Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-20-2023, 06:27 AM   #466
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
From the first post:

Quote:
...If you are affected by the changes to Kindle downloads and yet don't have a Kindle device, there's now another solution: Kindle for Android.
Maybe an update in the first post saying the tools are working again (at least I think they are)?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 11:36 AM   #467
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Maybe an update in the first post saying the tools are working again (at least I think they are)?
From what I've found, while you can remove the DRM from K4PC/K4Mac, you will get a KFX format ebook and they take quite a bit more work to make look decent than a KF8/azw3 book.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2023, 04:00 PM   #468
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
From what I've found, while you can remove the DRM from K4PC/K4Mac, you will get a KFX format ebook and they take quite a bit more work to make look decent than a KF8/azw3 book.
I'm guessing for me, it wouldn't be anymore work.

At some point in the future, I'll update my tools install, but for now, there isn't anything unique on Amazon that makes me want to update.

Speaking of which, could someone give a link to the tools. P&T.
Old 11-20-2023, 05:46 PM   #469
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Speaking of which, could someone give a link to the tools. P&T.
You can find DeDRM Tools 10.0.9 here
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 07:11 AM   #470
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Thank you.
Advert
Old 11-22-2023, 12:30 PM   #471
Jacques Q.
Connoisseur
Jacques Q. once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Jacques Q. once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Jacques Q. once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Jacques Q. once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Jacques Q. once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Jacques Q. once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Jacques Q. once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Jacques Q. once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Jacques Q. once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Jacques Q. once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Jacques Q. once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: quite a few Kindles...
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverz View Post
If you can't get it to work you can go a slightly different path. I had issues and gave up.

An alternate method is to use another android emulator. I used nox player and described the steps in a general fashion a few pages back. The benefit of it was the nox installation includes the adb command in its installation directory so simpler to get it to work as described.

This is just a suggestion if no one gets back to you with a solution to how you're trying it now.
Thank you very much, I'll go dig for the method you posted and will try it.
Jacques Q. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 07:03 PM   #472
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus, Kindle Oasis 2
Discovered that calibre 7 will not let you add the backup file to DeDRM. You get an error about a temp file already being open in calibre. Going back to calibre 6.29 worked. Afterward I was able to update to calibre 7.1 and still free books from Kindle for Android 4.16.0.75 (BlueStacks).
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 07:36 AM   #473
TEN
TEN began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhile 2015 Gen 7
Harder to make work these days because backup.ab may become too large, or password-protected by recent double-digit Androids (which don't allow skipping encryption by pressing the greyed-out button either anymore).

"The UI for importing backup.ab is a little wonky" by/ever since its original alien author's admission in 2012.

However, a look at the Python source (comments) of the relevant plugin indicates that one doesn't have to try and import that entire (likely huge) archive for just a few lines from it:

The https://github.com/nelenkov/android-backup-extractor prompts for the password, then turns the file retrieved over ADB into a more common, extractable format:
java -jar abe.jar unpack backup.ab backup.tar

The tiny map_data_storage.db or AmazonSecureStorage.xml from that archive should be digestible to the plugin as well, and contain all of the few lines it cares to import.

Calibre at least on Windows itself doesn't seem to have a way of importing .prc files straight from a tablet etc. (maybe due to the way it gets MTP-mounted) with (old enough) Kindle for Android, though on its Device menu it can list them.

However these do not need to be retrieved via ADB (nor then processed via ABE again):

Copying the files folder from Android/data/com.amazon.kindle to somewhere on e.g. C: will allow Calibre to "Add books from folders and sub-folders" in bulk when selecting the local copy of "files" and that "All e-book files in a folder are assumed to be the same book in different formats."
TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 09:10 AM   #474
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEN View Post
Calibre at least on Windows itself doesn't seem to have a way of importing .prc files straight from a tablet etc. (maybe due to the way it gets MTP-mounted) with (old enough) Kindle for Android, though on its Device menu it can list them.

However these do not need to be retrieved via ADB (nor then processed via ABE again):

Copying the files folder from Android/data/com.amazon.kindle to somewhere on e.g. C: will allow Calibre to "Add books from folders and sub-folders" in bulk when selecting the local copy of "files" and that "All e-book files in a folder are assumed to be the same book in different formats."
EDIT:
Ignore the comments below, as they only apply to files downloaded from Amazon for USB transfer to eink Kindles

Quote:
The .prc are usually, but not always, DRM-free old mobi. The azw (without 3) tends to be Amazon DRMed old mobi.

There was some Mobipocket DRM on mobi before Amazon bought Mobipocket in 2005. No Kindles till 2007. I think Amazon used Adobe DRM before 2005.

I've certainly added .prc files using Calibre 1.48 on XP years ago. Sometimes azw files from Amazon have no DRM and you need to rename to .mobi and then they'll work with Calibre.

Publishers can request no DRM, but Amazon ignores this if using KFX, probably putting the generic "any Kindle" KFX DRM thus claiming "unlimited devices".

Last edited by Quoth; 11-29-2023 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Totally irrelevant to Kindle for Android App. Sorry!
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 09:30 AM   #475
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
The .prc are usually, but not always, DRM-free old mobi. The azw (without 3) tends to be Amazon DRMed old mobi.
The Kindle for Android app uses the .prc extension for books downloaded in MOBI or KF8 format with or without DRM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 10:11 AM   #476
TEN
TEN began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhile 2015 Gen 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Those "PRCs" being imported as AZW3 into Calibre are quite certainly quite DRMed KF8s in spite of their (Kindle-for-Android-only) unusual file type extension; otherwise why'd we bother with a backup.ab for key(s)...
TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 04:09 PM   #477
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The Kindle for Android app uses the .prc extension for books downloaded in MOBI or KF8 format with or without DRM.
That's very weird. Why do they do such a broken thing?

I've used Kindle for Android about twice as I have an actual Kindle eink. I didn't know they did such a crazy thing.

Sorry for the irrelevant comments which only apply to using "Download to PC and transfer via USB" to actual eink Kindles.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 06:20 PM   #478
AColobus
Enthusiast
AColobus knows who John Galt is.AColobus knows who John Galt is.AColobus knows who John Galt is.AColobus knows who John Galt is.AColobus knows who John Galt is.AColobus knows who John Galt is.AColobus knows who John Galt is.AColobus knows who John Galt is.AColobus knows who John Galt is.AColobus knows who John Galt is.AColobus knows who John Galt is.

Device: Kobo Touch
So I've got most of the way through this, but when I try to add the ab file, I get an error:

Quote:
calibre, version 7.1.0
ERROR: Cannot open file or folder as it is in use: <p>Could not open the file: "C:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\Temp\tmpjmkff71i". It is already opened in the following programs:<div>The main calibre program: C:\Program Files\Calibre2\calibre.exe

calibre 7.1 embedded-python: True
Windows-10-10.0.19045-SP0 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '10', '10.0.19045')
Python 3.11.5
Windows: ('10', '10.0.19045', 'SP0', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: None
Successfully initialized third party plugins: DeDRM (10, 0, 9) && Obok DeDRM (10, 0, 9)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\Me\AppData\Roaming\calibre\plugins\DeDRM .zip\config.py", line 1424, in get_android_file
File "C:\Users\Me\AppData\Roaming\calibre\plugins\DeDRM .zip\androidkindlekey.py", line 251, in get_serials
PermissionError: [WinError 32] The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process: 'C:\\Users\\Me\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\tmpjmkff71i'
I don't think this has been mentioned in thread (apologies if I've missed it). Any suggestions?
AColobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 08:35 PM   #479
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by AColobus View Post
So I've got most of the way through this, but when I try to add the ab file, I get an error:

I don't think this has been mentioned in thread (apologies if I've missed it). Any suggestions?
It has to do with you using too new calibre version. See this post just a few posts before yours:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
Discovered that calibre 7 will not let you add the backup file to DeDRM. You get an error about a temp file already being open in calibre. Going back to calibre 6.29 worked. Afterward I was able to update to calibre 7.1 and still free books from Kindle for Android 4.16.0.75 (BlueStacks).
The very first post should be updated as soon as ownedbycats sees this.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 03:30 PM   #480
AColobus
Enthusiast
AColobus knows who John Galt is.AColobus knows who John Galt is.AColobus knows who John Galt is.AColobus knows who John Galt is.AColobus knows who John Galt is.AColobus knows who John Galt is.AColobus knows who John Galt is.AColobus knows who John Galt is.AColobus knows who John Galt is.AColobus knows who John Galt is.AColobus knows who John Galt is.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
It has to do with you using too new calibre version. See this post just a few posts before yours:

The very first post should be updated as soon as ownedbycats sees this.
Thank you! Got it working with your help.
AColobus is offline   Reply With Quote