Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil > Plugins

Notices

Old 06-02-2023, 09:10 AM   #481
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
KevinH is right, you'll need to download the Java installer from the Oracle website and install Java.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 09:57 AM   #482
Justin_Thought
Justin_Thought began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
You are missing java not javascript they are two different things. //snip!//
Thank you so much. I didn't realize there was a difference. I found it, downed it, installed it, and to no-one's surprise, now it works like a charm. Appreciate your patience with this N00B!
Justin_Thought is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2023, 09:49 AM   #483
philja
Groupie
philja began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD6
This thread is a great resource

I just found myself having to use Sigil on a Windows 10 machine with Sigil 1.9.30. The few edits I needed worked great but disaster came when I ran the EpubCheck plugin which checked and then first downloaded epubcheck 5.1.0.

I got the classic errors seen so often in this thread and the way out is so clearly defined in the famous first post. A couple of checks showed that the machine only had 32 bit java installed.

A fresh download of Java from Oracle did the trick. There wasn't even any need to edit the PATH environmental variable.

Thanks.
philja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 07:58 AM   #484
Mister L
Groupie
Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Sony 350
TLDR : the automatic update check did not work, for the plugin and for epubcheck, but these are both enabled in preference file.

Hi Doitsu, first, thanks again for this plugin, really useful.

Today I had a strange glitch, wondering if it is a known issue or something I did (wrong).

I had accidentally doubled the "modified" date in the opf file. But no error was found. Following the return from the client, I double checked outside of Sigil using my local version of epubcheck and the error was correctly reported.

I had manually installed the latest version of epubcheck (5.1.0) previously.

I discovered that the plugin had not been updated to the latest version. I did this manually, and the first time I ran it, it updated epubcheck as well to the latest version, so I guess it does not use the same installation as where I installed it (C:\epubcheck). The updated version correctly found the error.

But, in the preferences file, both github and update check are enabled, with a 7 day interval. So I'm not sure why no new versions were signalled / installed, for the plugin and for epubcheck. Did I break something?

Here is the (new) preferences file, it was modified a bit when I updated to the latest version but as far as I can see the only difference is "locale": "fr", was deleted (can I still use that?).

{
"update_check": true,
"clipboard_copy": false,
"usage": false,
"github": true,
"last_time_checked": "2023-09-19 13:04:25.371487",
"check_interval": 7,
"java_path": "java"
}

The check interval was 14, I modified to 7, that's the only thing I changed so far.

Hopefully I didn't break anything important, I use this plugin every day.

Thanks in advance if you have any idea what went wrong.

Last edited by Mister L; 09-19-2023 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Adding TLDR
Mister L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 12:41 PM   #485
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister L View Post
I discovered that the plugin had not been updated to the latest version. I did this manually, and the first time I ran it, it updated epubcheck as well to the latest version, so I guess it does not use the same installation as where I installed it (C:\epubcheck). The updated version correctly found the error.
For what it may be worth, the epubcheck plugin for Sigil installs in the Sigil configuration directory. On my Windows 11 machine, this would be C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\sigil-ebook\sigil\plugins\EpubCheck.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2023, 12:48 PM   #486
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
People tend to confuse/conflate the Sigil plugin with a download from the official EpubCheck website that has "plugin" in the name.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 01:26 PM   #487
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister L View Post
TLDR : the automatic update check did not work, for the plugin and for epubcheck, but these are both enabled in preference file.
Older plugins came with the EPUBCheck java files, but since the file size of the latest EPUBCheck version has become too large, the latest plugin version no longer comes with the .java files and tries to automatically download the EPUBCheck .java files from Github. It'll automatically display the generic update dialog.
As for the deleted locale code, you most likely made a mistake when editing the .json file, and if the plugin can't load entries from the .json file because of syntax errors, it'll re-create the .json file from scratch.

If you add a "locale": "fr", entry, make sure to add it a the top after the open curly brace:
Code:
{
  "locale": "fr",
because if you add it at the end, you'll need to add a comma to the last entry and remove the comma after "fr".
Old 09-19-2023, 03:50 PM   #488
Mister L
Groupie
Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Sony 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
For what it may be worth, the epubcheck plugin for Sigil installs in the Sigil configuration directory. On my Windows 11 machine, this would be C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\sigil-ebook\sigil\plugins\EpubCheck.
Thanks, that's good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
People tend to confuse/conflate the Sigil plugin with a download from the official EpubCheck website that has "plugin" in the name.
I do understand the plugin and epubcheck are 2 separate things. Both were out of date, in this instance. I updated the Sigil plugin manually, and it then (automatically) updated its copy of epubcheck, from github.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Older plugins came with the EPUBCheck java files, but since the file size of the latest EPUBCheck version has become too large, the latest plugin version no longer comes with the .java files and tries to automatically download the EPUBCheck .java files from Github. It'll automatically display the generic update dialog.
Yes, I remember this change. But usually, when there is a new version (of the plugin, or of epubcheck) it will tell me about it, and (at least for epubcheck) automatically install the new version (this is what happened today, after I manually installed the latest version of the plugin: the first time I ran it, it updated epubcheck). That that didn't happen for the latest version, and I'm wondering why.

Quote:
As for the deleted locale code, you most likely made a mistake when editing the .json file, and if the plugin can't load entries from the .json file because of syntax errors, it'll re-create the .json file from scratch.

If you add a "locale": "fr", entry, make sure to add it a the top after the open curly brace:
Code:
{
  "locale": "fr",
because if you add it at the end, you'll need to add a comma to the last entry and remove the comma after "fr".
I don't have a copy of the old preferences file anymore but I do remember the locale line was the first one. I don't remember changing anything else, but if I did, would that explain why the plugin didn't check for / install the update? (To be clear, this worked before, and I don't remember changing anything else, but it's possible I did and forgot about it. I just would like to understand the cause of the problem to hopefully avoid it in future because it's a bit embarassing to send a file I think is valid to a client and get it returned due to a validation error I missed. )

Thanks all for the help

Last edited by Mister L; 09-19-2023 at 03:52 PM.
Mister L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 07:26 AM   #489
thiago.eec
Wizard
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
If you add a "locale": "fr", entry...
EPUBCheck (the command line tool) treats the 'locale' argument in a curious way (to be honest, looks like a bug to me). First, it already defaults to your system locale, so no need to use the 'locale' argument. But, if you try to explicitly set it to be the same as your system's locale, then English is used instead.

For example: my system locale is 'pt_BR'; if I run it like below, messages will be in English.

Code:
java -jar epubcheck.jar -locale 'pt_BR' book.epub
Now, if I remove the 'locale' argument, then Portuguese is used. If you choose a locale that is different from your system's, then it works as expected (e.g. using 'fr' works just fine, and the messages are presented in French).

Edit: The problem seems to be with the _XX part. Although their official site gives the example just like the above code.

Last edited by thiago.eec; 09-22-2023 at 07:48 AM. Reason: New info
thiago.eec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 02:44 PM   #490
jreckard
jreckard began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelik View Post
Many thanks to KevinH and DiapDealer!

The java was ok (but I checked twice in any case). The first error was indeed the crucial one.

I downloaded and extracted the epubcheck-5.0.0.zip manually and it worked fine!
Sorry to re-use an old request, but I'm getting the same error "epubcheck.jar not found!"
I see the comment "extracted the epubcheck-5.0.0.zip manually" and another reply which mentions "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\sigil-ebook\sigil\plugins\EpubCheck" but I'm failing. I've tried putting the .zip in my \Appdata\etc. folder, I've tried unzipping into an EpubCheck folder I created in that folder ... no joy. If I extract manually, where do I put what?

The error says "epubcheck.jar not found!" and neither can I - it's not in the .zip file.

At the very beginning of this thread is this:
epubcheck-5.0.1.zip is not the Sigil EPUBCheck plugin. You'll need to download this file.

After I download "this file" into my Downloads folder ... then what?

Windows 11 Pro 10.0.22621 ... Sigil 2.0.0 Loaded Qt: 6.5.2

Thanks for any help.
jreckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 03:04 PM   #491
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreckard View Post
At the very beginning of this thread is this:
epubcheck-5.0.1.zip is not the Sigil EPUBCheck plugin. You'll need to download this file.

After I download "this file" into my Downloads folder ... then what?
From the first topic:

Quote:
Plugins > Manage Plugins > click Add Plugin and select epubcheck_v0.4.6.3.zip. This will install the epubcheck plugin, which you can select via Plugins > Validation > epubcheck.
Old 11-21-2023, 09:32 PM   #492
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Hi

It seems I ticked all the boxes but my EPUBcheck plugin still fails at every book with the same error message (see image below).

Code:
[roger@roger-lenovo ~]$ archlinux-java status
Available Java environments:
  java-11-openjdk
  java-21-openjdk
  java-8-jre/jre (default)
[roger@roger-lenovo ~]$ python -V
Python 3.11.6
[roger@roger-lenovo ~]$ java -version
java version "1.8.0_391"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_391-b13)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.391-b13, mixed mode)
Sigil selects automatically /usr/bin/python3 on my Preferences.

In September I had downloaded epubcheck 5.0.1. This time, it seems that I fail to download the update (5.1.0.) probably because of my current location, but nevertheless, the plugin should launch the old version.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	error.png
Views:	144
Size:	242.4 KB
ID:	204848  
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 04:16 AM   #493
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
This time, it seems that I fail to download the update (5.1.0.) probably because of my current location, but nevertheless, the plugin should launch the old version.
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to reproduce the problem, even when I used an external Python 3.12 interpreter.
Based on another recent post, users might get a "Remote end closed connection without response" error message, because of firewall issues.
Unfortunately, the plugin will only check that you can connect to the Internet, and if the update code fails to download the .zip file, the plugin will fail, too.
I'll try to add an error handler for this particular problem in the next plugin version.

In the meantime, please try the following:
  • Edit EpubCheck.json and change the following two values to "false":
    Code:
      "update_check": false,
      "github": false,
  • Then download the latest EPUBCheck version from the Github website and extract it.
  • Go to the EpubCheck plugin folder and replace epubcheck.jar and the lib folder with the Github files.
Old 11-22-2023, 09:06 AM   #494
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
I did everything anew.

Reinstalled the 4.6.3. Sigil plugin with modified json file, managed (one hour +) to download epubcheck 5.1.0 from github and extracted it within the plugin folder.

It works when I launch it on the empty new Sigil epub (image 1) but still fails on any other epub2 or 3 (image 2) with exactly the same error message.

I may have something wrong with python.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.png
Views:	126
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	204851   Click image for larger version

Name:	erreur2.png
Views:	138
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	204852  
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 09:20 AM   #495
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
I did everything anew.

Reinstalled the 4.6.3. Sigil plugin with modified json file, managed (one hour +) to download epubcheck 5.1.0 from github and extracted it within the plugin folder.

It works when I launch it on the empty new Sigil epub (image 1) but still fails on any other epub2 or 3 (image 2) with exactly the same error message.

I may have something wrong with python.
Dump the .json file and let the plugin recreate it and see if that works.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote