Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-04-2020, 10:47 AM   #436
jamalau
Connoisseur
jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.

Device: Kobo Forma
@jackie_w
Here my minclock.cfg
Used with the latest version from #311!
These issue is only with my Kobo Aura, also after a FacoryReset!
With my Forma, all works fine, after a FactoryReset!
Attached Files
File Type: txt miniclock.cfg.txt (6.9 KB, 143 views)

Last edited by jamalau; 06-04-2020 at 10:54 AM.
jamalau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 12:07 PM   #437
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
As @jackie_w said, I can't reproduce the Invert issue on a H2O, FWIW.

But, lightbulb moment:

@jamalau: You're running in *overlay* mode. This requires hardware nightmode support to behave properly. I disabled hardware nightmode support on the Aura because it's known to crash on older FW versions.
So, on an Aura, that won't work, ever. (This applies to backgroundless mode, too, FWIW).

The Aura is the only device to suffer from this quirk. (But other old devices may have *broken* nightmode support on older FW, too).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2020, 12:27 PM   #438
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
As @jackie_w said, I can't reproduce the Invert issue on a H2O, FWIW.

But, lightbulb moment:

@jamalau: You're running in *overlay* mode. This requires hardware nightmode support to behave properly. I disabled hardware nightmode support on the Aura because it's known to crash on older FW versions.
So, on an Aura, that won't work, ever. (This applies to backgroundless mode, too, FWIW).

The Aura is the only device to suffer from this quirk. (But other old devices may have *broken* nightmode support on older FW, too).
@jamalau:

re: old Kobo Aura 6"

Just to confirm that with the following settings MiniClock and InvertScreen via NickelMenu are working happily together when InvertScreen is toggled:
Code:
backgroundless=0
overlay=0
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 12:40 PM   #439
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That said, the behavior on the Aura is specific to the hardware: whether the Invert feature is enabled via NickelMenu or via the Dev menu shouldn't change anything.

(What *would* behave differently is the standalone nightmode hack in software inversion mode. But we're starting to reach the edge-case inside a corner-case at that point ^^).
Old 06-05-2020, 07:24 AM   #440
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
Below is my cfg file on my Clara HD. No matter what combination of backgroundless and overlay I use, invert screen is not recognised if I directly select it using NickelMenu. It works perfectly otherwise.

Please correct whatever I have set incorrectly within the config.

Thanks,
Attached Files
File Type: txt miniclockcfg.txt (5.4 KB, 131 views)
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2020, 09:24 AM   #441
bansheeat
bansheeat began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD Mark 4
I have an Issue with my Kobo Aura HD new Firmware not showing Battery Status.
What should I put in the cfg File to show me my Battery Status all the Time ?

No need to bother, I figured it out

Last edited by bansheeat; 06-05-2020 at 01:20 PM.
bansheeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 11:11 AM   #442
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by church mouse View Post
Below is my cfg file on my Clara HD. No matter what combination of backgroundless and overlay I use, invert screen is not recognised if I directly select it using NickelMenu. It works perfectly otherwise.

Please correct whatever I have set incorrectly within the config.
I don't think there's anything wrong with your attached miniclock.cfg file. I tried it on my ClaraHD and InvertScreen-via-NickelMenu is working OK.

So, what else to try???
  1. Did you disable kobopatch's `Replace adobe page numbers toggle with invert screen` patch before adding the NickelMenu InvertScreen option. I suppose it's possible they may fight each other if they are both enabled.
  2. Check your .kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf file. It's possible you have multiple entries for InvertScreen in there. If you've got one in the [Reading] section, delete it. That's the one the kobopatch hack used. I think the NickelMenu InvertScreen stores it in the correct section [FeatureSettings]. If in doubt, delete all occurrences of InvertScreen and let NickelMenu set everything up correctly.
  3. If you did manually edit .kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf it's probably best if you do a full power cycle to make sure the edited config file is read.
Old 06-05-2020, 11:40 AM   #443
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Hmm, @jackie_w might be on to something with 2. (and/or 1., as I don't have the patch enabled on my end), multiple entries of the same name in the config file might very well be confusing things.

Not quite sure why that'd only happen via NickelMenu, though, because that updates the config instantaneously on my end...

@church mouse: Probably harmless, but your config is based on an old template, there are a few missing keys in it. They *should* automatically default to sane values, but it couldn't hurt to rebuild a config out of the latest example one.

@bansheeat: Tweak the battery_min/battery_max range?

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-05-2020 at 11:44 AM.
Old 06-05-2020, 11:45 AM   #444
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@jackie_w

Thank you for the feedback.
The answer for point 2 is "no".
On point 3, I have not manually edited the conf file.
That just leaves point 1 - I definitely have not disabled the kobopatch toggle because I was not aware that the patch and NickelMenu could cause a conflict. Is that a respectable guess or a definite? I ask because I seek to reduce firmware installations as much as possible.
Old 06-05-2020, 11:47 AM   #445
NiLuJe
BLAM!

I can only say I don't have it enabled on my end, and it works .
Old 06-05-2020, 11:48 AM   #446
church mouse
Evangelist

@NiLuJe

I will grab a newer version of the cfg template and see if that fixes things.
Old 06-05-2020, 11:48 AM   #447
church mouse
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I can only say I don't have it enabled on my end, and it works .
Bother!
Old 06-05-2020, 11:49 AM   #448
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Do remember that a patch (re)-install isn't a full firmware update, it'll only update 2 or 3 files, if you were worried about write cycles (which you shouldn't, really).
Old 06-05-2020, 12:09 PM   #449
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by church mouse View Post
Is that a respectable guess or a definite? I ask because I seek to reduce firmware installations as much as possible.
I don't know whether it's a 'respectable' guess or not.

Before I installed NickelMenu I anticipated having both the patch and NickelMenu trying to do the same thing may cause problems, so I didn't give them the chance.

My ClaraHD works as intended with your miniclock.cfg. The old patch is disabled and my .conf file has one entry for InvertScreen and it's in the [FeatureSettings] section.
Old 06-05-2020, 12:12 PM   #450
church mouse
Evangelist

Double bother!

I have changed the cfg template and repatched without the Adobe Page Number patch enabled, but I still get a white background on selecting invert from NickelMenu.