Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 09-06-2022, 04:25 PM   #466
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I was at a complete loss as to what you meant until I went to look at the statusbar settings.

Anyway, long-press it.
Frenzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 05:51 AM   #467
igorius
Zealot
igorius began at the beginning.

Device: ipad & inkpad X
@Frenzie: Now I was lost! But then i tried that long press at settings/status bar/custom text....

Thank you very much!
igorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2022, 06:06 AM   #468
igorius
Zealot

Status-bar bugs: Font size of the bottom status bar is 13, to get the same size for the upper status bar, i have to set the font size there to 28.
Other bug found: The upper status bar disappeared when i opened a new book and i cannot get it to appear again...
Old 09-07-2022, 08:41 AM   #469
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
#invalid, the two bars are separate because... they're separate .

(The top bar is mostly entirely out of our control, it's rendered by CRe, unlike the bottom one).

You can toggle the top bar via the final tab of the bottom menu, IIRC (and, again, long-press to set a default; reading the quickstart guide helps ).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 08:56 AM   #470
igorius
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
#invalid, the two bars are separate because... they're separate .

(The top bar is mostly entirely out of our control, it's rendered by CRe, unlike the bottom one).

You can toggle the top bar via the final tab of the bottom menu, IIRC (and, again, long-press to set a default; reading the quickstart guide helps ).
Äähm, what i want to say that same size of font should be same size everywhere! But here to get a height of say 6mm, i set bottom to font size 13; top bar to 28, which is more than double of size!

Ok, i found the button at the bottom menu, even when i found it only because i had to set the font size of the book. So, normally i would never look at the bottom menu to get the upper status bar set!
And i find it a bit confusing on how things are named... I have set language to german, to be able to understand what things coud eventually mean. My english isnt good enough.
And yes, i have read the manual, but didnt memorize all. Its far too much to get everything at same time (not your problem, i know, but want to explain it)

PS: Whats CRe?
What means #invalid?

Last edited by igorius; 09-07-2022 at 08:58 AM.
Advert
Old 09-24-2022, 07:54 AM   #471
zmix
Connoisseur
zmix began at the beginning.

Device: none
Updated KOReader: Lost files. What did I do wrong?

I updated my Pocketbook Era from KOReader 2022.07 to 2022.08 by replacing (rather than "merging") the app and folders on the device with the app and folders in the download.

Oops.

Lost all of my preferences, and none of my dictionaries are available.

What is the correct way to update?
zmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 09:09 AM   #472
zmix
Connoisseur

Why does the KOReader app appear twice in my PB "USER'S" section?

Why does the KOReader app appear twice in my Pocketbook's "USER'S" section?

It appears as :

@._koreader

and as:

@koreader
Old 09-25-2022, 05:43 PM   #473
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmix View Post
Why does the KOReader app appear twice in my Pocketbook's "USER'S" section?

It appears as :

@._koreader

and as:

@koreader
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=15
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 12:32 PM   #474
ldmobi
Enthusiast
ldmobi began at the beginning.

Is it possible to quickly disable/enable touchscreen (with a gesture, for example) or quickly disable/enable highlighting?

I use my Pocketbook inkpad 3 to read both fiction and non-fiction. My problem is that while I like to highlight non fiction books, I read fiction in bed, and I never highlight it.

So basically I have two scenarios:
1. Highlight enabled
2. touch disabled, no highlights (so that I can hold the reader with a thumb resting on the screen, without triggering highlights or page change)

I switch between the two frequently (I usually read a fiction and a non fiction book at the same time) and going into the menu and disabling/enabling highlighting every time I switch is annoying.

At the moment I'm using the pocketbook own reader to read in bed because the Inkpad 3 default reader can disable the touchscreen with a double click of one of the buttons (you change page only by buttons then).

I can imagine the following solutions:

- One way would be assigning a long press toggle (do nothing/highlight) but at the moment I only see the option to cycle highlight action

- Another would be to implement touchscreen disabling using a button, this would be optimal, because would allow carefree handling of the reader in bed, without fear of accidentally turning pages, which is important, when reading to relax.

- Another could be disable/enable touchscreen inputs with a gesture.

Is there anything I'm missing to solve my problem using the current version?
ldmobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 04:25 PM   #475
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The framework to do both of these things are there, but nobody's bothered to actually tie the two together .
Old 10-23-2022, 08:14 AM   #476
ldmobi
Enthusiast
ldmobi began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
The framework to do both of these things are there, but nobody's bothered to actually tie the two together .

Unfortunately I haven't the skill to do it myself.
Do you think would be useful to open an issue on github as feature request?
ldmobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 01:54 PM   #477
NiLuJe
BLAM!

It'll have a much better chance of not being lost to the sands of time that way, yeah (check first: there might actually already be one).
Old 11-02-2022, 09:25 AM   #478
VladimirS
Connoisseur
VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
If I may, I have question for developers of KOreader,
and from other knowledgeable persons...

Does Koreader software depends on Pocketbook's
firmware, or Koreaders uses resources of underlying hardware
independently of device's firware...

I am asking this because I don't know how
is performance (opening and reading of various ebook formats)
better (faster, more responsive) on Koreader than
on default ebook reading app (default Pocketbook app).

Just turning book pages, up and down. maniplulation with
interface, looking up word in dictionary, opening of
table of contents, opening of bookmarks ...All
action appear more responsive.

I know answer is complex, we needjust some hints if you can give to us

Thank you very mach for your answers and keep a great work
VladimirS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 06:36 AM   #479
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Hopefully the answer is simple:

They behave differently because they're very different programs.

The same things that make KO faster than PB reader in your examples make KO slower than PB in counterexamples, such as changing font face or font size in an epub.

Some more general info:

- KO is always constrained by hardware/firmware.
- Porting KO to a new platform involves porting input (buttons, touchscreen...) and ouput (screen drawing, epd updates) handlers.

- Some platforms, like Kobo or Remarkable expose a very generic interface at the firmware level and everything is implemented into a big blob (a.k.a stock app)

- Other platforms, like Pocketbook or Android, restrict low level access to these interfaces and provide a middleware to interact with.

As a rule of thumb platforms where we have raw access to generic input events & generic framebuffer can be optimized much more than platforms where we deal with middleware.

An extreme example of these differences is in partial refreshes: almost everywhere we can choose the waveform used to refresh the screen and adapt it to our tastes (i.e: increasing speed by loosing some quality if the rectangle we're going to draw is small or its content not so important).

That's not the case on Pocketbooks, where the middle man decides for us.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 09:52 AM   #480
zmix
Connoisseur

Adding to the above response, I've noticed that KOReader 2022.08 is much faster in certain tasks than 2022.07 was, particularly button presses related to highlighting text.

Tags
calibre, epub, koreader, pb742, pdf, pocketbook