Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 01-25-2009, 09:27 AM   #451
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
naked archaeologist ??? i would think that of all the jobs you can do, that one would be high on the list of the ones you'd rather be wearing protective clothing for !! sheesh, i don't even want to think about the sunburns that guy must get... why on earth is he out digging around naked ? (is he ???)
Don't worry, he's neither naked nor an archaeologist (hence the problem).

Here's a wonderful example of how an archaeologist should dress though:

Yes I know white is a bad idea when playing in the dirt, but it doesn't matter when you don't care if it's dirty, and even better when it is 45 degrees C outside and even better when you got the pants for 5 euro.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:30 AM   #452
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Don't worry, he's neither naked nor an archaeologist (hence the problem).
hm. i believe i'm actually more confused than before. time to do some googling perhaps.
Quote:
Here's a wonderful example of how an archaeologist should dress though:

Yes I know white is a bad idea when playing in the dirt, but it doesn't matter when you don't care if it's dirty, and even better when it is 45 degrees C outside and even better when you got the pants for 5 euro.
can i infer that is a photo of you ? are you an archaeologist ? it seems you know a lot about those pants, if it's not you...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2009, 09:48 AM   #453
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
hm. i believe i'm actually more confused than before. time to do some googling perhaps.

can i infer that is a photo of you ? are you an archaeologist ? it seems you know a lot about those pants, if it's not you...
That is yours truly, but I don't think I can call myself an archaeologist. I have a degree in Classics with an archaeology minor, and went on that dig, but it's not my career (unfortunately).

But as it is, I'm more qualified than that guy. He was involved in that whole lost tomb of Jesus thing (hilarious, since they came up with that well after the James ossuary was proven fake, not to mention their "Mariamenou" ossuary, where they base their "statistics" from, any person who has a basic knowledge of ancient Greek could tell you they are full of crap).

Grrr super hate that guy, commercial back on. Everything is "controversial new theory."
Old 01-25-2009, 07:44 PM   #454
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
[Shh, just quietly Am...the sitting down thing, it's purely psychological. One sip of a ZC and you're swimming in gravitational anolom....amonolie..ananomol...you're so totally spaced, that sitting "down" is like trying to get a fish to count its legs.]

Cheers,
Marc
I find that most disturbing experiences are better for being in a nice, comfy chair - it's harder to fall over when floating up if you're sitting down to start off with. And you have to agree that some people do find their first ZC a little on the disturbing side...
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 07:47 PM   #455
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Also, there was a commercial for the Naked Archaeologist. Everyone promise me you won't watch him, please? I really don't like that guy.
Just googled it - does he have the same effect on archaeologists as Tony Robinson does?
Advert
Old 01-25-2009, 08:13 PM   #456
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
Just googled it - does he have the same effect on archaeologists as Tony Robinson does?
I had to google him I see that he did some Da Vinci code bashing, I'm cool with that.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:35 PM   #457
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD

Quote:
I had to google him I see that he did some Da Vinci code bashing, I'm cool with that.
He used to be better known for playing Baldrick in Black Adder...

To be fair, the Time Team programme has generated a lot more interest in archaeology, which is good.

The couple of Time Team Drinking games that popped up in a quick google do show the show's more predictable aspects, though:
First version
Second version
Old 01-25-2009, 08:41 PM   #458
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
He used to be better known for playing Baldrick in Black Adder...

To be fair, the Time Team programme has generated a lot more interest in archaeology, which is good.

The couple of Time Team Drinking games that popped up in a quick google do show the show's more predictable aspects, though:
First version
Second version
As most archaeologists (at least on site) are complete alcoholics, this is a spectacular game.

What on earth is this show about?
Old 01-25-2009, 08:43 PM   #459
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Now, aren't y'all glad I resurrected this old thread?
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:47 PM   #460
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Now, aren't y'all glad I resurrected this old thread?
Yes, but the more important thing is...what the heck is with your avatar?
Old 01-25-2009, 08:48 PM   #461
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD

Time Team? It's sort of speed-archaeology, if you like. They have a certain amount of time (a few days, I seem to recall) to dig up a site and find out what's there, before they have to cover it all back up again. In one instance I know it was because someone (not sure now if it was the council, the site owner, Time Team, or another interested party) wanted to find out if there was anything of interest left of one of the most important monasteries in the UK during the middle ages before work was started on building flats and a hotel on top of a carpark that was on top of some of the site.

Of course, the best time to have done that would have been before they buried most of it under a sodding great supermarket, buried the rest under tarmac, and preserved what was left of the main building under a road flyover. But the supermarket chain in question, who own the land, put commerce over history for some reason.

And Time Team didn't find anything of interest there.

The site in question is about 10 minutes walk away from where I live, and... um, I'll stop there, cos otherwise I'll ramble on all night about it...

However, when we bought our house we were told it was possible that some-one might want to dig up our garden looking for Roman remains - there used to be a large settlement in the area.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:55 PM   #462
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Time Team? It's sort of speed-archaeology, if you like. They have a certain amount of time (a few days, I seem to recall) to dig up a site and find out what's there, before they have to cover it all back up again. In one instance I know it was because someone (not sure now if it was the council, the site owner, Time Team, or another interested party) wanted to find out if there was anything of interest left of one of the most important monasteries in the UK during the middle ages before work was started on building flats and a hotel on top of a carpark that was on top of some of the site.

Of course, the best time to have done that would have been before they buried most of it under a sodding great supermarket, buried the rest under tarmac, and preserved what was left of the main building under a road flyover. But the supermarket chain in question, who own the land, put commerce over history for some reason.

And Time Team didn't find anything of interest there.

The site in question is about 10 minutes walk away from where I live, and... um, I'll stop there, cos otherwise I'll ramble on all night about it...

However, when we bought our house we were told it was possible that some-one might want to dig up our garden looking for Roman remains - there used to be a large settlement in the area.
I think I just died a little inside.

I can dig up your yard though I promise I won't do too much damage to the garden. I specialize in Romans

I am very tempted to post a picture of Tacitus, a friend I made at the dig. He was a Roman. But maybe people will get mad? I don't know why skulls freak everyone out...
Old 01-25-2009, 09:00 PM   #463
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Yes, but the more important thing is...what the heck is with your avatar?
It's sort of a prototype of Neko's avatar/karma project.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:04 PM   #464
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD

Quote:
I think I just died a little inside.

I can dig up your yard though I promise I won't do too much damage to the garden. I specialize in Romans
Feel free! The state the garden's in at the moment, digging it would improve it...

A really short history of the area: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitcham#History

Quote:
I am very tempted to post a picture of Tacitus, a friend I made at the dig. He was a Roman. But maybe people will get mad? I don't know why skulls freak everyone out...
I'm not too fussed by skulls now, although I used to be a bit when I was younger.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:12 PM   #465
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I have friends in Caerleon (once the home of the second Augustan legion) and people are still finding Roman items when they dig their gardens.
Local universities regularly organise digs for the archaeology students.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clouds of enlightenment, unutterable silliness