Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-25-2016, 09:05 PM   #511
Ksquared
Groupie
Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Original Kobo Aura 6", Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
That's what ziploc bags are for

Shari
I've done that with my Aura! The capacitive touch still works.
Ksquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:59 PM   #512
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The H2O did not have screen issues. I have one with no screen issues. Saying otherwise is not true.
John, come on. Really? The only way this statement makes any sense is if someone said that your personal reader had screen issues. You really need to take lessons about how to be less dickish on the Internet.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2016, 11:30 PM   #513
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The H2O did not have screen issues. I have one with no screen issues. Saying otherwise is not true.
Jon, just because you did not have screen problems with your H2O does not mean that all H2Os did not have screen issues. Following your "logic" would mean that no one had problems with their Edsel since my father had no problems with his Edsel Corsair. A non sequitur at best, disingenuous at the least.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 11:35 PM   #514
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHazardsDuke View Post
@freekobo - Your avatar of that little bug freaked me out dude! I looked up at my screen, saw it, thought it was a real bug and about did a 20 foot somersault into the air that would have made an Olympian proud. I was about to start spraying bug spray like a champion till I realized it was your avatar.
I don't know how long freekobo has had that avatar, but I still start reaching to wipe the bug of my screen when I see it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 11:45 PM   #515
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I don't know how long freekobo has had that avatar, but I still start reaching to wipe the bug of my screen when I see it.
I have tried more than once to squash that bug.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2016, 12:28 AM   #516
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
The fact that people who preordered the H2O got devices with no issues, and that folks who ordered well after release got ones with issues would seem to fly in the face of the claim that build quality improves the further into the release cycle we get. I'm not saying things always get worse either, rather that there are potential defects all along the lifespan of the production life of a device.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 02:07 AM   #517
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
The fact that people who preordered the H2O got devices with no issues, and that folks who ordered well after release got ones with issues would seem to fly in the face of the claim that build quality improves the further into the release cycle we get. I'm not saying things always get worse either, rather that there are potential defects all along the lifespan of the production life of a device.
I got my H2O when it was already well introduced. I most certainly didn't get one from the first batches (it was out for almost a year when I bought mine...) And I didn't have any problems with it either. But, as usual, your mileage will vary.

I think the biggest problem is, that companies are saving money on quality control, so more and more "faulty" devices pass the test while they shouldn't...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:50 AM   #518
Ksquared
Groupie
Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Original Kobo Aura 6", Libra H2O
In reliability engineering, early failures in the lifecycle of a product are considered part of the "Bathtub Curve". That does not mean a product produced with poor quality control will ever be great, but it does acknowledge early failures as a known phenomenon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathtub_curve
Ksquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 07:16 AM   #519
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_1964 View Post
... the comfort light of the new reader changes the light from bright Glo HD to the old more yellow of the original HD, that doesn't mean that blue is filtered because it is still there, the led just change in color, that is not a filter.A real filter remove the blue light, this are just colour changing leds but still emits blue light, ...
Doing a quick Google of RGB LEDs, I came up with this (which makes sense to me):

Quote:
... Multi Color LED Bulbs have three separate LED chips embedded (red, green, and blue), each with a pair of leads (some just use four leads, with common ground), all behind a diffuser.

By running independent PWM to each chip, you can mix different intensities of red, green, and blue to get any color ...
So if the blue intensity is set to "0", wouldn't that mean that there is no blue light?

And looking at some of the review pictures, the screen colors do not look like the "yellow" of any of the Kobo devices I've seen/owned.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:49 AM   #520
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Doing a quick Google of RGB LEDs, I came up with this (which makes sense to me):

So if the blue intensity is set to "0", wouldn't that mean that there is no blue light?

And looking at some of the review pictures, the screen colors do not look like the "yellow" of any of the Kobo devices I've seen/owned.
There was somekind of movie showing this, but there is some "offtopic stuff" in this topic that doesn't invite me much to walk trough all the pages again to try find it.
I can't make a picture of my old Glo to show it's color of the light, and even when I can, without the movie that showed it, it will be hard to compare it.
The movie didn't show a "set blue to zero option" but just a (second) slider bar like the light intensity one, that regulates the comfort light color.
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:17 AM   #521
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_1964 View Post
There was somekind of movie showing this, but there is some "offtopic stuff" in this topic that doesn't invite me much to walk trough all the pages again to try find it.
I can't make a picture of my old Glo to show it's color of the light, and even when I can, without the movie that showed it, it will be hard to compare it.
The movie didn't show a "set blue to zero option" but just a (second) slider bar like the light intensity one, that regulates the comfort light color.
And again, the video/review I saw showed some colors that looked nothing (relatively) like any of the other Kobo readers. As far as no individual sliders for blue, since we don't no the colors that the one slider is setting, it may be completely eliminating blue. Doing a quick search of (red + green), I get an "ugly khaki-brown", which may have been one of the colors I saw in the videos. I'm curious why you think that blue light is always there (on the Aura One), when (I think) in theory, it could be easily eliminated on the Aura One?
Old 08-26-2016, 10:21 AM   #522
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Look at the video on this page, around 36 seconds, at the screen labeled "night":

https://us.kobobooks.com/products/kobo-aura-one
Old 08-26-2016, 01:32 PM   #523
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Depends on how it's implemented, blue cut filter can work very well. I have f.lux on my jailbroken iPad and it is really nice. It does not go all the way to red/orange, just a very warm yellow. You can set it to change the temp slowly throughout the day, so you don't even notice it and it looks very natural. If you happen to turn it off at night, you may think woh that is so blue how could I stand looking at that.

I don't know about the health / sleep claims but a warmer light at night makes sense because it is just more smoothing. After all, you don't install the same white fluorescent lights you have at the office in your bedroom, right?
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:16 PM   #524
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Just a heads up for those who are planning to order from Chapters when pre-orders open this weekend: Canada Post (Canada's mail carrier) is in the midst of some labour strife with the postal carriers union and while they are in mediation, they could go on strike or be locked out as of Monday (or hopefully they'll sort everything out and that won't happen ). IIRC Chapters ships via Canada Post which hands it off to U.S. Post Office. Don't know what if any contingencies they have in place but since there may be a bunch of people ordering this weekend I thought I'd give a heads up.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:26 PM   #525
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Just a heads up for those who are planning to order from Chapters when pre-orders open this weekend: Canada Post (Canada's mail carrier) is in the midst of some labour strife with the postal carriers union and while they are in mediation, they could go on strike or be locked out as of Monday (or hopefully they'll sort everything out and that won't happen ). IIRC Chapters ships via Canada Post which hands it off to U.S. Post Office. Don't know what if any contingencies they have in place but since there may be a bunch of people ordering this weekend I thought I'd give a heads up.
Good lord I hope my glo HD got out in time...

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote