Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-19-2022, 11:48 AM   #4831
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Every time I’ve spoken to Alexa this morning, she’s responded by first saying, “Howdy. And good morning.” Make it stop! I’ve never interacted with her on a quote unquote personal level. Why, Jeff, why?

And a minor quibble in the great annoyance, howdy? This is New England! Fingernails on chalkboard stuff.
Funny thing is I'm a native Texan (multi-generation) and have been around over 6 decades now. Yet I've rarely heard the "howdy" greeting. We get blamed for it, but I think it is more Hollywood generated than anything. Probably goes back to the era of popular western movies and TV shows in the 1940s, 1950s, and 1960s. Of course I grew up the Austin area and it tends to be way different from most other parts of the state, but even when I lived in rural areas I rarely heard "howdy".

I haven't heard Alexa say it yet, but she says a lot of stuff which I tend to ignore. Siri has started adding unnecessary conversation after she completes a command. For example, when I ask here to turn off the White Noise feature after I wake up in the mornings, she now says "Okay" after it turns off. I hope the two of them never get to talking to one another though, I would hate to have to throw away a bunch of devices!
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 04:38 PM   #4832
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
LOL! Yep, they pretty much do what they want. I'm pretty sure they think we are their pet humans and that they are in charge. Unfortunately I had to say goodbye to my last little fur ball last week as old age finally took her at age 19. Too quiet around the house now.
I'm sorry for your loss. While 19 is a good long life for a cat, it's not nearly long enough.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2022, 05:06 PM   #4833
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
LOL! Yep, they pretty much do what they want. I'm pretty sure they think we are their pet humans and that they are in charge. Unfortunately I had to say goodbye to my last little fur ball last week as old age finally took her at age 19. Too quiet around the house now.
The cat of my heart also lived to 19. I didn’t want another after her, but perhaps you should consider it? In any case, I get it and I’m sorry.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 01:41 PM   #4834
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
After 2+ weeks, two "delay approvals", and one CS phone call, my $25 4th Gen Dot is finally out for delivery. They tried extremely hard to get me to cancel my order and reorder the $50 version, but I win!

Not sure why they're trying sell the 2020 4th Gen Dots for the same price as the 2022 5th Gen versions in the first place, but ....
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 10:43 PM   #4835
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
I use ambient noise on my Echo when I go to sleep at night. It was taking longer than it should after I said "play ambient noise." It would say "OK, here's ambient noise." Pause and then "welcome to ambient noise. what do you want to listen to?" and then I had to say "play Ocean."

Now Alexa goes into a long list of what it can play in ambient noise. The list seems endless, so I say "stop. Alexa, play Ocean." Then it plays ocean sounds from Amazon Music and not from ambient noise. It would be nice if I could just say play ambient noise ocean. When I just say play ocean, sometimes it recommends that I use ambient noise or some other app. What a waste of time when I'm just settling down to go to sleep.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2022, 12:35 AM   #4836
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlewis78 View Post
I use ambient noise on my Echo when I go to sleep at night. It was taking longer than it should after I said "play ambient noise." It would say "OK, here's ambient noise." Pause and then "welcome to ambient noise. what do you want to listen to?" and then I had to say "play Ocean."

Now Alexa goes into a long list of what it can play in ambient noise. The list seems endless, so I say "stop. Alexa, play Ocean." Then it plays ocean sounds from Amazon Music and not from ambient noise. It would be nice if I could just say play ambient noise ocean. When I just say play ocean, sometimes it recommends that I use ambient noise or some other app. What a waste of time when I'm just settling down to go to sleep.
Create a routine that includes whatever "going to sleep" actions you typically do, like turning out the lights (assuming smart switches or bulbs, of course), giving you tomorrow's weather forecast, and playing Ambient Noise Ocean. Then assign that to a phrase, like "Alexa, Good Night" and you don't have to fight her any more.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 07:25 AM   #4837
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Create a routine that includes whatever "going to sleep" actions you typically do, like turning out the lights (assuming smart switches or bulbs, of course), giving you tomorrow's weather forecast, and playing Ambient Noise Ocean. Then assign that to a phrase, like "Alexa, Good Night" and you don't have to fight her any more.
I'm guessing that the above won't help with what mlewis78 posted. I think mlewis78 is saying there is no direct command to play the ocean ambient noise?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 10:23 AM   #4838
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlewis78 View Post

When I say "Alexa, play ambient noise ocean", my echo plays ocean sounds.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 10:46 AM   #4839
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post

I hope Amazon pays you both well for figuring out and disseminating these workarounds for the stupid breaking changes their developers make!
ApK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 11:31 PM   #4840
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I will try this next.
Old 10-31-2022, 11:32 PM   #4841
mlewis78
Guru

Does anyone know if there is a way to turn off the yellow notification signal when I know I don't want to hear it? I'm OK with hearing about a delivery that was made, but it keeps trying to sell me things. I do not order anything through Alexa.
Old 11-01-2022, 06:51 AM   #4842
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
If you know it's a notification you don't want to hear, just say "Alexa, delete my notifications".

You can also turn off shopping recommendation notifications in the Notifications->Amazon Shopping section of the Alexa settings. I can't remember the last time I was presented with an unsolicited shopping rec.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 03:19 PM   #4843
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Amazon expands free music catalog to 100 million songs

FYI: Amazon just expanded their free, ad free, list of songs for Prime members from 2 million to 100 million songs. That’s a 50x increase! I think they also expanded podcasts to ad free also.

From a Wall Street Journal article:

Quote:
The tech giant is essentially offering its Prime members the full functionality of Spotify’s free tier but without ads. While paid tiers allow users to select any specific song on-demand, free tiers are more limited in that users can only listen by shuffling albums, playlists and artists’ catalogs. Amazon also offers Prime users a few all-access playlists to which they can listen on-demand.

Last edited by OtinG; 11-02-2022 at 03:24 PM.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 03:55 PM   #4844
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
FYI: Amazon just expanded their free, ad free, list of songs for Prime members from 2 million to 100 million songs. That’s a 50x increase! I think they also expanded podcasts to ad free also.

From a Wall Street Journal article:

My kids will like that. For me, asking for a song by name is the only use I have for music on Alexa.
ApK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 09:11 PM   #4845
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I have a premium Spotify account. Shuffling songs doesn't cut it when I want to listen to a particular song or an album in sequential order. Since Spotify does not have the American album versions of my favorite British Invasion bands (Beatles, Kinks, etc), I had to create playlists for those albums. Growing up, I listened to those albums in order. So playing the official British versions doesn't work for me since the next song I'm expecting isn't the one that plays.

Spotify + Alexa = a winning combination.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote