Thanks
gromhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 01:15 PM   #47
MiuMiu
Enthusiast
MiuMiu began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Thumbs down Total disappointment

I received my Cybook Ocean last week and it is so bad that I am sending it back. I am utterly disappointed - I have been eagerly waiting for this e-reader and then this miserable thing arrived

I have always wanted a 8'' reader, to me this is the perfect size for an e-reader and this is the ONLY good thing about this device. I have a Kindle DX, but barely use it now because it has no frontlight. I also have Kobo Glo, which is fantastic in terms of frontlight and advanced settings, but I still wanted a bigger screen...

Cybook Ocean with the light on maximum is completely grey, not white at all. When placed next to Kobo Glo with the maximum light on, it looks like a joke.. a very old, outdated joke

The black is not really black at all, the letters are not crisp at all, no matter which font and size you choose. There are few settings - compared to Kobo Glo, this looks like a few years older, much poorer model. No, I do not work for Kobo, nor am I affiliated in any way with them, lol. I am just an avid book reader and translator. Kobo has been driving me nuts with their uber shitty pre-installed dictionaries (English is not my native language) and shitty online store...

Cybook Ocean is a very basic piece of plastic crap and I want my money back.
MiuMiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2014, 02:25 PM   #48
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiuMiu View Post
I received my Cybook Ocean last week and it is so bad that I am sending it back. I am utterly disappointed - I have been eagerly waiting for this e-reader and then this miserable thing arrived

I have always wanted a 8'' reader, to me this is the perfect size for an e-reader and this is the ONLY good thing about this device. I have a Kindle DX, but barely use it now because it has no frontlight. I also have Kobo Glo, which is fantastic in terms of frontlight and advanced settings, but I still wanted a bigger screen...

Cybook Ocean with the light on maximum is completely grey, not white at all. When placed next to Kobo Glo with the maximum light on, it looks like a joke.. a very old, outdated joke

The black is not really black at all, the letters are not crisp at all, no matter which font and size you choose. There are few settings - compared to Kobo Glo, this looks like a few years older, much poorer model. No, I do not work for Kobo, nor am I affiliated in any way with them, lol. I am just an avid book reader and translator. Kobo has been driving me nuts with their uber shitty pre-installed dictionaries (English is not my native language) and shitty online store...

Plus the Ocean is physically unpleasant to hold.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 02:37 PM   #49
MiuMiu
Enthusiast

I did not find it that unpleasant nor too heavy to hold, but the buttons at the bottom are positioned in such place that you often press them by accident.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:49 PM   #50
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I did not find it that unpleasant nor too heavy to hold, but the buttons at the bottom are positioned in such place that you often press them by accident.
It's not that it is heavy, but that the edges are uncomfortably sharp.
Advert
Old 12-01-2014, 10:51 PM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
250ppi for the Kobo Aura H20
265ppi for the Kobo Aura H2O
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 04:09 AM   #52
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:

I don't that the problem with white, i don't even use light at max.
The black not being black and the lack of crispness, yeah.

Still, the ocean fills the job I bought it for Bought some more book to add to it at O'reilly yesterday.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 04:57 PM   #53
MiuMiu
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
This is true, yes.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:38 AM   #54
starr974
Connoisseur
starr974 will become famous soon enoughstarr974 will become famous soon enoughstarr974 will become famous soon enoughstarr974 will become famous soon enoughstarr974 will become famous soon enoughstarr974 will become famous soon enough

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad
Do you think is it better to buy the Ocean or the Inkpad for read a lot of mangas? (.cbz)
starr974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 05:41 AM   #55
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Presumably using a case would solve that problem? Personally I always use cases.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 06:19 AM   #56
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starr974 View Post
Do you think is it better to buy the Ocean or the Inkpad for read a lot of mangas? (.cbz)
None of them support .cbz.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:45 AM   #57
starr974
Connoisseur
starr974 will become famous soon enoughstarr974 will become famous soon enoughstarr974 will become famous soon enoughstarr974 will become famous soon enoughstarr974 will become famous soon enoughstarr974 will become famous soon enough

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
None of them support .cbz.
With pbimageviewer, Pocketbook inkpad can read .cbz/.cbr
starr974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:06 AM   #58
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by starr974 View Post
With pbimageviewer, Pocketbook inkpad can read .cbz/.cbr
I should have added "out of the box"
Old 12-03-2014, 02:06 PM   #59
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Presumably using a case would solve that problem? Personally I always use cases.
If the case were included, I would use it.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:18 PM   #60
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

I'm going to be posting my Cybook ocean review tomorrow. It's going to be about as bad for the Ocean as this comparison review was:
http://the-digital-reader.com/2014/1...-cybook-ocean/

What can I say, the Ocean is a pretty crappy ereader.