Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-25-2016, 05:09 AM   #496
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
I see a lot of answers, but I was talking from my point of view and I know I can change the "tap area" but once you get used to swipe, you will keep doing that. Regarding the blue light, the old Glo (not the HD) has some kind of yellow backlicht, the Glo HD has bright light, the comfort light of the new reader changes the light from bright Glo HD to the old more yellow of the original HD, that doesn't mean that blue is filtered because it is still there, the led just change in color, that is not a filter.A real filter remove the blue light, this are just colour changing leds but still emits blue light, does it bother me, no, I didn't like the led color of the old Glo..

Regarding more words on a line, that is not correct, for sure if gives more words but everything shifts, the results are the empty usable lines at the bottom...

Again, about the device myself, it doesn't have enough pro's and to much cons, so I will not buy it, the pro's are not enough to convince me buying it. And the price is to high to defend, especially when you have to buy a sleepcover that costs almost 1/3 th of the price of the reader itself..
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 05:17 AM   #497
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_1964 View Post
Regarding more words on a line, that is not correct, for sure if gives more words but everything shifts, the results are the empty usable lines at the bottom...
Have a look at the German video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFtQX2T8Fk4 from 12' on: he shows how the text on one Glo HD page is about 3/4 of the text on the Aura One, which is exactly why I pre-ordered it the day I knew it was possible on fnac.com, and I won't cancel it even though the German reviewer shows that nothing has improved on PDFs.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2016, 11:57 AM   #498
TheHazardsDuke
Connoisseur
TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
This is looking like a fine device. However it seems like it may not be suited to long reading sessions, especially not if you hold it with one hand. Have any reviews actually clarified this?
TheHazardsDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 12:41 PM   #499
freekobo
Addict
freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
The Aura One isn't worth the current price, in my opinion. Next year it should be cheaper and manufactured better probably, I will wait until then.
freekobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 12:47 PM   #500
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by freekobo View Post
The Aura One isn't worth the current price, in my opinion. Next year it should be cheaper and manufactured better probably, I will wait until then.
Have any other Kobo models dropped in price and changed in build quality over time?
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2016, 01:09 PM   #501
freekobo
Addict
freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
Have any other Kobo models dropped in price and changed in build quality over time?
Yes, current models are lower in price already. First batch of any electronic device usually has flaws, these get worked out as reports come in. I think the Glo & H20 has some screen issues at first.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:13 PM   #502
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Yes, current models are lower in price already. First batch of any electronic device usually has flaws, these get worked out as reports come in. I think the Glo & H20 has some screen issues at first.
The lower prices are only because there's a new model, so I think you'll need to wait a while...
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 01:13 PM   #503
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
The One is less than one ounce heavier than the H2O, and it requires fewer page-turns for the same text.
As a speed-reader, I'd buy it just for the additional content/page, but the bonus of the grippy texture on the back (finally - what gormless designers put smooth glass or plastic backs on tablets and phones? have they never actually held one?) will more than make up for the extra ounce re. hold-ability.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 01:15 PM   #504
freekobo
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
The lower prices are only because there's a new model, so I think you'll need to wait a while...
maybe not, they put sales on around Christmas too.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:37 PM   #505
TheHazardsDuke
Connoisseur
TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@freekobo - Your avatar of that little bug freaked me out dude! I looked up at my screen, saw it, thought it was a real bug and about did a 20 foot somersault into the air that would have made an Olympian proud. I was about to start spraying bug spray like a champion till I realized it was your avatar.

I don't think Kobo's have ever improved over time in terms of build quality. I think they're as good as they're gonna get until a new model comes out.

I really want to want the One but it seems the reviews (although impressions might be more accurate) are very mixed when it comes to a) being able to hold it one handed for extended periods and b) not accidentally turning the pages due to the thin bezels.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:34 PM   #506
freekobo
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHazardsDuke View Post
@freekobo - Your avatar of that little bug freaked me out dude! I looked up at my screen, saw it, thought it was a real bug and about did a 20 foot somersault into the air that would have made an Olympian proud. I was about to start spraying bug spray like a champion till I realized it was your avatar.
ahahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHazardsDuke View Post

I don't think Kobo's have ever improved over time in terms of build quality. I think they're as good as they're gonna get until a new model comes out.

I really want to want the One but it seems the reviews (although impressions might be more accurate) are very mixed when it comes to a) being able to hold it one handed for extended periods and b) not accidentally turning the pages due to the thin bezels.
When I first got the Glo back when it came out, there was pin hole bright dots on the screen when the light was on. I had to exchange it like 3/4 times until I got one without the issue. its my understanding that later versions didn't have that issue. anywho, there may not be any issues with the kobo aura one at all, but in my opinion and experience being an early adopter for any new electronic device has a risk.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:55 PM   #507
TheHazardsDuke
Connoisseur

That sucked, at least you eventually got a working one though. I'm impressed you stuck with Kobo through that. Most people would have stopped after the first faulty one these days. Mind you it's not like there's much choice with ereaders. I'd rather have no ereader at all than buy a Kindle so it's Kobo or broke.

I had problems with dead pixels when I was an early adopter on the Nintendo DS XL and I know others who have had problems with tablets. Electronics may have alot of advantages but they'll never match the reliability of the 'analog' world.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:35 PM   #508
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
The One is less than one ounce heavier than the H2O, and it requires fewer page-turns for the same text.
Minor correction... The Aura One is listed on Kobo's site as weighing 230 grams while the Aura H2O is listed as weighing 233 grams. So the One is 3 grams or about .1 ounce lighter. The back texture doesn't really matter to me since I will be using a cover of some sort. I will miss the external uSD card slot.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 07:00 PM   #509
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
The H2O did not have screen issues. I have one with no screen issues. Saying otherwise is not true.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 07:04 PM   #510
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Aura One at a similar weight to the H2O can easily be held one handed. The H2O is very easy to hold one handed. You just have to get used to swiping the screen with your thumb.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote