Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil > Plugins

Notices

Old 04-06-2022, 06:52 PM   #436
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
My guess (and this is just a guess) is that your version of Sigil is too old for the newest epubcheck 4.6.2. If 0.4.5 catches no errors, and the commandline version reports no errors. Your epub is clean.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 12:20 AM   #437
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by philja View Post
Should I be concerned about the internal error? What does it mean?
Sometimes EPUBCheck reports errors or warnings without a file name reference. This is an EPUBCheck bug. To suppress this warning, open plugin.py with a text editor and change line 586 from:

Code:
                                bk.add_result('error', path, None, _('*** Internal error. bk.readfile() failed for: ') + filename)
to:

Code:
                                pass
Make sure not to change the number of spaces before this line.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2022, 11:31 AM   #438
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Thanks for the plug-in, but even more, thanks for the clear instructions!
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 12:33 PM   #439
philja
Zealot
philja began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Sometimes EPUBCheck reports errors or warnings without a file name reference. This is an EPUBCheck bug. To suppress this warning, open plugin.py with a text editor and change line 586 from:

Code:
                                bk.add_result('error', path, None, _('*** Internal error. bk.readfile() failed for: ') + filename)
to:

Code:
                                pass
Make sure not to change the number of spaces before this line.
Thanks Doitsu. I made that mod to plugin.py (except it was line 580 rather than 586) and it no longer throws that error message when using 0.4.6.2.

I expect the new UbuntuStudio 22.04 LTS will be available in a few weeks' time and hopefully it will have a newer version of Sigil.
philja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 12:48 PM   #440
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I expect the new UbuntuStudio 22.04 LTS will be available in a few weeks' time and hopefully it will have a newer version of Sigil.
Repology confirms that 22.04 LTS has the latest Sigil in its repository. Sigil 1.9.2 at the time of this post. That's good news, as their earlier LTS versions have lagged significantly behind Sigil's development.

Unfortunately, it's also possible that Sigil 1.9.2 might not get updated for the 5 years Ubuntu 22.04 is supported.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2022, 03:59 PM   #441
killo3967
killo3967 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Please re-download the latest version of the plugin (0.4.6.2) from the first page in this thread and install it.

This should fix your problem.

If it doesn't, edit EpubCheck.json and change the following entry:

Code:
  "github": true,
to:

Code:
  "github": false,
I do all of this but i also have the problem.

Windows 10
Sigil 1.9.20
Epubcheck 0.4.6.2
Java java version "1.8.0_351"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_351-b10)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 25.351-b10, mixed mode)
and i also modified epubcheck.json and put false in github line
killo3967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 05:12 PM   #442
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What exactly was your error message?
Old 11-23-2022, 07:13 AM   #443
killo3967
killo3967 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
What exactly was your error message?
Estado: failed

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Program Files\Sigil\plugin_launchers\python\launcher.py", line 142, in launch
self.exitcode = target_script.run(container)
File "C:\Users\server\AppData\Local\sigil-ebook\sigil\plugins\EpubCheck\plugin.py", line 250, in run
arch = get_arch(java_path)
File "C:\Users\server\AppData\Local\sigil-ebook\sigil\plugins\EpubCheck\plugin.py", line 36, in get_arch
_, stderr = jar_wrapper(*args)
File "C:\Users\server\AppData\Local\sigil-ebook\sigil\plugins\EpubCheck\plugin.py", line 56, in jar_wrapper
process = Popen(args, stdout=PIPE, stderr=PIPE, shell=False)
File "subprocess.py", line 951, in __init__
File "subprocess.py", line 1420, in _execute_child
FileNotFoundError: [WinError 2] El sistema no puede encontrar el archivo especificado
Error: [WinError 2] El sistema no puede encontrar el archivo especificado
killo3967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 09:11 AM   #444
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Have you properly installed 64 bit java on your system and added it so it can be found in your path? The epubcheck plugin requires you install java since epubcheck itself is written in java and it must be added to your system path so that it can be found and launched or its path must be properly added to the epubcjheck plugin json settings file.

Last edited by KevinH; 11-23-2022 at 10:19 AM.
Old 11-23-2022, 11:49 AM   #445
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
epubcheck does not work with 32-bit java.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 12:16 PM   #446
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killo3967 View Post
Estado: failed
That error message is usually shown if the Java binary can't be found.
If you open a command prompt window and enter
Code:
java -version
do you get a version number? If not you might need to add the Java binary path to the environment variables.
For more information see the trouble-shooting section at the end of the first post.

You can also add a custom Java path to EpubCheck.json. For example:

Code:
  "java_path": "C:/Program Files/Eclipse Adoptium/jdk-17.0.5.8-hotspot/bin/java.exe",
or

Code:
  "java_path": "C:\\Program Files\\Eclipse Adoptium\\jdk-17.0.5.8-hotspot\\bin\\java.exe",
Old 11-27-2022, 10:13 AM   #447
philja
Zealot

similar problem to killo3967

I was overjoyed at discovering on the Sigil website that Linux users could install a flatpack version of Sigil which would enable them to stay up to date. So when I moved up to UbuntuStudio 22.04LTS (with KDE Plasma desktop), I installed said flatpack version Sigil 1.9.20 which works fine except for the EpubCheck plugin.

Running epubcheck on my file gives the failure message:
Quote:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/app/share/sigil/plugin_launchers/python/launcher.py", line 142, in launch
self.exitcode = target_script.run(container)
File "/home/pnj/.var/app/com.sigil_ebook.Sigil/data/sigil-ebook/sigil/plugins/EpubCheck/plugin.py", line 250, in run
arch = get_arch(java_path)
File "/home/pnj/.var/app/com.sigil_ebook.Sigil/data/sigil-ebook/sigil/plugins/EpubCheck/plugin.py", line 36, in get_arch
_, stderr = jar_wrapper(*args)
File "/home/pnj/.var/app/com.sigil_ebook.Sigil/data/sigil-ebook/sigil/plugins/EpubCheck/plugin.py", line 56, in jar_wrapper
process = Popen(args, stdout=PIPE, stderr=PIPE, shell=False)
File "/usr/lib/python3.10/subprocess.py", line 969, in __init__
self._execute_child(args, executable, preexec_fn, close_fds,
File "/usr/lib/python3.10/subprocess.py", line 1845, in _execute_child
raise child_exception_type(errno_num, err_msg, err_filename)
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'java'
Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'java'
'java -version' returns :

Quote:
openjdk version "18.0.2-ea" 2022-07-19
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 18.0.2-ea+9-Ubuntu-222.04)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 18.0.2-ea+9-Ubuntu-222.04, mixed mode, sharing)
and 'which java' returns: /usr/bin/java

I've tried editing the "java_path" line in the EpubCheck.json file to:

"java_path": "/usr/bin/java"

and to several variations - I tracked down the ultimate java executable at the end of links to:

/lib/jvm/java-18-openjdk-amd64/bin/java

and tried using that in the java_path variable but all I achieved was to alter the value of the 'No such file or directory' statement at the end of the failure message.

The epubcheck.jar file in my flatpack installation is located in this directory:

~/.var/app/com.sigil_ebook.Sigil/data/sigil-ebook/sigil/plugins/EpubCheck/

If I open a terminal in there and run "java -jar epubcheck.jar ~/Desktop/myebook.epub", it completes the check with an appropriate series of messages.

I expect my problem is complicated by the use of a flatpack version but I would be grateful for any help in correcting it.
Old 11-27-2022, 11:08 AM   #448
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I expect my problem is complicated by the use of a flatpack version but I would be grateful for any help in correcting it.
EPUBCheck works fine with Sigil built from source on my Arch Linux machine. AFAIK, the only solution to this problem is either building Sigil from source or modifying the Sigil flatpack to install Java.

IMHO, thanks to DiapDealer's fool-proof build instructions, installing Sigil form source is the easiest solution. All you have to do is create a build folder and copy and paste a couple of ready-made commands.
(No Linux skills other than creating/changing a directory are required.)
Old 11-27-2022, 11:11 AM   #449
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Plugins that need to use external binaries (such as java) are not likely to work with the Flatpak version of Sigil.

EDIT: as Doitsu already mentioned.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 12:50 PM   #450
philja
Zealot

Thanks, Doitsu and DiapDealer, for the prompt replies.

I suspected as much and that surprises me since I had thought the objectives of snap and flatpack packages included the idea that all necessary baggage was to be included. I guess they hadn't anticipated that some plugins with additional requirements might be used.

I'll have a look at "DiapDealer's fool-proof build instructions".