Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-14-2010, 11:26 AM   #31
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
Silly British Town Names

Welcome to Catbrain, Dog Village, Beer, and Chew Magna.
Not in the UK, but along the same lines is Hell, Michigan USA
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:36 AM   #32
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
Not in the UK, but along the same lines is Hell, Michigan USA
Hell freezes over.

BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2010, 11:50 AM   #33
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Actually I haven't been anywhere where you can't get a burger and fries if you look hard enough. I'm not a super world traveller, but I've been around the block once or twice, cultural imperialism DOES have its upside.
I've found cheeseburgers and fries in Rome, Athens, Dublin, Cairo, Damascus, Geneva, Lebanon and Berlin.
Of course I did that without leaving the state of Georgia.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:06 PM   #34
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
He's English! And English humour is the best in the world (or at least I think so...)
naw, there's British humour and Harry's overwhelmingly dahlek perspective of humanity...

EXTERMINATE ALL OPINIONS!!!!!!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:12 PM   #35
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
Silly British Town Names

Welcome to Catbrain, Dog Village, Beer, and Chew Magna.
I note that Staines is on the list on that web site. Not too silly a name you might think...except that Siemens had an office there. Legend had it that when you called their switchboard they answered with "Hello, Siemens Staines, how may I help you"

Make sure you say it out loud to get the full effect

(Probably one of those urban myths, I know).
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2010, 02:15 PM   #36
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
We have Lizard Lick, NC.
http://lizardlicktownhall.com/
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:15 PM   #37
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
British street names.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:28 PM   #38
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Well, I know there used to be a Gropec**t Lane in London. Apparently it was a fairly common name for streets in UK towns where ladies of the night plied their trade!
Old 09-14-2010, 04:24 PM   #39
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Obama Oppresses Scots!

When Obama entered office he had a chance to correct many wrongs.

But there are many a Scot laying on their death bed hoping that Obama would permit the importation a Haggis for their last meat. But Obama will deny them their dying wish!

US not ready to lift ban on Scottish haggis

Indeed, Obama is putting pressure on the Queen Elizabeth to ban Haggis hunting! It's unconfirmed, but believed to be true that he has threatened her with another iPod. This one completely filled with his speeches!

Confirmed: Queen’s iPod includes Obama’s speeches

STAND UP TO TYRANNY!
Support the right to hunt Haggis!

Schedule now for the next Haggis hunt.

ONLY 77 DAYS TO GO UNTIL HAGGIS SEASON

SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:46 PM   #40
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Well, I know there used to be a Gropec**t Lane in London. Apparently it was a fairly common name for streets in UK towns where ladies of the night plied their trade!
I was going to post that, but since the last one was renamed by 1561, I thought it a tad dated.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:54 PM   #41
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
I was going to post that, but since the last one was renamed by 1561, I thought it a tad dated.
My apologies. Perhaps you could publish your guidelines for when facts go out of date so that we can all avoid falling foul of your all-knowing greatness.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:33 PM   #42
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
My apologies. Perhaps you could publish your guidelines for when facts go out of date so that we can all avoid falling foul of your all-knowing greatness.
No offense intended-- just that the name was so old as to not bear much relevance to current culture the way names changed in the last few years or decades would have. Not quite "ancient history" but firmly "antique history."

And I knew about the name because I saw it on boingboing a few days ago (which may or may not have been where you saw it.)
Old 09-14-2010, 08:12 PM   #43
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
there's a babydoll road here in town where the ladies used to entertain the sailors
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:21 PM   #44
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Ask anyone that went to Fort Holabird, MD about Dundalk Dollies.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 12:49 AM   #45
BenG
Home Guard

I grew up not too far from Between, Georgia. (Where are you? I'm in Between).
And let's not forget Truth or Consequences, New Mexico or North, South Carolina.

Last edited by BenG; 09-15-2010 at 12:52 AM.