Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-07-2011, 10:40 AM   #481
ShadowDragon
Enthusiast
ShadowDragon has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nook, Kobo Aura HD
Where is that big Red Button?

<smack!!> Too easy
ShadowDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:57 PM   #482
3matthew3
3matthew3 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
'Silhouette Live Wallpaper' - very nice Live wallpaper that works well on the NC.
http://www.appbrain.com/app/silhouet...ilhouette_free

'WiFi File Explorer' - sets up nice web-server for transfering files to NC SD card.
http://www.appbrain.com/app/wifi-fil...ileExplorerPRO

'Tapatalk' - great for reading the forums... [xda, ect]
http://www.appbrain.com/app/tapatalk...lkpro.activity

'Simi Clock Widget' - very nice looking clock
http://www.appbrain.com/app/simi-clo....gTabsimiClock

'BattStatt Widget' - cool battery level widget
http://www.appbrain.com/app/battstat...bajawa.battery

Also, running Softkeys, but recently changed the Volume+/- to Menu/Back.
works great.
3matthew3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2011, 11:34 PM   #483
kblair210
Enthusiast
kblair210 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3matthew3 View Post
Also, running Softkeys
You should really check out button savior.
kblair210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:51 AM   #484
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
Has anyone used Button Savior extensively in the Klondike Solitaire (by Softick Ltd.) app? This thing is landscape only, and I have button savior setup on the right side of the screen (or in this case, the edge nearest the physical "n" button), and the menu fades in about 5 seconds leaving just the little arrow on the screen constantly.

I have to tap and hold the little arrow for the menu, and there are times when I have to do this at least 7 or 8 times just to get it activated. Anyone else experiencing this?
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:57 PM   #485
SammyWI
SammyWI has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 2, NookColor (rooted)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
Has anyone used Button Savior extensively in the Klondike Solitaire (by Softick Ltd.) app? This thing is landscape only, and I have button savior setup on the right side of the screen (or in this case, the edge nearest the physical "n" button), and the menu fades in about 5 seconds leaving just the little arrow on the screen constantly.

I have to tap and hold the little arrow for the menu, and there are times when I have to do this at least 7 or 8 times just to get it activated. Anyone else experiencing this?
Is Button Savior working differently in other apps? The menu fade to the small button can be set in the options (5seconds by default IIRC). And it can be set for tap or tap and hold on the small arrow to bring up the menu. Hitting the small button can be tough with it right on the edge and very small.
SammyWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2011, 04:19 PM   #486
SammyWI

I've been trying out several free comic readers now on the NC.

ADV (or Droid Comic Viewer) - first one I tried and it's still nice. I like it's controls the best of any I've tried. Allows swipe to turn pages and has little semi transparent circles in the corners that can be set for various functions. Biggest limitation is that it does not use the full screen width in landscape mode.

JJcomics - This one does full screen width in landscape which is great - I barely ever need to zoom. Has similar circles at the screen edges as ADV for controls but does not have swipe to turn page (that I can find). For me, it's page turning is noticeably slow.

Perfect Viewer - This is my choice right now. Not perfect but the best for me. Does full screen landscape. No swipe to turn page. No markers on screen for tap functions - the screen is divided into areas for each function but you can't see them during normal viewing. You can see the tap area outlines with a menu command or when you first start the app. PV and ACV seem the same in speed to me with JJcomics slower for me. (I've seen others report jjcomics speed as fast or faster than the others - not sure why.)

Edit: another nice feature of PV is that in landscape, full width mode, tapping the right middle of the screen will scroll down in in chunks (pretty much a page down). At the bottom of the page, the same tap will turn the page. It works very well, I can read straight through by tapping one point on the screen and a bit of drag scrolling.

Last edited by SammyWI; 01-09-2011 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:33 PM   #487
shrktank
Connoisseur
shrktank has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony 650,Nook Color and iPad
Hello

Just want to thank you all for the forum postings on how to root and get the nooklet(nook running android apps) up and running.

Here are some of my favorite apps I have installed and enjoy:

logmein: Allows you to access remote computers. I use this to access my work computer as well as home Mac Mini which is hooked up to my media center upstairs.

Fruit Ninja:: To me this ranks up there with Angry Birds. What I found is when you enter game it will try to load a gamecenter type of program. If you hit the back button the game will start.

Pulse: I had this on my iPad and liked it. Basically it is a rss feeder with a very nice layout

Ant Smash and Hungry Shark: : Fun little games to kill time. My grand daughter loves them

Spaghetti Marshmellows:: Another great game.

TuneIn Radio: To me the best radio program on any platform. Little disappointed the record feature is not available for it like on the iPad version

Anyway I have others but these are the ones I have used the most.

Shoot, I just remembered I can also use this Nooklet as a book reader!!!

shrktank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:38 PM   #488
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyWI View Post
...Hitting the small button can be tough with it right on the edge and very small.
Yes, that's why I changed the button to the Android character.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:38 PM   #489
rogerperk
Connoisseur
rogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enough

Device: NC Rooted
Found some great wallpapers that fit well from Coveroid. It's in the Market. Apparently I am a big Golden Gate Bridge fan cuz I downloaded 4 of those.
rogerperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:04 PM   #490
SammyWI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Yes, that's why I changed the button to the Android character.
Hmm, the SenseUI theme does this hmm? Thanks for the tip. I also decided to switch it over to the left side since right side tap is used for page turn in many apps.

And welcome back Scion. You were missed.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:16 PM   #491
ShadowDragon
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrktank View Post
TuneIn Radio: To me the best radio program on any platform. Little disappointed the record feature is not available for it like on the iPad version

Shoot, I just remembered I can also use this Nooklet as a book reader!!!

Thank you for the Radio app, been looking for one so I can bring in 1.FM.

Can't find 'Nooklet' ...
Old 01-09-2011, 08:30 PM   #492
ShadowDragon
Enthusiast

Granted I have only put in one station so far ( 1.FM - Top 40), but I am a little sad that it is only a 32kb stream. On my iPhone, I can choose a higher bit rate. Not much for settings either :/
Old 01-09-2011, 08:45 PM   #493
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
Granted I have only put in one station so far ( 1.FM - Top 40), but I am a little sad that it is only a 32kb stream. On my iPhone, I can choose a higher bit rate. Not much for settings either :/
According to the Market, RadioTime is the ad-free version of TuneInRadio. It's $2, but you can choose the stream. That station is available at 192kbps.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:37 PM   #494
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
According to the Market, RadioTime is the ad-free version of TuneInRadio. It's $2, but you can choose the stream. That station is available at 192kbps.
Hey, welcome back, SCION. Good to see you here.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:20 PM   #495
kblair210
Enthusiast
kblair210 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
HD YouTube

Sorry if this has been posted already, but after 33 pages I've lost track. Here's how to get HD videos on YouTube to work on the NC. (Shamelessly lifted from nookmods)
  1. Uninstall your current YouTube app
  2. Download HDyoutube.apk from here: http://db.tt/y5vVvI2
  3. Using Root Explorer (or file manager of your choice):
  4. - Rename to youtube.apk
  5. - Copy youtube.apk to /system/app
  6. - Set permissions of youtube.apk to rw-r--r--

Now your YouTube app will play HD videos on YouTube.
kblair210 is offline   Reply With Quote