Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-07-2022, 01:59 AM   #451
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deobulakenyo View Post
I tried to add pages and word count to books so they will appear in the details tab on my Libra 2, but after connecting to calibre, and updating metadata, still no book pages and word counts are in my books on my device.

I attached screenshots. Please tell me where I did wrong.

Thank you
I configured the Count Pages plugin and ran it on a few books. I then added the program$$ entries to the appropriate areas in the KoboTouch driver (I don't use the KoboTouchExtended driver but it shares that code with the KoboTouch driver so should behave the same). After doing this, I connected, let calibre update the metadata and after safely ejecting, when I looked at the details of a book, it shows the pages, total words and hours to read. See the attached images for more information.

Edit2: One other item I was looking at caused me to have some uncertainty about the way the times are calculated. As near as I can tell, using the mod function would return the remainder of dividing the # of words by 12 (lower) and 10 (higher) which might explain some of the odd times I was seeing. I changed the calculation to program:round($$#words/24000) and program:round($$#words/20000). While not nearly accurate, at least the values don't look like I've been choosing random numbers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pages_and_Word_Count_columns_populated.png
Views:	226
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	193671   Click image for larger version

Name:	KoboTouch_driver_configuration.png
Views:	252
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	193672   Click image for larger version

Name:	custom_metadata.png
Views:	220
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	193674   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_001.png
Views:	269
Size:	292.6 KB
ID:	193676   Click image for larger version

Name:	count_pages_plugin_configuration.png
Views:	205
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	193677   Click image for larger version

Name:	column_configuration.png
Views:	197
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	193678  

Last edited by DNSB; 05-07-2022 at 03:36 AM. Reason: added the connect, update, safely eject sequence. Added chnage in reading time calculation.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 06:09 AM   #452
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I configured the Count Pages plugin and ran it on a few books. I then added the program$$ entries to the appropriate areas in the KoboTouch driver (I don't use the KoboTouchExtended driver but it shares that code with the KoboTouch driver so should behave the same). After doing this, I connected, let calibre update the metadata and after safely ejecting, when I looked at the details of a book, it shows the pages, total words and hours to read. See the attached images for more information.

Edit2: One other item I was looking at caused me to have some uncertainty about the way the times are calculated. As near as I can tell, using the mod function would return the remainder of dividing the # of words by 12 (lower) and 10 (higher) which might explain some of the odd times I was seeing. I changed the calculation to program:round($$#words/24000) and program:round($$#words/20000). While not nearly accurate, at least the values don't look like I've been choosing random numbers.
Thank you for the reply and the screenshots.

To tell you the truth, the customizations in calibre are really difficult for me. I am really not techy and have zero sense of basic programming and coding.

Everything is Chinese to me at first. Since I am more a visual learner, and I can't find youtube videos on setting up some settings, it is really a grasp in the dark for me.

Going back to my problem, I followed your examples except the READABILITY OPTIONS and the Flesch Reading Ease and the Flesh Kincaid Grade and Gunning Fog Index, which I have no idea what they are for. Are they necessary for the goal i intend to have (having the word and page counts)?

Also, do i need to create custom columns as well for the reading estimates for the lower and upper templates OR do I just need to input the:

program:round($$#words/24000) in the lower template
program:round($$#words/20000) in the upper template

Thank you very much!

Edit: Word count and page counts now appear on my device. Reading estimates are still missing.

Last edited by Deobulakenyo; 05-07-2022 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Posted that page and word counts now appear
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2022, 10:21 AM   #453
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Going back to my problem, I followed your examples except the READABILITY OPTIONS and the Flesch Reading Ease and the Flesh Kincaid Grade and Gunning Fog Index, which I have no idea what they are for. Are they necessary for the goal i intend to have (having the word and page counts)?
They are not necessary.

Quote:
Also, do i need to create custom columns as well for the reading estimates for the lower and upper templates OR do I just need to input the:

program:round($$#words/24000) in the lower template
program:round($$#words/20000) in the upper template
You just need to input the templates into the lower and upper template. The reading estimates are calculated from the word count column.

Quote:
Thank you very much!

Edit: Word count and page counts now appear on my device. Reading estimates are still missing.
You're welcome.

Davidfor would be the better person to ask about this but I would try adding a new book to calibre, running Count Pages and then sending it to your reader to see what shows up in it's details after the second connect.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 10:42 AM   #454
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post

You just need to input the templates into the lower and upper template. The reading estimates are calculated from the word count column.

Again, thanks to your screenshot, page counts and word counts are now displayed on my libra 2.

I used your template exactly as is but no matter what i do, the reading estimates do not appear on my device.

To make sure i am doing it right i even used the kobo touch (NOT EXTENDED) plugin to input the templates just to follow your example but still fails. I also tried the kobo extended driver and fails again.

What i don't understand is the upper trmplates on word and page counts work but the estimates fail even though thry are in the same plugin settings.

I will try your suggestion on a new book.

Thanks again.
Old 05-07-2022, 12:15 PM   #455
Svens
Enthusiast
Svens began at the beginning.

Device: Кіndlе5,NGL,PB650, KPW3,KPW4,KPW5, Kobo Aura One
Friends,

So far, I have introduced the following templates into the settings of Kobo Touch extended, for book stats:

For LOWER program:round(($$#words / 12000) -1)
For UPPER program: round($$#words / 12000)

And everything works beautifully - on the second Calibre connection, the statistics are displayed for each book (for me they are just kepub).

However, I want to add a bit of extra logic. Since reading time doesn't affect books containing less than 6000 words, the smallest time in that case becomes a negative integer
and, as a result, reading time is not displayed.
So, my question is if such logic can be introduced: if the words are below 6000 - then minimum time to be 0 hours, and maximum time to be 1 hour. If the words are more than or equal to 6000, the above calculations to be applied.
I.e. something like this:

For LOWER program: if ($$#words > 6000) then round($$#words / 12000 -1) else 0 fi
For UPPER program: if ($$#words > 6000) then round($$#words / 12000) else 1 fi

I've tried it, but it seems like there's something i'm not doing quite right. I will be happy if someone helps.

Thanks!

Last edited by Svens; 05-08-2022 at 03:26 AM.
Svens is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2022, 12:31 PM   #456
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Can we maybe move the talk of the word count plugin to another thread. It makes finding it harder in the future and (though there’s not much now) gets in the way of talking about the firmware.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 08:57 PM   #457
Deobulakenyo
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svens View Post
Friends,

So far, I have introduced the following templates into the settings of Kobo Touch extended, for book stats:

For LOWER program: round($$#words / 12000) -1)

Thanks!

Is the spacing/spaces important in the template? I noticed you have a space before 'round' and before and after the diagonal slash.

I asked because i can't make the reading estimates appear no matter what i do.

Edit: works now. But is it normal that the reading estimates display "0-12 hours" for a book that has 141,000 words? I was thinking it should be "11-12 hours"

Last edited by Deobulakenyo; 05-07-2022 at 09:34 PM.
Old 05-07-2022, 09:08 PM   #458
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
i can't make the reading estimates appear no matter what i do.
Note that to make it work you have to have calibre 5.42 and kobo firmware 4.32 (at least, that's the newest versions as of this post), and you have to have the metadata syncing options set right.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 09:23 PM   #459
Deobulakenyo
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
Note that to make it work you have to have calibre 5.42 and kobo firmware 4.32 (at least, that's the newest versions as of this post), and you have to have the metadata syncing options set right.
Yes, all conditions you mentioned were met.

In fact Sven's template already worked but when i change the values using DNSB's it goes back to not working

Edit: works now after rebooting the device

Last edited by Deobulakenyo; 05-07-2022 at 09:30 PM.
Old 05-07-2022, 10:41 PM   #460
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
[QUOTE=Deobulakenyo;4220064]Yes, all conditions you mentioned were met.[QUOTE]

Forgot another one. All the final values have to be type integer (and I guess positive) or they get ignored.

Quote:
Edit: works now after rebooting the device
ooh, bad sign, could be database issues. Maybe it was read only until you rebooted. See earlier in this thread and the 4.31 thread for that saga.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 06:09 AM   #461
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svens View Post
Friends,

For LOWER program: round($$#words / 12000) -1)

And everything works beautifully - on the second Calibre connection, the statistics are displayed for each book (for me they are just kepub).

However, I want to add a bit of extra logic. Since reading time doesn't affect books containing less than 6000 words, the smallest time in that case becomes a negative integer
and, as a result, reading time is not displayed.
So, my question is if such logic can be introduced: if the words are below 6000 - then minimum time to be 0 hours, and maximum time to be 1 hour. If the words are more than or equal to 6000, the above calculations to be applied.
I.e. something like this:

For LOWER program: if ($$#words > 6000) then round($$#words / 12000) -1) else 0 fi
For UPPER program: if ($$#words > 6000) then round($$#words / 12000) else 1 fi

I've tried it, but it seems like there's something i'm not doing quite right. I will be happy if someone helps.
The point of using a template is that you can add code. My examples were just that, examples. Simple things that I used to test. I understand enough about the calibre templates, that I didn't need to do more.

As to what is wrong, you need to tell us. There is an error the template for the Lower estimate, but, I don't know if that is the actual issue or not. This has an extra parenthesis in it. If you used the Template editor it would show an error and try to tell you where it is. But, the correct template should be:

Code:
if ($$#words > 6000) then round($$#words / 12000) - 1 else 0 fi
Looking at these, I don't know what you are trying to do. The value for the estimates is supposed to be minutes. Which the device displays a hours. I am pretty sure that zero and one will be displayed as zero by the device or not display anything.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 07:04 AM   #462
Deobulakenyo
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The point of using a template is that you can add code. My examples were just that, examples. Simple things that I used to test. I understand enough about the calibre templates, that I didn't need to do more.

As to what is wrong, you need to tell us. There is an error the template for the Lower estimate, but, I don't know if that is the actual issue or not. This has an extra parenthesis in it. If you used the Template editor it would show an error and try to tell you where it is. But, the correct template should be:

Code:
Looking at these, I don't know what you are trying to do. The value for the estimates is supposed to be minutes. Which the device displays a hours. I am pretty sure that zero and one will be displayed as zero by the device or not display anything.
Everything is fine now.

If i use Steven's template, the estimates always start at 0 to whatever figure the words divided by 12000 is.

So i used 12000 for lower estimate 9000 for upper estimate and i get decent numbers now. When the words are less than 9000 i get an estimate of 0 to 1 hour reading.

Thank you to everyone that helped.
Old 05-08-2022, 10:19 AM   #463
Svens
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post

Code:
I took 7 screenshots.
On the first 3,i'm using the following templates:
program: round($$#words / 12000 - 1)
program: round($$#words / 12000)
The results for reading time on those 3 screenshots are correct. They match the data on the sites and are realistic.

On the next 4 screenshots,i'm using the following templates:
program:if ($$#words > 6000) then round(($$#words / 12000) - 1) else 0 fi
program: if ($$#words > 6000) then round($$#words / 12000) else 1 fi
Here, the results are very contradictory - some are OK, others are totally wrong. And I can't understand why.

By the way, the values of the estimates sent to Kobo are in hours, not minutes. Judging by all the screenshots and results, the data being sent to Kobo, is directly in hours. That's why in the templates, i'm experimenting with 1 and 0.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	166
Size:	237.4 KB
ID:	193726   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_002.png
Views:	144
Size:	262.8 KB
ID:	193727   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_003.png
Views:	142
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	193728   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_004.png
Views:	136
Size:	249.1 KB
ID:	193729   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_005.png
Views:	133
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	193730   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_006.png
Views:	125
Size:	268.9 KB
ID:	193731   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_007.png
Views:	127
Size:	267.9 KB
ID:	193732  

Last edited by Svens; 05-09-2022 at 03:28 AM.
Old 05-08-2022, 10:34 AM   #464
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
@Svens

Would recommend replacing the Avenir system font with another version (you can take it from Nook). It does not support Cyrillic, so Japanese fonts are used to display the authors. And it looks disgusting.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 11:49 AM   #465
Svens
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
@Svens

Would recommend replacing the Avenir system font with another version (you can take it from Nook). It does not support Cyrillic, so Japanese fonts are used to display the authors. And it looks disgusting.
This is a very good idea, but I'm not sure I'll succeed. It will probably be under Linux, and Linux is not my strength.

Edit:
With the help of Semwize I replaced the Avenir system font and now everything is much better.
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	attachment.png
Views:	174
Size:	236.8 KB
ID:	193737   Click image for larger version

Views:	166
Size:	235.1 KB
ID:	193738  

Last edited by Svens; 05-09-2022 at 07:15 AM.

Tags
firmware, firmware release