Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-31-2021, 02:50 PM   #5701
wandalynn
Addict
wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, Aluratek Libre
Recap of 2021, Goals for 2022

Ending the year with 179 owned but unread ebooks and paperbooks. I began with 184, deleted 1 that was gosh-awful, and acquired 15 newbies. Of these owned books I read 19. That’s 15 new books and 19 read.

Overall, I read 87 books of which 39 were borrowed, 19 were owned, 12 were audiobooks either borrowed or owned, and 17 were advance reading copies.

My goal for the next year is to only buy books I plan to read right away. Even if they’re not on sale. I think I’ll spend less that way than by buying bargains that I just end up hoarding. Also, I’m setting a LibraryThing ROOT (Read Our Own Tomes) goal of 18 books including audio.

01/07 - 179 found 1 ebook
01/31 - 179
02/28 - 178
03/22 - 177 deleted 1 ebook
03/31 - 176
04/30 - 177
05/31 - 180
06/30 - 179
07/31 - 181
08/31 - 181
09/30 - 181
10/31 - 181
11/30 - 182
12/31 - 183

Last edited by wandalynn; 12-31-2022 at 07:29 PM.
wandalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 04:05 PM   #5702
CAFlanny
Connoisseur
CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour, Bigme B751C, Kindle Voyage
Technically, the month is not over, but I'm not going to get any further in my reading goals. I read 10 books this month, with 8 books from TBR and 2 from KU. I bought 2 books, so I start the year with a TBR of 232.

My plan for 2022 is to really focus on getting through those paid for books that I've let pile up. Before August of this year, I was reading a lot from Kindle Unlimited and got stuck in a rut of always reading the same type of book. I've started using the pick a random book feature of calibre, which helps change things up.
CAFlanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2021, 06:42 PM   #5703
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
For the coming year, I’m going to try to restrict myself to purchasing wishlist books only; i.e., no purchases where the price creates the want. I won’t be petty about it; if I run across a book for cheap that’s exactly my thing I’ll go for it, but I’ll try to be like a horse with blinders on, so to speak. If I don’t see it, I can’t buy it.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 04:22 AM   #5704
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I have bought one book already! But it is the monthly Dick Francis. In the UK the publisher seems to be offering one random Dick Francis novel at £0.99 each month. I suppoe I could have waited until nearer the end of the month to make my figures look better, but I don't want to miss it.

I'm certainly not going out and looking for bargains. But if uk.ereaderiq.com tells me that one of the books on my wishlist has reached the desired price (mostly £1.00), I'll probably get it.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 09:18 AM   #5705
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I have bought one book already! But it is the monthly Dick Francis. In the UK the publisher seems to be offering one random Dick Francis novel at £0.99 each month. I suppoe I could have waited until nearer the end of the month to make my figures look better, but I don't want to miss it.

I'm certainly not going out and looking for bargains. But if uk.ereaderiq.com tells me that one of the books on my wishlist has reached the desired price (mostly £1.00), I'll probably get it.
bought 4 this morning went through my wishlist and bought the 4 that had been reduced to 0.99p each. no hope for me lol
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2022, 11:07 AM   #5706
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I'm very happy with my 2021. I bought just 27 books, and have started 22 of them (finished 19). Only 2 were in paper, both non-fiction hardbacks, and one was also bundled with a PDF, which is what I'm actually reading (also both in the started-but-not-finished group - one is a very long listicle type coffee-table book that I'll be inching through for ages, and the other I just haven't wanted to read so much because it is in paper).

I read 72 books, well over twice as much.

Including freebies and loans, my unread count is still slightly up (79 total books in), but not by much, and I've decided I don't care about freebies. They aren't doing any harm. If I want to read them, I can; if I don't, I won't.

I guess I'm saying I think I might be cured.

Or, to put it another way, I have accumulated so many unread books already that it's increasingly ridiculous to buy more, especially if I'm not going to read them immediately.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 08:03 PM   #5707
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Just checking and for December, 2021, I purchased 73 books. 11 of them were purchased with Kobo gift cards that I received for Christmas so I'm ended the year with 6 unread books. One of the series that I bought was definitely worth the price, one of them was not bad and the third was good until near the end of the last book where the author pulled a deux ex machina to get out the corner she'd painted the main characters into.

Oh, ghod, for however long I have a TBR pile.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 11:54 PM   #5708
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
One of the series that I bought was definitely worth the price, one of them was not bad and the third was good until near the end of the last book where the author pulled a deux ex machina to get out the corner she'd painted the main characters into.
One of the cozy mysteries I read -- it's probably not a good sign when the protagonist is so awful that you start cheering when the murderer tries to kill them near the end of the book...

Also, I have a friend who DNF'd a book and when he went to look up the ending it turned out that in a military sci-fi book, Dracula suddenly shows up and kills all the aliens.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 12:03 AM   #5709
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post

Also, I have a friend who DNF'd a book and when he went to look up the ending it turned out that in a military sci-fi book, Dracula suddenly shows up and kills all the aliens.
That would suck! #tooeasy #sorrynotsorry
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 12:22 AM   #5710
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post

Yes! That totally p#ssed me off. I love David Weber and his military sci fi. And it was a typically good book until the ending. Vampires…WTF

I tried to figure out how to contact him to chastise him
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 07:50 AM   #5711
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Yes! That totally p#ssed me off. I love David Weber and his military sci fi. And it was a typically good book until the ending. Vampires…WTF

Worst book of his I ever read. And he wrote a sequel, which I did not buy.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 10:03 AM   #5712
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kind of a bad news, good news status update.

On Sunday, only the second day of the year! I fell prey to a good value on a book of some interest. And then today, I caught myself investigating a couple of intriguing prices and finally said, STOP. So not only did I back off, I contacted Kobo CS and returned my Sunday purchase. (Pity I didn’t buy it at Amazon, which is where I saw it anyway.)

So the slate has been wiped clean and I hope I’ve both learned a lesson (again!) and that success will breed success. Because I really don’t need more ebooks.

(On a related but OT note: I also went through my holds at OverDrive and canceled most of them - the ones of less than extremely high interest. If it’s a book I really want to read, lowering my TBR rather than reading a borrowed book becomes a foolish goal. However, the problem with library books and one I’ve had my entire life is that the nature of due dates pushes the books I want to read most down the reading queue behind marginal books that need to be returned.)
Old 01-04-2022, 10:18 AM   #5713
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Kind of a bad news, good news status update.

On Sunday, only the second day of the year! I fell prey to a good value on a book of some interest. And then today, I caught myself investigating a couple of intriguing prices and finally said, STOP. So not only did I back off, I contacted Kobo CS and returned my Sunday purchase. (Pity I didn’t buy it at Amazon, which is where I saw it anyway.)

So the slate has been wiped clean and I hope I’ve both learned a lesson (again!) and that success will breed success. Because I really don’t need more ebooks.

(On a related but OT note: I also went through my holds at OverDrive and canceled most of them - the ones of less than extremely high interest. If it’s a book I really want to read, lowering my TBR rather than reading a borrowed book becomes a foolish goal. However, the problem with library books and one I’ve had my entire life is that the nature of due dates pushes the books I want to read most down the reading queue behind marginal books that need to be returned.)
Cheers to you for that!

For the New Year, I made sure that my court bag included my Kobo Mini. I usually work at a public library if court ends early due to travel logistics. Being IN the library usually led to getting library books that I didn't really need.

Having my mini with me led me to start actually reading a book I own yesterday rather than checking one out. It means I have different books going on different readers, but its not really an different than having a book going on the reader and a library book on the beside table.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 10:35 AM   #5714
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Cheers to you for that!

For the New Year, I made sure that my court bag included my Kobo Mini. I usually work at a public library if court ends early due to travel logistics. Being IN the library usually led to getting library books that I didn't really need.

Having my mini with me led me to start actually reading a book I own yesterday rather than checking one out. It means I have different books going on different readers, but its not really an different than having a book going on the reader and a library book on the beside table.
I’m a firm believer in having a reader that lives in my out-and-about-bag; that way it can’t be forgotten. Overall, I tend to keep lighter reads on it, things that won’t suffer from distractions and short reading stints. And on the Mini, my battery is still going gangbusters which is really quite gratifying when you consider how old they are. It certainly minimizes the, “Dang, I left it on the charger” issue.

ETA: Yes, the library issue is that it’s a hidden cost. The books appeal because they’re free, leading to lower criteria - except that reading time is not free.

Last edited by issybird; 01-04-2022 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01-04-2022, 10:38 AM   #5715
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post

I remember that book. I'm a big Weber fan, too. I HATED that ending. I'm not sure if I've ever been more disappointed in an ending than that one. If it would have been a paperback I would have thrown it across the room and then set it on fire, probably.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote