than Starbucks-although again that depends on the store (and on the Starbucks)

3) it's a good place to meet people with similar tastes. And yes, you can do that online as well-but people you meet online rarely invite you to come over next Saturday for barbecue. (OK, sometimes they invite you but it rarely works out that you can actually do that.)

Starbucks is as good as a bookstore for meeting existing friends, but I consider it less likely that I'll meet someone new there that has similar interests to mine. And I agree that putting a 'small' shelf of books (like the book section in many grocery stores) doesn't attract me in the least.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2009, 08:14 PM   #51
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin-c View Post
There are 3 advantages, that I can think of, that a B&M bookstore has. First is advice, but that's pretty much hit or miss.
Yeah, pretty much. Mostly "miss." And that's spoken as someone who used to work at a bookstore.

Otherwise, just to be clear I'm not saying that "bookstores are a bad thing" or that "bookstores ought to go away." My position is that bookstores are almost certainly headed for the same fate as record stores and photo stores -- wide-spread closures, and the survivors will likely be specialty stores. This is partly due to online p-book sales. partly to e-book sales, partly due to big-box stores like Walmart and Target getting into what is left of the game.

Secondarily, I do not see how things like trying to sell ebooks in a brick & mortar store will be sufficient to reverse this cycle.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:02 PM   #52
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raulf View Post
I don't see much future (or sense) in that. Why bother walking / driving / riding the subway to the nearest bookshop with a nice, friendly, chatty owner (avoiding the one with a tightass moron owner, that happens, sigh, to be closer, and the impersonal megabookstore that is closer, too) when you can do it faster & easier without leaving your living-room? and as freezing cold as it's been this week!
Umm, because the bookstore has gourmet coffee, a fireplace, fancy paninis, and live poetry readings?

And it is sort of a social outlet as well as a shopping experience?

And they carry tins of Republic of Tea?
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 03:30 AM   #53
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin-c View Post
Of course online sites also make recommendations based on your tastes, but it's harder to ask them why they recommend a new author/book.
Actually those taste-based recommendation have led me to read a lot of bad or barely OK books in the last years. What I want is a human selection based on quality. Then I can choose within that selection based on my taste, or because I read a few pages in the store and liked it. Unfortunately, very few stores offer this kind of advice, but it's the only one worthwhile in my opinion. If I could find an online shop that offers this, I could do without the b&m stores.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:56 PM   #54
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
well, i think you have a point that it's certainly not for everyone. but i do see two interesting immediate benefits :

1. for the client (say, me, for instance, since i understand not everyone feels the same way), what i like about going to my neighborhood bookshop is the friendly ambiance and the discussions with my very nice and knowledgeable bookshop owner. but i don't go there very often any more because i try not to buy any more paper books, and to be honest i miss it (i really enjoyed wandering around and discussing books two days ago when i went in to buy a book as a christmas gift for a friend). so i would *love* to be able to preserve the "bookshop experience" without weighing myself down with more paper books. and i am sure that technology will rapidly advance to the point where we won't have to wait for the second step of going home to download our purchase, because there will be a way to get the file directly in the shop.

2. for the booksellers, particularly small, independent ones, it's a really easy way to start selling ebooks, without the expense and potential hassle of setting up / managing a website (which they might not know how or want to do), and it gives them a way to stay relevant even in a context of more and more digital media.

to be honest, it reminds me of this short speculative film which personally seems like the best of all worlds to me (i found a version which has added english subtitles, so i'm posting that one, but watch out, the first minute or so is blank, the film starts after that) :

nice video, thanks . What is the name of ebook reader that people use here?
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 03:22 PM   #55
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
nice video, thanks . What is the name of ebook reader that people use here?
It's an ebook

Personally I love the guidebook with built-in GPS