Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-04-2022, 02:55 PM   #436
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
I was wondering if any of you have experimented with the hour estimate part of the new reading stats on Calibre, to see if we can get something at least close to those of the Kobo store?
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 03:47 PM   #437
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathil View Post
I was wondering if any of you have experimented with the hour estimate part of the new reading stats on Calibre, to see if we can get something at least close to those of the Kobo store?
Take a look here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=377
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2022, 09:20 PM   #438
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
^Wait calibre can also add the reading time on ebooks in addition to word and page count?
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 09:47 PM   #439
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deobulakenyo View Post
^Wait calibre can also add the reading time on ebooks in addition to word and page count?
Yes, that is what I described in my original post about this. A post that I can see you actually quoted, so you should already know that.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 11:00 PM   #440
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Yes, that is what I described in my original post about this. A post that I can see you actually quoted, so you should already know that.
I might have misread your post.

I thought word and page counts work while the time of read estimates are problematic

I need to study how to enable that.

Does the reading estmaites require new columns also?

Last edited by Deobulakenyo; 05-04-2022 at 11:28 PM.
Advert
Old 05-04-2022, 11:08 PM   #441
Deobulakenyo
Guru

Deleted. Double post
Old 05-04-2022, 11:45 PM   #442
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I thought word and page counts work while the time of read estimates are problematic.
Problematic is a kind word. Basically, Kobo's reading times and those produced for calibre are, for me, totally useless. One recent example is that I read 53% of a book in 42 minutes and it will take me 2.8 hours to finish the remaining 47%.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 11:55 PM   #443
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Problematic is a kind word. Basically, Kobo's reading times and those produced for calibre are, for me, totally useless. One recent example is that I read 53% of a book in 42 minutes and it will take me 2.8 hours to finish the remaining 47%.
Sometimes the time can get glitched too. No, I don't read entire chapters in 11 seconds.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 12:59 AM   #444
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I might have misread your post.

I thought word and page counts work while the time of read estimates are problematic
I have no idea where that would have come from. The reading estimates have to be calculated by you somehow. Though I suppose getting a sensible or useful value could be considered to be problematic.

Or are you referring to the estimates shown when reading? If so, this has absolutely nothing to do with those. As I originally stated, for purchased books, these estimates are the same as on the Kobo web site. They are just a guestimate they are showing based on reading rates someone has come up with for them. The time remaining estimate when reading is calculated while you are reading and does not use these numbers. I don't know how it is calculate, but, I believe it is affected by how fast you actually read. The accuracy has been discussed (with some amusement at time), but, I've never really tried to check it for myself.
Quote:
I need to study how to enable that.

Does the reading estmaites require new columns also?
Only if you need to store it in your library. This is why a template is used. The value can be calculated from other columns that you have. The obvious thing to do is to divide the word count by the number of words you read per minute. That was the intention of my example, but I don't know what my reading rate is so I plucked two numbers out of the air (Well, I used 10 because the division easy and 12 made because it gave enough of a difference in the values created). If you have another source for the reading estimates, you may need to store them as a column. Or you might use a completely different calculation. The Count Pages plugin can calculate some readability numbers for a book. I suppose they could be used to weight the reading speed somehow (but I have absolutely no idea how).

Or you could use the estimates for something completely different. Just remember that Kobo considers the numbers to be minutes and will display them as hours. I suppose you could use it for a rating from 1 to 10, but, you would need to send numbers between 60 and 600.

And for the record, there is also a column in the database called "Duration". Kobo uses that for the duration of an audiobook. I decided not to add this to the driver as the sideloading for audiobooks isn't good enough to make it worthwhile at this point. And the fact that I was going to end up with seven (KoboTouch) or eight (KoboTouchExtended) different templates in the driver configuration made me not want to do it. I will revisit this if there is demand.

And for those who opened the driver config and counted, I'm talking about the next release. See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=346321 for details.
Old 05-05-2022, 01:09 AM   #445
vanishingeagle
vanishingeagle began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
So far this update has been just fine on the Libra 2. I was one of those people who downgraded to 4.30 after issues with 4.31. I tested USB/ejecting and reading and all seems well. Updated from WIFI device info is showing 4.32.

I don't do anything besides sideload Kepubs though, so it is stock.
vanishingeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 06:48 AM   #446
Lykke
Groupie
Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Not automatically, no*. You need to run the Count Pages plugin on the book so it'll fill those columns, then next time you connect it will upload those to your Kobo.

I suggest using Preferences > toolbars & menus to add Count Pages to your context menu. You can run it on multiple books at the same time.

*One exception: If you use the FanFicFare plugin, there's an option to automatically run Count Pages on downloaded fanfics.
After having run the plugin, is there something to be done so the metadata in KePubs already uploaded to the Kobo will update automatically? To me this process worked on one book only. I tried the 'Update metadata in device library' from KoboUtilities but it seems there's no option for page and word count.
Lykke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 07:28 AM   #447
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lykke View Post
After having run the plugin, is there something to be done so the metadata in KePubs already uploaded to the Kobo will update automatically? To me this process worked on one book only. I tried the 'Update metadata in device library' from KoboUtilities but it seems there's no option for page and word count.
The driver should be doing the updates for all books on the device that match with books in the library when the device is connected. If that isn't happening, it is probably configuration. On the "Sending books to devices" page of the preferences, the "Metadata management" option needs to be set to the automatic option. If that is already set, then I would need to see a debug log from calibre to see what is happening.
Old 05-06-2022, 08:05 AM   #448
Lykke
Groupie
Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The driver should be doing the updates for all books on the device that match with books in the library when the device is connected. If that isn't happening, it is probably configuration. On the "Sending books to devices" page of the preferences, the "Metadata management" option needs to be set to the automatic option. If that is already set, then I would need to see a debug log from calibre to see what is happening.
Yep, had it set to automatic management. On the third reconnect to USB it seems to have transferred the page and word counts for all books. Perhaps it just needed some time to do it for all, although I left it connected for 30 min.

When I sent some new books to the device the page and word count were not transferred. Attaching log if you're interested.
When I reconnected to USB after transferring the book, page and word count were transferred (did not log this).

EDIT: Uh, so the log file is apparently too large so can't be uploaded. Well, problem solved anyway.
Lykke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 08:32 AM   #449
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lykke View Post
Yep, had it set to automatic management. On the third reconnect to USB it seems to have transferred the page and word counts for all books. Perhaps it just needed some time to do it for all, although I left it connected for 30 min.
It should happen immediately. There are several jobs run when the device connects. One of those does the update. When they finish, the metadata should be updated on the device.
Quote:
When I sent some new books to the device the page and word count were not transferred. Attaching log if you're interested.
When I reconnected to USB after transferring the book, page and word count were transferred (did not log this).
That is working as designed. The updates can't be done until the book is on the device and imported by the device. The next time the device is connected, the metadata, including the series info and now these stats is updated.
Old 05-06-2022, 09:31 PM   #450
Deobulakenyo
Guru

I tried to add pages and word count to books so they will appear in the details tab on my Libra 2, but after connecting to calibre, and updating metadata, still no book pages and word counts are in my books on my device.

I attached screenshots. Please tell me where I did wrong.

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cal01.jpg
Views:	607
Size:	413.3 KB
ID:	193659   Click image for larger version

Name:	cal02.png
Views:	141
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	193660   Click image for larger version

Name:	cal03.jpg