Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-28-2014, 03:21 PM   #526
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
Sure, but the Sony E-Book Reader case isn't. The only advantage is the weight.
I am not so sure. The case could likely flex a bit and impact to the screen itself would break a glass backing as would a drop of the device in some circumstances. I believe we are seeing what could be the answer to a ruggedized design. I would hope a new crop of E Ink devices will emerge with this kind of screen. I think this might be the future of eBook Reading devices and stem the tide of Tablets taking over even in smaller devices.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:01 PM   #527
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
The case could likely flex a bit and impact to the screen itself would break a glass backing as would a drop of the device in some circumstances.
My eight years of e-ink reader experience have taught me one thing:

Don't drop your e-book reader!

I don't think the technology is that flexible. You should guard your e-book reader like gold otherwise it will be expensive.

Last edited by joblack; 03-28-2014 at 05:08 PM.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2014, 05:27 PM   #528
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
No information on development of an English UI?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:55 PM   #529
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
My eight years of e-ink reader experience have taught me one thing:

Don't drop your e-book reader!

I don't think the technology is that flexible. You should guard your e-book reader like gold otherwise it will be expensive.
True enough but 8 years of experience doesn't count on a flexible eBook display. Every thing we knew about glass screens is now out the window. No glass screen! Time will tell how rugged it will be.

Dale
Old 03-28-2014, 07:24 PM   #530
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
No information on development of an English UI?
When they sell it in the USA it will be in English. Everything else would be a surprise.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2014, 01:57 AM   #531
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
True enough but 8 years of experience doesn't count on a flexible eBook display. Every thing we knew about glass screens is now out the window. No glass screen! Time will tell how rugged it will be.

Dale
As an owner of a Wexler Flex One (world's first flexible ereader), I would like to chip in. Yes, it's featherweight, but also extremely durable (the Wexler I mean). Forget dropping it, I think you could play frisbee with it without damaging it (granted, I haven't tried that one). There is no question in my mind this is the future of ereaders - I, for one, will never buy a glass-backed reader again. When flexible screens go colour, they will be seriously useful, although still limited by the slow refresh rate.
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:39 AM   #532
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
This has now been announced on the BBC web site: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26818112.

Quote:
Sony has unveiled a tablet barely 7mm thick that is built around an A4-sized touchscreen made of electronic paper.

The Digital Paper tablet uses the well-known E-ink display and lets people write notes on and annotate the documents it displays.

Designed for office use, Sony said that the low-power device should work for three weeks without needing to be recharged.

The wi-fi using gadget will go on sale in May and should cost $1,100 (£660).
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:06 PM   #533
endless_reading
endless_reading began at the beginning.

Device: box M92, DXG
guides

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-dig...product-DPTS1/

So it does have a browser, i may buy one.
endless_reading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:13 PM   #534
endless_reading

PDF only is not a big problem for me, since there is no need to use such a large screen to read other formats of books. Though the price of $1100 is a little bit too high.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:27 AM   #535
endless_reading

I've tried really hard, but could not find any information about the processor speed and RAM size, anybody has any idea about then?
Old 04-01-2014, 03:30 AM   #536
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Those data hasn't been released by Sony. They are doing a Rolls-Royce on us by saying "enough".
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:46 AM   #537
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmirko View Post
As an owner of a Wexler Flex One (world's first flexible ereader), I would like to chip in.
Is it really the "world's first flexible screen"? What about the Polymer Vision "Readius"?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:06 AM   #538
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by endless_reading View Post
I've tried really hard, but could not find any information about the processor speed and RAM size, anybody has any idea about then?
The BBC article (see the link above) says 4GB of internal storage plus support for micro SD.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:32 AM   #539
Yokowa
Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: SONY PRS-T1 T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by endless_reading View Post
It is still based on Freescale's i.MX508, so CPU runs at 800Mhz or 1Ghz.
eMMC is SanDisk iNAND type SDIN5D1-4G or SDIN5D2-4G.
No idea about RAM size.
eMMC Partition Table:
Code:
Disk /dev/mmcblk2: 3959 MB, 3959422976 bytes
4 heads, 16 sectors/track, 120832 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 64 * 512 = 32768 bytes
mmcblk2: p1 p2 p3 < p5 p6 p7 p8 p9 p10 > p4
        Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks  Id System
/dev/mmcblk2p1             801        1120       10240  83 Linux
/dev/mmcblk2p2            1121        1440       10240  83 Linux
/dev/mmcblk2p3            1441       20966      624832   5 Extended
/dev/mmcblk2p4           20967      119296     3146560  83 Linux
/dev/mmcblk2p5            1441        5537      131096  83 Linux
/dev/mmcblk2p6            5538        9890      139288  83 Linux
/dev/mmcblk2p7            9891       10211       10264  83 Linux
/dev/mmcblk2p8           10212       11236       32792  83 Linux
/dev/mmcblk2p9           11237       12773       49176  83 Linux
/dev/mmcblk2p10          12774       20966      262168  83 Linux

Last edited by Yokowa; 04-01-2014 at 11:11 AM.
Yokowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:33 PM   #540
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Is it really the "world's first flexible screen"? What about the Polymer Vision "Readius"?
Certainly not. How about the WEXLER. Flex ONE. We have MobileRead users that have this unit.

Dale