Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-11-2011, 01:02 PM   #46
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Maybe you are right. It is kind of hard for me to feel it is being soo expensive for you when you pay only half of what we pay for them in Europe.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:13 PM   #47
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Expensive is relative. You seem to be SAYING you understand that, but your tone still seems to suggest "I don't consider it expensive, so I can't understand how it can be considered expensive by anyone."

I consider it expensive. Obviously not outrageously expensive, or I would not have bought three in the last two years, and I feel like we're getting great value from them, but I try to keep it in perspective. I don't judge it expensive by comparing to the cost of a bowl of rice, and I don't judge it trivially cheap by comparing it to the cost of a new car.
I try to judge it by looking at it's role and value in my budget.
By that standard, it's expensive. But worth it to me.

$140 for non-prescription sunglasses would be WAY TOO expensive for me.
Thankfully, good Ray-Bans can be found on eBay for under $50.....

ApK
And even $50 sunglasses are outrageous to me.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2011, 01:28 PM   #48
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
And even $50 sunglasses are outrageous to me.
There you go!

(truthfully, I have to wear prescription sunglasses--I buy the ~$50 Raybans for my wife. Shopping for your wife is a whole 'nother level of relative expensiveness which will seem to defy all laws of math and economics to the uninitiated.)
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:33 PM   #49
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
There you go!

(truthfully, I have to wear prescription sunglasses--I buy the ~$50 Raybans for my wife. Shopping for your wife is a whole 'nother level of relative expensiveness which will seem to defy all laws of math and economics to the uninitiated.)
That's why I ain't got none. (wife that is, or sunglasses)

But that's exactly the point. $50 or $150 are not that different. In one case you are saying it expensive, but in the other not. Now if we were talking $50 vs $500 or $5000 then yeah, but ... meh!
Old 04-11-2011, 01:51 PM   #50
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But that's exactly the point. $50 or $150 are not that different.
Not for everyone. Even if we were comparing apples to applies, say, a $50 ereader to a $150 ereader, I see a very real difference. Not to be too obvious about it, but I see a 300% difference. That's three times the other stuff I'd have to choose between, three times longer saving up if I had to replace it, etc.

It's different with sunglasses, though. They are something that affects your visual acuity, eye health, eye strain, and I would not want to skimp there.
Plus it's part of your style of dress and personal aesthetics, and that has a psycho-social effect even beyond simple vanity.

Skipping a steak dinner to buy an ereader? I'd have to think about it.
Skipping a steak dinner for quality eyewear? No hesitation at all.

ApK
Advert
Old 04-11-2011, 01:59 PM   #51
ApK

Quote:
In one case you are saying it expensive, but in the other not.
Come to think of it, I think they are both expensive. But $50 is better than $140, even after the complex and irrational numbers involved in wife-math.

ApK
Old 04-11-2011, 02:03 PM   #52
ApK

Quote:
Come to think of it, I think they are both expensive. But $50 is better than $140, even after the complex and irrational numbers involved in wife-math.

ApK
Come to think of it again, our first reader was my wife's at $200, and her current reader is an iPod Touch 4G at $300....I'm starting to see a pattern here as to why money is tight...

Just kidding, honey bunny! You're worth every cent!

ApK
Old 04-11-2011, 02:37 PM   #53
haino
Connoisseur
haino began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I've used my Kindle on a beach numerous times. I put it in a ziploc bag
Back to the original question and replies, am I correct in assuming that touch screen models cannot be used with ziploc bags and similar covers.
haino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:43 PM   #54
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by haino View Post
Back to the original question and replies, am I correct in assuming that touch screen models cannot be used with ziploc bags and similar covers.
They all are button workable, too.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:45 PM   #55
ApK

Quote:
The capacitive touch screen on my wife's iPod works through a ziploc bag. Good thing since it has no other way to turn pages.
The IR touch screen on our PRS-350 does not. (At least, not in a usable way)
Fortunately, the 350 also has hard buttons for page turns.

I have no experience with the thicker waterproof covers.

ApK

Last edited by ApK; 04-11-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:18 PM   #56
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I've paid that and more for a couple of pair of sunglasses, but they were pretty specialized for skiing
Any decent sunglasses will cost over $100, and that may be with a sale! My ski goggles cost more than that, which I expected. Anyone who uses their sunglasses a lot while driving should get glasses with good lenses. I bought my SO a pair for his birthday 2 years ago that cost more than that. He has so many crap pair of glasses and I looked at them as not being the safest for driving. After a while, bad lenses always give me a headache.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
For me, it was spilling a pint of Guinness on my Kindle....to this day I don't know if I was more upset about the possible demise of my Kindle or the absolute demise of my beer! Oh, the pain!!! Luckily, the Kindle survived, though with a mild pub-like odor. Oh, and while I was running to get something to mop it up, yes I did catch my dog licking the beer off of my Kindle!
Love the dog!! When I was bartending, I used to keep my phone sitting upright in a cup by the register, so that if it rang, I could see it light up. Coincidently, I used to also keep whatever I was drinking (almost always Guinness) sitting in a cup by the register. One day, I went to take a sip, and realized that I had put my phone in my Guinness. Ironically, for the second time, that phone completely survived a swimming. The first time it sat at the bottom of the bar sink, in warm soapy water, for anywhere from 40-60 minutes. After I dried it out, it worked perfectly. I didn't even lose a minute of charge on the battery. I thought for sure that would have been soaked.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:22 PM   #57
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
I use a vacuum sealer when I need to waterproof my readers. The great thing about it is that there is no loose feeling because the plastic is tight and snug on the reader. The only problem I have had doing it this way is sealing it too tight. As soon as it's snug, I stop the vacuuming process and hit the "seal" button. If I let it truly suck all the air out, it usually depresses the buttons a little, which is why it's a little harder with the Kindle than the Sonys. It's a timing thing to get it snug, without the buttons getting depressed.

BTW, the touch screen works flawlessly. Because its so snug, I did turn it on before sealing because the seal is right on the power button and really hard to slide over once sealed.

For pics check my photo album in my profile.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:04 PM   #58
kennyc

Quote:
Not for everyone. Even if we were comparing apples to applies, say, a $50 ereader to a $150 ereader, I see a very real difference. Not to be too obvious about it, but I see a 300% difference. That's three times the other stuff I'd have to choose between, three times longer saving up if I had to replace it, etc.

It's different with sunglasses, though. They are something that affects your visual acuity, eye health, eye strain, and I would not want to skimp there.
Plus it's part of your style of dress and personal aesthetics, and that has a psycho-social effect even beyond simple vanity.

Skipping a steak dinner to buy an ereader? I'd have to think about it.
Skipping a steak dinner for quality eyewear? No hesitation at all.

ApK

That's not the point. You are assigning subjective value to the objects. If you just look at the money $50 and $150 are in the same ballpark compared to $50 and $500
Old 04-11-2011, 04:08 PM   #59
ApK

Quote:
That's not the point. You are assigning subjective value to the objects. If you just look at the money $50 and $150 are in the same ballpark compared to $50 and $500
Unless you are aware of some ISO definition of a 'ballpark', it's all subjective. That is the point.

From a purely objective point of view, I assure you, if I have $50 in my account and try to spend $150, my bank will assert that there is a significant difference.

I'm sure there are people who feel $50 and $500 are in the same ballpark, too. I don't have the good fortune to play in those ballparks.

Last edited by ApK; 04-11-2011 at 04:12 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:15 PM   #60
kennyc

Quote:
Unless you are aware of some ISO definition of a 'ballpark', it's all subjective. That is the point.

From a purely objective point of view, I assure you, if I have $50 in my account and try to spend $150, my bank will assert that there is a significant difference.

I'm sure there are people who feel $50 and $500 are in the same ballpark, too. I don't have the good fortune to play in those ballparks.
Quit being dumb. I think you just want to argue, if you do, let's go!

Some people may buy kindles to wipe their butt with, it doesn't matter.

As I said you are assigning subjective value to something has nothing to do with monetary value.

Tags
beach, kindle, reader