Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-14-2022, 05:41 PM   #46
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I feel that reading Le Guin's work is like taking a sledge hammer to your head.
Thanks guys! I'm picking up A Wizard of Earthsea tomorrow (Amazon's giving double points tomorrow).
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 08:21 PM   #47
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
What novel would you put forth in the stead of _A Wizard of Earthsea_?

Needs to be:

- written by a woman
- has a non-white protagonist

I find this comment rather sexist and racist.

I wonder what the comments would be if someone had someone had the criteria:-

- written by a man
- has a white protagonist

Personally it does not matter to me if the author is male or female as long as a book is well written. My favourite author list contains both males and females.

As for the protagonist, unless it is central to the story, why does the author even need to assign a skin colour to them? Our imaginations will fill in the details.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2022, 10:31 PM   #48
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
If the context was identifying a western story which was written by a member of the patriarchy, I believe that would be a reasonable expectation.

In this case, a defining characteristic of the story is that it was one of the first ones to have a wizard protagonist who wasn't in the mold of Merlin (bearded old white guy), and that it was written by a woman is a significant thing for this list, esp. for the time.

In many instances, a character's race can be a significant and meaningful consideration, even when not explicitly described --- classic example of that would be Heinlein's _Starship Troopers_ --- the protagonist is Filipino and that is concealed until the end of the novel, which is esp. of note when one considers that Heinlein was of an age to have served in the segregated Navy, and would have been assigned to ships where the galley crew would have all been from the Philippines.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 08:30 AM   #49
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
If the context was ...
I thought the context was "Best Fantasy Books of All Time". I didn't see any mention of criteria, other then "best" (maybe popular).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 09:07 AM   #50
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I skimmed this thread even though fantasy is not my genre, but how can The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle not be on the list?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2022, 09:24 AM   #51
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
I would argue that _A Wizard of Earthsea_ is notable as one of the best fantasy novels, and a big part of why is that it is one of the first, if not the first, which breaks out of the established mold of "the Wizard is a Merlin clone".

Agree that _The Last Unicorn_ would merit being added as well.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 11:32 AM   #52
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Thanks guys! I'm picking up A Wizard of Earthsea tomorrow (Amazon's giving double points tomorrow).
I bought it and will make it my next book.

Sometimes Jon's heavy-handed haranguing has the opposite impact from what was intended. I picked up Consider Phlebas on his similarly strong 'endorsement'.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 06:12 AM   #53
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I enjoyed the first book.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 06:18 AM   #54
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
There used to be a site that listed best fantasy books that had lists classified via sub-genres as well, like stand alone, series, and several categories. It had a companion for SF as well. It must have gone down, I can't find it any more.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 10:14 AM   #55
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I have a little trouble with the word "best". By what criteria?
My definitions go somewhat like this: Keep forever (Best), Re-read often, Read once, Don't finish, and Never buy any more from that author.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 10:19 AM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I skimmed this thread even though fantasy is not my genre, but how can The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle not be on the list?
That is a very good question.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 10:20 AM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I would argue that _A Wizard of Earthsea_ is notable as one of the best fantasy novels, and a big part of why is that it is one of the first, if not the first, which breaks out of the established mold of "the Wizard is a Merlin clone".

Agree that _The Last Unicorn_ would merit being added as well.
Just because it's old does not make it good. And the proof that age doesn't matter is because A Wizard of Earthsea is terrible.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 10:49 AM   #58
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Just because it's old does not make it good. And the proof that age doesn't matter is because A Wizard of Earthsea is terrible.
Age does matter when it’s a case of groundbreaking v. derivative. The first gets the plaudits. And while age in itself doesn’t make something good, when a book has lasted and is highly regarded, I think we can call that good enough. Actually, great.

Sometimes “not to my taste” is the right response.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote