Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 02:04 AM   #526
Justin Nemo
Stercus accidit
Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nookpadle 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Sometimes I get tired of arguing, but that doesn't mean I am going to change my mind and agree that DRM in general is bad. Just means I might be quieter.

One point that keeps getting stepped on is about how Authors can or can't opt out of DRM. I keep hearing "well the authors don't like it either." Of course if the author has signed an agreement to have DRM on a book, then he is bound by that agreement, but on other books, he can do what he wishes.

My point is that an author can sell an eBook in a myriad of ways without DRM. All he has to do is choose to.

I choose to have DRM, though I might make an exception on a series to reach some new readers. That is what marketing and advertising is all about.
That's very true Custer my old friend (I'm presuming your photo is of Custer or some other dead redneck). The problem with most new authors is that they don't want to rock the boat, so if they are told you have to use DRM to publish with us, they follow on like sheep and do as they're told. Also like sheep they like to bleat about it afterwards, but will never stand up for their beliefs.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:29 AM   #527
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Nemo View Post
That's very true Custer my old friend (I'm presuming your photo is of Custer or some other dead redneck).[...]
This sentence was relevant and useful to friendly discussion ... how exactly?
Advert
Old 04-26-2012, 04:39 AM   #528
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
They should have quite while they were still ahead ---- about 10 pages ago. This "disgustion" has pretty much run its course.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:57 AM   #529
Justin Nemo
Stercus accidit
Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I didn't hear you running to my defence when he called me a child.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:59 AM   #530
Justin Nemo
Stercus accidit

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
They should have quite while they were still ahead ---- about 10 pages ago. This "disgustion" has pretty much run its course.
So you have nothing useful left to say on this matter?
Advert
Old 04-26-2012, 06:31 AM   #531
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Both sides presented all their arguments several times already. Or do you have something new to say?
Old 04-26-2012, 06:41 AM   #532
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I didn't hear you running to my defence when he called me a child.
Given the run of that part of the thread, the implication that the indirectly referenced post from yourself was perhaps ... naive, seemed not entirely inappropriate. I'd rather not defend it any further than that, but I do feel that that gibe was of a significantly different nature to the one you made above.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:49 AM   #533
Justin Nemo
Stercus accidit

Quote:
Given the run of that part of the thread, the implication that the indirectly referenced post from yourself was perhaps ... naive, seemed not entirely inappropriate. I'd rather not defend it any further than that, but I do feel that that gibe was of a significantly different nature to the one you made above.
I'm sure that frahse doesn't need you or anyone else to stick up for him as he has shown on many occasions. I do find it interesting however that you have only commented on that part of my post and not on the rest of it which was related to the topic of DRM.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:51 AM   #534
Justin Nemo
Stercus accidit

Quote:
Both sides presented all their arguments several times already. Or do you have something new to say?
So because YOU feel that the subject has been exhausted, the rest of us should shut up, is that it?
Old 04-26-2012, 07:09 AM   #535
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

Quote:
I'm sure that frahse doesn't need you or anyone else to stick up for him as he has shown on many occasions. I do find it interesting however that you have only commented on that part of my post and not on the rest of it which was related to the topic of DRM.
I wasn't sticking up for frahse, who we both know is capable of looking after himself. I was defending the thread - which so far had managed to remain remarkably restrained and amicable.

I didn't comment on the rest of your post because I didn't really want to get drawn back into the circle (which makes it start to feel like a whirlpool and I'm not swimming fast enough). My main reaction to the rest of your post was that it felt like you were being derogatory of the actions and reactions of authors that use DRM without any apparent justification or evidence. There didn't seem much to respond to.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:16 AM   #536
Justin Nemo
Stercus accidit

Quote:
I wasn't sticking up for frahse, who we both know is capable of looking after himself. I was defending the thread - which so far had managed to remain remarkably restrained and amicable.

I didn't comment on the rest of your post because I didn't really want to get drawn back into the circle (which makes it start to feel like a whirlpool and I'm not swimming fast enough). My main reaction to the rest of your post was that it felt like you were being derogatory of the actions and reactions of authors that use DRM without any apparent justification or evidence. There didn't seem much to respond to.
I always thought that the whirlpool was a stimulant for conversation. I take your point however and apologise to frahse for my comments about his avatar.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:32 AM   #537
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
So because YOU feel that the subject has been exhausted, the rest of us should shut up, is that it?
No, I am giving some good advice to avoid things getting nasty. I actually was on your side of the argument, remember?
Old 04-26-2012, 08:16 AM   #538
Justin Nemo
Stercus accidit

Quote:
No, I am giving some good advice to avoid things getting nasty. I actually was on your side of the argument, remember?
What makes you think that things are getting nasty? I agree, this thread has probably run its course, but others may have more or some thing new to say about it.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:18 AM   #539
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Moderator Notice

This note is to remind members that they should report posts that are contrary to the posting guidelines, rather than retaliating.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:55 AM   #540
Justin Nemo
Stercus accidit

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post

This note is to remind members that they should report posts that are contrary to the posting guidelines, rather than retaliating.
Yes I tried that without success.
Closed Thread