Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-28-2010, 12:36 PM   #46
Jorge in Austin
Jorge in Austin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
my suggestions

Here is my comprehensive list of the things I would like to see in the next firmware release. They are for the most part a compilation of things that has been said before. But if enough people want them, maybe the Kobo folks will add it.

• An option to suppress the auto-off feature, and change the time it takes if you want it.
• Support the metadata tags for "Series Name" and "Book # in Series" in the library. (other metadata would be great)
• Way of maintaining the "I'm Reading"
• Jump to page in pop up
• clock on all popup menus
• go to the last page you are reading on startup, as an option that you can turn off/on
• Option to put the cover back on "off", it looked nice.
• Option to sort by date when added to Kobo, which would help a lot with news uploads.
• up/down/home button to be next chapter (preferably configurable)
• Condensed list mode that shows only one line per book. (I have 1000 books)
• Show book and author while processing. if it fails it will help with debug.

Also I think that the Kobo folks should use Calibre to test the Kobo, and see what it has there and start getting some ideas of their own
Jorge in Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:54 PM   #47
Gedvondur
Gedvondur is a splendid one to beholdGedvondur is a splendid one to beholdGedvondur is a splendid one to beholdGedvondur is a splendid one to beholdGedvondur is a splendid one to beholdGedvondur is a splendid one to beholdGedvondur is a splendid one to beholdGedvondur is a splendid one to beholdGedvondur is a splendid one to beholdGedvondur is a splendid one to beholdGedvondur is a splendid one to behold

I received confirmation from the Kobo Team that they may enable reading while charging. I had asked them in a suggestion email to please do this; Let us read the device while charging. My question and their response below:
__________________________________________________ _______________________
<me> Jul 23 17:06 (EDT): When the Kobo is CHARGING can it be able to be powered up? So I can read while plugged into a charger or notebook?
<Kobo Team> 23 23:40 (EDT):

Thank you for your email. At this time this is not a feature we support. I have escalated this feature request to our development team. Thank you for your suggestion.

Sincerely,
The Kobo Team

<Kobo Team> , Aug 03 14:53 (EDT):

We are looking at implementing this feature in the near future. Keep watch!

Sincerely,
The Kobo Team
__________________________________________________ _____________

Please join me in a Virtual clap for the Kobo Team! these people are very responsive to us, their fans. After all, we all have taken the time to seek out and join an online community devoted to ereaders. And there are a LOT of options these days!
I think the Canadian Connection is a deciding factor for many of us, the price is another... I've noticed a theme amongst Kobo fans; It is JUST a book reader, not a book reader, internet browser, keyboard toting email - sms- app hungry - all in one thingy. It's focused on a simple task, and this it does very well for an early generation gadget.
Thanks KOBO team!!
Gedvondur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2010, 02:27 AM   #48
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
1. Off the auto off!
2. Jump to a page
3. Rudimentary bookmark
4. Override ePub margins
5. More quotes
6. PDF reflow
7. Read while charging
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:39 PM   #49
techie42
Zealot
techie42 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: KOBO and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyB View Post
I was originally disappointed at with the cover image no longer being there but now I realise that I only look at my Kobo when I'm reading it. When it's turned off I really don't care what it looks like.

I want my Kobo to display "Don't Panic" when it is truned off.
techie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:41 AM   #50
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
1. Ability to set auto-off period (15 mins, 30 mins, 60 mins, none)
2. PDF reflow
3. Jump to a page number
4. Ability to put a jpg image on the Kobo and have it as your off page (i.e. it is displayed whenever the Kobo is off, will allow you to have pic of your family, or "Don't Panic", or whatever you like)
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2010, 01:56 AM   #51
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moffattm View Post
1. Ability to set auto-off period (15 mins, 30 mins, 60 mins, none)
2. PDF reflow
3. Jump to a page number
4. Ability to put a jpg image on the Kobo and have it as your off page (i.e. it is displayed whenever the Kobo is off, will allow you to have pic of your family, or "Don't Panic", or whatever you like)
Page number would be numero uno.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:36 AM   #52
Grahameh
Grahameh began at the beginning.

Device: HTC HD2
Jump to a page, or if that is not possible,
the ability to scroll along a bar representing the full book so that one could quickly get to an approximate point without turning all the pages.
Grahameh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:02 AM   #53
Perplexed1
Perplexed1
Perplexed1 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi all
My wishes are to include a genre type for the books and to be able to go to a specific page.
Perplexed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:12 AM   #54
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook,Kobo Clara HD,Kobo Libra 2
A simple drag and drop support for .txt files would be nice.
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:00 AM   #55
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
A simple drag and drop support for .txt files would be nice.
TXT files work in 1.4 but there's a bug in that they're not purged from the sqlite file when deleted from the kobo. Same for HTML.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:52 AM   #56
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook,Kobo Clara HD,Kobo Libra 2
Thank you 3d0g, hopefully that issue can be fixed soon.
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:41 PM   #57
mwlcarter
Connoisseur
mwlcarter began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
I think Kobo would be really smart to push a new firmware update out prior to the Kindle 3 being released. When reviewers are doing product comparisons, you want your product to be polished and have as few obvious bugs as possible.

Also, anything to improve speed is good, whether it be optimizing or switching databases, running code optimizers on their source, etc.

Overall I like my Kobo a lot, but Kindle 3, being a new device for cheaper with significantly more features, is going to pose a challenge. You can't have buggy firmware and obvious issues like the poweroff after only 15 minutes when you're facing steep competition like Kindle 3.

Last edited by mwlcarter; 08-09-2010 at 01:51 PM.
mwlcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:39 PM   #58
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
My #1 kobo wish at this point is margin control. Some EPUBs present positively STUPID margins, wasting a good 1/3 of the kobo's screen space. #2 would be Android BT sync.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:58 AM   #59
Kindle Addict
kindict
Kindle Addict doesn't litterKindle Addict doesn't litterKindle Addict doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2, Kobo, iPad, Nook
Just want to say that the Kobo development team has done a great job in developing the hardware and software for this device so quickly. I hope the team is able to enjoy some family time as well! The Kobo team also has active participants on this board, which is also great (haven't seen anything but 'lurkers' from Amazon and B&N).

I think that an e-reader without a search feature is incomplete. If my AppleTV and iPod Classic can get away with an on-screen keyboard, so can the Kobo! Also, sorting on custom tags would be great.
Kindle Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:47 AM   #60
soup
soup began at the beginning.

when I turn the kobo on, U have to wait for the splash screen and loading bars, then click the book I want in the "I'm reading" list, then wait again for the page I was last reading to come up.

this takes about a minute.

I'd like the first page I see to be the last page I was reading, and have the rest of the book I was reading load up while I'm reading that page.

none of that splash screen stuff.

and the option to have my own choice of image on the screen when it's off would be cool.
soup is offline   Reply With Quote