Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-19-2016, 11:28 PM   #451
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
I like to think that Kobo has a little more integrity than to use BS marketing like Amazon did on that one. They really had NO CHOICE but to bump it to 10 LED's since they were covering a wider area (the height of the screen, not just the thinner width). If they bumped it from 5 to 10 across the bottom then they might have something legit to claim.
So how come Kobo can get a nice even light on a bigger 6.8" screen with less LEDs than Amazon can on a 6" screen with 10 LEDs?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 11:37 PM   #452
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So how come Kobo can get a nice even light on a bigger 6.8" screen with less LEDs than Amazon can on a 6" screen with 10 LEDs?
Because their lighting tech is so much better . And the width of the H2O is still a lot less than the height of the Oasis, so even Kobo would have to add LED's to go side lit. Adding them is not some great advancement to help the reader, it's what they technically have to do because of a different design.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2016, 12:18 AM   #453
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But Kobo's LEDs are at the bottom. No need to side light. Amazon could have done the same thing. But instead Amazon gives you light cones.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 12:39 AM   #454
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
https://us.kobobooks.com/products/kobo-aura-one

I know what I am getting myself for Christmas

One Request!! For those getting this early PLEASE start a New thread with all the pros & cons!!! THANKS!!

Last edited by Barbara1955; 08-20-2016 at 12:45 AM.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 01:02 AM   #455
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But Kobo's LEDs are at the bottom. No need to side light. Amazon could have done the same thing. But instead Amazon gives you light cones.
I can think of a few reasons to put the LEDs on the side. One is that putting them there they have a shorter distance across the screen to light. That means it would probably be easier to make the light even across the screen. But, extra LEDs are needed to keep the light even along the long side of the screen.

And as they made the widest part of the bezel on the side, is is probably easier to fit them there. Plus this is also the thickest part of the bezel, so again easier to fit.

But, I think the real reason is it makes it easier for flipping the screen over. If they were at the bottom, when the screen was rotated, the lights would be at the top. From comments here, I think the lights at the top would be more visible when reading. Having them on the side means they will be equally visible, or invisible, whichever way the device is help.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2016, 04:14 AM   #456
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
[...] using a non-glass substrate means the device is more robust. That is something they can use as a selling point [...]
I think this is the most compelling argument I've heard so far. Thanks.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 12:07 PM   #457
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
https://us.kobobooks.com/products/kobo-aura-one

I know what I am getting myself for Christmas

One Request!! For those getting this early PLEASE start a New thread with all the pros & cons!!! THANKS!!
I'm sure there will be a sticky created to keep all threads consolidated. I'm curious as to actual release date I've seen September and October thrown around.

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 12:16 PM   #458
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleejr View Post
I'm sure there will be a sticky created to keep all threads consolidated. I'm curious as to actual release date I've seen September and October thrown around.

JJ
I don't see a stickie for this but the threads can be consolidated.
Our lovable mouse has already done that one for this device.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 12:20 PM   #459
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Since the official press release says Sept 6, I'm betting it's going to be Sept 6 in most countries
Old 08-20-2016, 04:02 PM   #460
barsanuphe
Connoisseur
barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: PW2, Kobo H20, Kobo Aura One
In France, FNAC mentions availability Sept 1st.

http://www.fnac.com/Liseuse-numeriqu...e/a9880586/w-4
barsanuphe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 05:08 PM   #461
robko
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by barsanuphe View Post
In France, FNAC mentions availability Sept 1st.

http://www.fnac.com/Liseuse-numeriqu...e/a9880586/w-4
Maybe they managed to get a deal for an early release, but I'm guessing that's an error on their website. Everywhere else says Sept 6. I almost wonder if they delayed their originally planned launch until after the next Windows update so get past the Win 10 anniversary update USB connect problem.
Old 08-20-2016, 06:09 PM   #462
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Good argument, but there is a simpler one: Kobo didn't tell us it was not glass.

With the known fragility of the glass substrate, this would be a selling point and they would have mentioned it.

with the broken glass substrate that happened to some owners of the Aura HD and H2O, you would obviously expect common sense to prevail and for Kobo to stay well clear of using a glass substrate on any new Ereader especially the larger devices like the Kobo Aura One.

best wishes koboy

Last edited by koboy; 08-20-2016 at 08:51 PM.
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 06:50 PM   #463
tnforpaul45
Zealot
tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle DX
Getting there

[Image violates Posting Guidelines for siz - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 08-22-2016 at 04:56 PM.
tnforpaul45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 09:27 PM   #464
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
It was posted in a thread. The press release state has:

Quote:
Kobo Aura ONE makes its debut with a singular goal—to offer a reading experience like no other. It will be available in soft black and will retail for $249.99 CAD (MSRP) in Canada exclusively at www.kobo.com and with Indigo in-store and online at www.indigo.ca from August 30 to September 29 (pre-order from August 30 to September 5; September 6 in-store availability); the device will be available at Best Buy beginning September 30; and as of September 6 in the US, the UK, Italy, France, the Netherlands, Germany, Spain, Belgium, Japan, and Turkey; October/November in Australia, New Zealand and Mexico; and March 2017 in Brazil.
So I'm going to have to listen to all to the "ooh's and aahh's" and complaints for a least a month before there's a chance I'll see one.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 09:32 PM   #465
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2
Quote:
So I'm going to have to listen to all to the "ooh's and aahh's" and complaints for a least a month before there's a chance I'll see one.
I'll send you pictures of mine. Frolicking.
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote