Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-25-2008, 06:59 AM   #46
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhbailey View Post
That's not the reaction the people show when I say what I say. What I then explain is all the good points of the Sony and why I don't like the Kindle (yes I've actually used one) and nobody says anything like "oh, that's older then, and obsolete?" They say, "Wow, that's fascinating!" Some say they plan to look into it, others say it's interesting but they're gonna stick with paper books.

Nobody comments on my device being obsolete.
The same here. Not that anyone really knows or understands what is Kindle anyway, but I always tell people, just in case, that it is not kindle but a much better ebook reader and explain all the advantages of the Sony Reader and disadvantages of Kindle.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 01:17 PM   #47
JayBoy
JayBoy has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-700
Hi Everyone,

Some posters pointed out that my original title for this thread was not accurate; I referred to the PRS-700 as an "eReader" (this is a specific model line) when it should be "eBook reader" (the generic term for the type of device). I have update the title of this thread to reflect the proper term. Thanks for the feedback any everyone that is finding this thread useful.

Jason
JayBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2008, 01:32 PM   #48
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBoy View Post
Hi Everyone,

Some posters pointed out that my original title for this thread was not accurate; I referred to the PRS-700 as an "eReader" (this is a specific model line) when it should be "eBook reader" (the generic term for the type of device). I have update the title of this thread to reflect the proper term. Thanks for the feedback any everyone that is finding this thread useful.

Jason
I think you just made astra very happy.

Last edited by Wetdogeared; 11-25-2008 at 01:36 PM.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:05 AM   #49
JayBoy

There has been a lot of photos on these threads showing how bad the 700's screen can look. After looking at those for so long and then receiving my 700 and realizing they didn't do it justice, I thought I would take a few shots of mine just for the sake of comparison. These are just taken under my 35 watt desk lamp with a Canon compact camera set on macro (nothing fancy).

Regular orientation

In landscape orientation

In landscape orientation, zoomed-in on large jpeg

Last edited by JayBoy; 11-26-2008 at 01:08 AM.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:01 AM   #50
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Thank you for posting those -- it's good to see pictures which actually are accurate!
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2008, 10:36 AM   #51
Server
Anti-Narcissist
Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SØNY6
MMm... looks good to me.

thank you for your time and contribution for the 'cause'
Server is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 10:57 AM   #52
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
I think you just made astra very happy.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 11:22 AM   #53
Shunt1
Enthusiast
Shunt1 doesn't litterShunt1 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle, PRS-700
Jayboy, you have shown me exactly what I was looking for. That zoomed JPG image was perfect.
Shunt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 03:40 PM   #54
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Thanks to the OP for this review. Now I definately now the 700 is my forthcomming eBook.

As I read loads of scientific PDFs, and have never even seen an eBook in real life, this one is going to be my first!
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 01:03 PM   #55
JayBoy

For all you developers out there (and enthusiasts) this may be of interest:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/10/28/e...-off-on-video/

It's the eInk developer kit. In the video notice the demonstration of an animation, support for 16 shades of grey, and the ability to use a stylus built-in. Could the next generation Sony eBook reader support video? Or maybe even suuport the 3D model option in PDFs? Hmmmm.....

JayBoy
Old 11-28-2008, 01:54 PM   #56
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
I have opened up a case with Adobe support and used this PDF as an example. I have asked why Adobe Digital Editions would render most graphics in the book but not all. I'm awaiting a reply. The PRS700 got all the graphics, text and tables that ADE created and was good (for a 6 " screen) at zooming in and maneuvering around this old book. It handled everything ADE gave it, it's just that ADE did't convert all graphics, maybe another converter would. If they get back to me I'll reply here.
re: Book on Ships http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&...um=1&ct=result

Here is the canned reply that I received from Adobe regarding why certain pages ,i.e. the ship in the book you were using as an example, were not rendered in Adobe Digital Editions.

Thank you for writing to Adobe Technical Support.

I see that you’re having problems viewing the embedded images in an
ebook on Adobe Digital Editions.

This might just be an isolated case or specific to that ebook source
only. I suggest that you try checking with one of our sample ebooks in
our library, see if the problem persists on them. Please follow the link
below.

Sample eBook Library
http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/library/

I hope this information helps, feel free to respond to this case if you
need further assistance on the issue discussed here or file a new case
if you need to report a new issue in the Support Portal at:

http://www.adobe.com/go/supportportal

Thank you for choosing Adobe.

Regards,

Edwin
Technical Support Engineer
Adobe Systems, Inc.

--------------------------
Get the answers you need, when you need them!
Knowledge Base: http://www.adobe.com/support
Support Plans: http://www.adobe.com/support/programs

I replied, telling them that of course their supplied samples would all render correctly, and asked again why certain images will render and other's won't. I asked them again to specifically look at the book in question. I'm awaiting a reply.

Last edited by Wetdogeared; 11-28-2008 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Addred reference to book in question
Old 12-04-2008, 06:53 PM   #57
JayBoy

I just found another interesting shortcut on my 700. Many of you know that you can flip through multiple pages by swiping your finger and holding it on the screen. I just found that you can also do this by pressing and holding 2 fingers (one above the other about a centimeter apart) on one side of the page. I don't see this documented, but it works consistently. Can anyone else with a 700 confirm if this works for them as well?
Old 12-04-2008, 06:56 PM   #58
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
I just found another interesting shortcut on my 700. Many of you know that you can flip through multiple pages by swiping your finger and holding it on the screen. I just found that you can also do this by pressing and holding 2 fingers (one above the other about a centimeter apart) on one side of the page. I don't see this documented, but it works consistently. Can anyone else with a 700 confirm if this works for them as well?
does it work with one finger only ? it could just be the continued pressure which counts.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:40 PM   #59
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n

Quote:
I tried skimming thru a PDF manual. Pressing one finger and holding did nothing. Pressing and holding 2 fingers on right side of screen about 1 cm appart went into forward search about 80% of the time. If I did a single page swipe to get off the first page, the two finger method worked more often, about 90%.
Hope that's of help.