Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 10-01-2020, 08:07 AM   #436
valkesz
valkesz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Hisense A5
He guys, I both my phone from aliexpress few days ago, and I have a problem, I cant update my phone.
My current version is, L1657.6.09.00.ls and as I know the newest is 6.11... When Im trying to update in the system update menu its says chechking and after that Im getting this message: "Not checked newer version". Is it possible I have a permission problem with the system app, or something like this?
valkesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 01:16 PM   #437
Schnipps
Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by pata View Post
Why only chose between Hisense A5 and Yotaphone?
Old and/or cheap? Ironically, A5 "Classic" appears to have the best (glassless) E Ink screen. Yota 2 is/was a solid product in its day. And both can be rooted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pata View Post
There is also Hisense A6L (and older A6) which both have dual color and eink screen and both support custom XDA roms e.g. for A6L and for A6
Yes, and the A2 Pro.
Thanks for the links, but I wouldn't call that support just yet - Project Trebble is generic & experimental, and the other has a high likelihood of brickage. Even if you managed to install, some basic functions might not work as expected.

Apparently there are Chinese (gapps-less) and Russian versions of the A6(L). The Russian version has gapps, but no widgets. No confirmation if it works any better than the Chinese attempt to hack Google services into the A5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by valkesz View Post
He guys, I cant update my phone...
Did you try setting the language to Chinese?
That does the trick on some Chinese E Ink devices.

Last edited by Schnipps; 10-01-2020 at 01:18 PM.
Schnipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2020, 02:02 PM   #438
rowe
Zealot
rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A9, Mira, Paperlike Colour
I only use my A5 as a reader, so thought I'd see if it could double up as a power bank for my iPhone...
https://imgur.com/9de0EuT

It works, charging at about half the speed of a regular iPhone wall charger (or 10% of peak fast charging).

The cable type seems fairly rare, I got mine from Ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Micro-Usb...53.m2749.l2649
rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 02:12 PM   #439
Schnipps
Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S
Exclamation iptables/afwall?

Btw, do these Chinese phones - especially the A5 or A6 - have iptables on them? Can someone check?

So you could - once rooted - install Afwall+?
Schnipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 08:51 AM   #440
valkesz

Thanks, for the advice, I set the language the Chinese, and also I made a factory reset on the device and then I set it up with the Chinese language but still I cant update it.
Do you guys have any other advice?
Advert
Old 10-02-2020, 02:01 PM   #441
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Thanks, for the advice, I set the language the Chinese, and also I made a factory reset on the device and then I set it up with the Chinese language but still I cant update it.
Do you guys have any other advice?
Did you get the original version of the A5 or the "international" version with Google Play?

From what I have read, the "international" version will not receive updates as it is not an official version, but I could be mistaken.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 02:50 PM   #442
orebmur
Veteran Linux user
orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue Likebook Note & Mimas, Hisense A5, hopefully soon a PineNote
Quote:
He guys, I both my phone from aliexpress few days ago, and I have a problem, I cant update my phone.
My current version is, L1657.6.09.00.ls and as I know the newest is 6.11... [...]
You supposedly bought an A5 with an allegedly international ROM and/or gapps on aliexpress. This is a hacked ROM that simply can't be upgraded.

I went through the same situation and finally resorted to replace the hacked ROM with an official one that allows for normal upgrades.

A short description from where to download and how to replace the hacked ROM with an official one is here:

www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4033951&postcount=419

The process proved to be rather straighforward and painless to me.

Good luck.

Last edited by orebmur; 10-03-2020 at 04:15 PM.
orebmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 04:37 AM   #443
valkesz

Quote:
Originally Posted by orebmur View Post
You supposedly bought an A5 with an allegedly international ROM and/or gapps on aliexpress. This is a hacked ROM that simply can't be upgraded.

I went through the same situation and finally resorted to replace the hacked ROM with an official one that allows for normal upgrades.

A short description from where to download and how to replace the hacked ROM with an official one is here:

www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4033951&postcount=419

The process proved to be rather straighforward and painless to me.

Good luck.
Thanks for the help! I did it with TF mode, it was working perfectly, finally I have the original rom on the phone and I could update it, thanks again!
Old 10-11-2020, 12:52 PM   #444
jsp56
jsp56 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi,

I wondered if I could ask which of these hisense e-ink phones is the most sophisticated model that I could use with a tesco mobile sim card to just make phone calls and send text messages in the UK?

I can't use LED backlit screens and my old safe phone has just stopped working, so I think I need to get a move on and buy an i-ink phone.

Ideally I'd like to buy the HiSense A5 Pro CC if it would work with a tesco sim in the UK.

I don't need the google play store.

Thanks!

Jen
jsp56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:17 PM   #445
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can check the various networks which the A5 Pro CC works on and then check to see if that is compatible with what Tesco has to offer.

Here are a couple of sources showing the different networks the A5 Pro CC works on:

Quote:
Network Type GSM / CDMA / HSPA / LTE / 5G
2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2
3G Network HSDPA 800 / 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
4G Network LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900)
5G Network No
Network Speed HSPA, LTE-A / 5G
Network GPRS Yes
Network EDGE Yes
SIM Type Micro-SIM

https://techlector.com/hisense-a5-pr...0-mah-battery/
Quote:
2G/GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz (B5/B8/B3/B2), CDMA (800MHz), 3G/WCDMA 850/900/1900/2100MHz (B5/B8/B2/B1), 3G/TD-SCDMA 1900/2000MHz (B39/B34), 4G/FDD-LTE 850/900/1800/2100/2600MHz (B5/B8/B3/B1/B7), 4G/TD-LTE 1900/2100/2300/2500/2600MHz (B39/B34/B40/B41/B38)

https://www.cect-shop.com/en/hisense-a5-pro-cc.html
Old 12-03-2020, 10:28 PM   #446
Villain
Enthusiast
Villain began at the beginning.

Device: Hisense A5
Hi, is it possible to set push notification in this phone somehow? My bank introduced mobile authentication through push notifications as the only method for online playments. I installed the app from Aurora store and it works but I can't get push notifications as it says: "Access to google store is required to enable push notifications". Very bad news for me. Is there any way around it? (Oh, and the phone version with google store is not a solution because it doesn't let banking apps run properly or at all anyway).
Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 01:12 PM   #447
Hannesl
Hannesl began at the beginning.

Device: Hisense a5
I bought a hisense a5 this autmn from cect-shop with gapps. I somehow managed to brick it, but eventually I restored it and installed gapps. Now I've noticed that I dont get all text messages and I also get an error that says google play service need access to SMS.
I've been thinking and looking around but can't find a solution. Do I need to use ADB? I'm a bit of a noob but I am literate and can follow instructions.
Hannesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 11:45 AM   #448
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Today I finally received my A5 Pro. I've been playing around with it, and it seems like a great phone, but it's a bit confusing to use with all the Chinese software in it.

Can I safely remove all the Chinese programs? Will this somehow destabilize the phone or cause any problems with system updates? I also want to completely disable/remove the Vision thing that wants to appear on a swipe to the left from the main screen.

What apps have you installed in the stead of the built-in ones? I would want to use as much open source software as possible - if it's available on f-droid it's a huge plus. What keyboard, caller, etc, work well with the e-ink screen? I don't quite trust the inbuilt stuff, and want to deactivate it in as far as that is possible.

I can already feel how much nicer the screen is to my eyes! I had to check something on my old phone after a while, and felt almost a pang of pain going to an LCD screen from e-ink..

Any general recommendations?

EDIT: Oh, and how do you get your bought versions of Play Store apps installed? I have bought Moon Reader, goldendict and a few others. Should I contact them for apks? Are they available for download through Play Store from my other devices?

Last edited by kandwo; 01-13-2021 at 12:11 PM.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 12:40 PM   #449
skynet84
Enthusiast
skynet84 is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Hi guys! Take a look at my Hisense A5 Pro CC Unboxing,
https://youtu.be/A4mO1PVP5Cs
Let me know if you have any request or suggestion because I will release soon a deep videoreview ��
Subscribe to my channel. This way you can help me to increase my Youtube channel, thank you! ��
skynet84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:56 PM   #450
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post
EDIT: Oh, and how do you get your bought versions of Play Store apps installed? I have bought Moon Reader, goldendict and a few others. Should I contact them for apks? Are they available for download through Play Store from my other devices?
I got Moon+ Reader Pro working on my A5 by going through the Aurora store. It does seem possible that you could log into Google Play via the Aurora Store to then download and install those apps which you have already purchased. However, Google could apparently shut down your account if you do that. Details here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=247

So I chose to open a dummy Google account and purchased a Google Play Store card and bought the Moon+ Reader Pro app again. Details here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=152

As it happens, Google didn't shut down the dummy account. It is still there and accessible which is fortunate just in case I need to purchase any other apps in the future. I wouldn't want to risk having my main Google account shut down and I don't mind paying twice for apps which I regularly use.