Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-21-2022, 08:17 PM   #46
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Then I don't know what else to suggest because I've done exactly what I described on my own Libra2 and it works fine for me as you can see in this screenshot.
Thanks for trying. It's puzzling and frustrating. If I can't get books onto the reader, there's no point to its existence.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 08:23 PM   #47
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ableal: that is an amusing cover. I've bought a fold-down type which will stand the reader in both portrait and landscape.

Yes, I'm ejecting it before unplugging. I'm doing this by going to the computer taskbar where there's an 'eject devices' symbol. I just choose the device then click eject. I then check that it's ejected by looking a Computer to see if it's still there.
I've always done this with the kindle ereaders.
Advert
Old 03-21-2022, 08:37 PM   #48
BookCat
C L J

As I'm having no luck with the out-of-the-box Kobo, should I install KoReader or a patch, or something similar to make this reader work?
Old 03-21-2022, 08:52 PM   #49
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
No.

Let me go and read all you've tried and get back to you

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 08:56 PM   #50
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
As I'm having no luck with the out-of-the-box Kobo, should I install KoReader or a patch, or something similar to make this reader work?
My advice would be no hacks until you've got the hang of basic functions.

As a basic test have you tried simply drag-dropping a single epub from the PC into the root of the USB-connected drive just to see whether it correctly auto-imports after you disconnect safely?

It should show up in MyBooks if successfully imported. The metadata (Title, Author) displayed will be whatever is stored inside the epub rather than its filename.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2022, 09:22 PM   #51
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When your Kobo is connected to your PC open the Windows file explorer. You should see your Kobo as an attached device

When you open that drive you should see a list of folders, including .kobo. Do not create your Books folder under .Kobo; make sure it's in the root of that drive.

Copy some DRM free books to that location and then eject the device from your PC.

The Kobo should no longer display a Connected and Charging screen; instead it will briefly show a bar progressing across the screen as it imports the new books (ie adds them to the Kobo database).

Old 03-21-2022, 11:47 PM   #52
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
When your Kobo is connected to your PC open the Windows file explorer. You should see your Kobo as an attached device

When you open that drive you should see a list of folders, including .kobo. Do not create your Books folder under .Kobo; make sure it's in the root of that drive.

Copy some DRM free books to that location and then eject the device from your PC.

The Kobo should no longer display a Connected and Charging screen; instead it will briefly show a bar progressing across the screen as it imports the new books (ie adds them to the Kobo database).

I created a 'books' folder at the root of the Kobo drive, dragged several DRM free (public domain) books into this folder.

I've been a bit confused about the screen I see on the Libra after ejecting it from the computer, using all the normal eject hardware methods, then checking that the drive is no longer seen by the computer. The screen on the Libra doesn't change. It still tells me to be certain to eject it before disconnecting. As I HAVE ejected it, I ignore the screen and press the on button; sometimes I've needed to do a long press to get the reader to switch on.

I've also wondered if books have spent time being 'indexed' as they would on a kindle, but there seems no way to check this. (On a kindle you do a search for random letters, searching everywhere, but it seems you can only search book titles and dictionaries on a kobo, not the entire text.) But it has been so long since I put a public domain book on the reader that it would have indexed by now.

Does the screen after ejecting indicate that the reader doesn't seem to realise it's been ejected?
Old 03-21-2022, 11:50 PM   #53
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
My advice would be no hacks until you've got the hang of basic functions.

As a basic test have you tried simply drag-dropping a single epub from the PC into the root of the USB-connected drive just to see whether it correctly auto-imports after you disconnect safely?

It should show up in MyBooks if successfully imported. The metadata (Title, Author) displayed will be whatever is stored inside the epub rather than its filename.
I've tried this. The book doesn't show on the reader.
Old 03-22-2022, 12:19 AM   #54
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

If you have done an eject by windows, it should them be safe to remove the usb cable from the device.

Old 03-22-2022, 12:21 AM   #55
BookCat
C L J

Success!

After successfully installing a Calibre plugin, suggested by PeterT, Calibre could 'see' the Libra.
Peter's comments about the screen made me wonder if I was ejecting the ereader correctly, so instead of ejecting using the 'hardward eject' icon in the taskbar, I went to My Computer, Kobo, right-clicked this, then chose Eject. I saw what Peter described: a brief progress bar as the Libra switched itself on and displayed ALL THE BOOKS I'VE PUT ON TODAY er . . yesterday.

Thank you so much to everyone for being so patient. I hope this thread will help others migrating from kindle to kobo.
Old 03-22-2022, 09:45 AM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Success!

After successfully installing a Calibre plugin, suggested by PeterT, Calibre could 'see' the Libra.
Peter's comments about the screen made me wonder if I was ejecting the ereader correctly, so instead of ejecting using the 'hardward eject' icon in the taskbar, I went to My Computer, Kobo, right-clicked this, then chose Eject. I saw what Peter described: a brief progress bar as the Libra switched itself on and displayed ALL THE BOOKS I'VE PUT ON TODAY er . . yesterday.

Thank you so much to everyone for being so patient. I hope this thread will help others migrating from kindle to kobo.
I'm glad you have your Libra 2 working. I know you'll enjoy it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
libra 2, thinking of buying