Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 10-16-2020, 12:05 PM   #451
andpen
andpen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite IV
Question

Good morning.
After updating Calibre to version 5.x and Your plugin to version 0.1.3, I noticed that for my language (Polish language) words are hyphenated incorrectly.

Let me give you an example:
Your plug - "sze-śćdzie-si-ątych"
Calibre - "sześć-dzie-sią-tych".

Can it be fixed?
andpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 10:28 AM   #452
fazzio349
fazzio349 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
@fazzio349: Try this: Convert hyphenated epub to "dual" / "combo" / "master" mobi file (= what you get when you set mobi type to "both" in Mobi output settings in Calibre's Convert window) using Calibre and send/e-mail that mobi file to your Kindle address (send it to Amazon servers).

Last time I've checked (and that was when Hyphenate This plugin was just released) that worked and you would get hyphenated azw3 delivered to your Kindle.

Thanks. I've tried converting using the "old" "both" and "new" mobi formats. It does hyphenate when I use both or new, but I get an error on my Kindle when I try to open the document.
fazzio349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2020, 11:02 AM   #453
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@andpen: The plugin will hyphenate words according to Polish rules if two conditions are met:
- The e-book will be set to Polish language in the metadata
- A dictionary file with Polish hyphenation rules (hyph_pl_PL.dic) will be visible in the plugin settings.
BeckyEbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 06:10 AM   #454
andpen
andpen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite IV
Exactly. Both conditions are met. Bad splitting started after upgrading CALIBER and HYPHERNATE THIS!. I didn't change any settings.
andpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 01:17 PM   #455
Vroo
Zealot
Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of Kindles, PocketBook HD3/InkpadX, inkBOOK, Kobo
I have to confirm the bug reported by @andpen. Hyphenation using hyph_pl_PL.dic does not work correctly anymore. It seems that some rules are rendered wrongly.

In the meantime, hyphenation using "Polish book" works OK (and I checked that the same dictionary was used).
Vroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2020, 03:08 PM   #456
Vroo
Zealot
Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of Kindles, PocketBook HD3/InkpadX, inkBOOK, Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroo View Post
I have to confirm the bug reported by @andpen. Hyphenation using hyph_pl_PL.dic does not work correctly anymore. It seems that some rules are rendered wrongly.

In the meantime, hyphenation using "Polish book" works OK (and I checked that the same dictionary was used).
Case solved: the problem was that in the dictionary file hyph_pl_PL.dic an old encoding was used: ISO8859-2. After converting to UTF-8 everything works fine.

Here's the updated file:
http://swiatczytnikow.pl/downloads/hyph_pl_pl.dic

I also described this issue in more detail:
https://swiatczytnikow.pl/masz-probl...yphenate-this/ (in Polish)

Last edited by Vroo; 12-15-2020 at 06:19 PM.
Vroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 06:11 PM   #457
dunhill
Guru
dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: moon+ reader, kindle paperwhite
At the request of some friends I have translated the complement into Spanish. I hope it can be incorporated into the next update if they deem it convenient. I leave the file
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.png
Views:	237
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	185705  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Hyphenate this en español.zip (39.2 KB, 201 views)
dunhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 12:06 AM   #458
lordtrips
lordtrips began at the beginning.

Device: paperwhite B204
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunhill View Post
At the request of some friends I have translated the complement into Spanish. I hope it can be incorporated into the next update if they deem it convenient. I leave the file
vaya... que buena noticia... mis felicitaciones y gracias.
lordtrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 01:34 AM   #459
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordtrips View Post
vaya... que buena noticia... mis felicitaciones y gracias.
I had to translate that because my first reaction to @dunhill's statement was, "With friends like that, who needs enemies."

I am sure it is just that they know how much fun he has translating things that they are making sure he has lots to do.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 04:08 AM   #460
dunhill
Guru
dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: moon+ reader, kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I had to translate that because my first reaction to @dunhill's statement was, "With friends like that, who needs enemies."

I am sure it is just that they know how much fun he has translating things that they are making sure he has lots to do.
You are very right.
dunhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 08:27 AM   #461
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
You are very right.
I won't ask which statement...
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 12:17 AM   #462
jtbayly
jtbayly began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Can this be used on the command line now?

I saw this was asked a couple of times through the years, but now that this has been updated, I'm wondering what the status is. I'd love to use this in an automated workflow (ie from the command line). Is it possible?
jtbayly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 08:29 AM   #463
guitu
guitu began at the beginning.

Hello everybody,
I've been using this plugin for a long time, but with the Kindle firmware updates (I use the kindle oasis 9) now it doesn't add the hyphen to separate words. I tried to install an older firmware, but it does not let me go back in time ¬¬. Even using the old version of the Caliber it is not possible, the syllabic separation does not work.
Now I have the Caliber version installed -> 5.13 and the Kindle firmware -> 5.13.6 and the "Hyphenate This!" plugin it does nothing at all, you can do a test, convert an epub into ".azw3" and view the ebook, then run the "Hyphenate This!" plugin and go back to look at the ".azw3" There is NO syllabic separation, there are the same blank spaces in the pages, the plugin does NOT work anymore.
Caliber may try to erase blank spaces or it may be the Kindle firmware, yet formatting is not as efficient as in previous firmware versions.

My opinion is that I believe that the creator of Caliber @kovidgoyal has tried to add this feature to the program, but it has not done well because we cannot add hyphens to eliminate white spaces. Or maybe it was done by Amazon, the fact is that "Hyphenate This!" it no longer works.

Anyway, if anyone knows how to continue using this plugin, I would be very grateful, because blank spaces bother me a lot when I read.

Greetings
guitu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 09:20 AM   #464
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitu View Post
Anyway, if anyone knows how to continue using this plugin, I would be very grateful, because blank spaces bother me a lot when I read.
I tried this plugin just now on this English language book using calibre 5.23.0 and it worked for me. I was able to add soft hyphens to a book in AZW3 format, sideload it onto my Kindle Oasis running firmware 5.13.6 and see the expected hyphenation.

Perhaps you could try the same book and see if it works for you. If not you should check for any errors in the job log. If none you could post the resulting AZW3 file and so that someone can check it for the presence of soft hyphen characters.

I also tried the "Add soft hyphens" function of the built-in Polish Books feature of calibre and that worked too. You could try that as an alternative to using this plugin and see if it works instead for you.

Another possibility is to convert to KFX format using my KFX Output plugin. That does hyphenation automatically as part of Amazon's Enhanced Typesetting.

Added: If you are really running calibre 5.13 and that wasn't a typo then I suggest you update.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2021_07_09T09_10_02-0400.png
Views:	184
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	188100  

Last edited by jhowell; 07-09-2021 at 09:29 AM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 02:36 PM   #465
guitu
guitu began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I tried this plugin just now on this English language book using calibre 5.23.0 and it worked for me. I was able to add soft hyphens to a book in AZW3 format, sideload it onto my Kindle Oasis running firmware 5.13.6 and see the expected hyphenation.

Perhaps you could try the same book and see if it works for you. If not you should check for any errors in the job log. If none you could post the resulting AZW3 file and so that someone can check it for the presence of soft hyphen characters.

I also tried the "Add soft hyphens" function of the built-in Polish Books feature of calibre and that worked too. You could try that as an alternative to using this plugin and see if it works instead for you.

Another possibility is to convert to KFX format using my KFX Output plugin. That does hyphenation automatically as part of Amazon's Enhanced Typesetting.

Added: If you are really running calibre 5.13 and that wasn't a typo then I suggest you update.

Thank you very much for your answer, I will do the test.
Greetings
guitu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon account, formatting, hypenation, hyphenate this, hyphenation, spaces