Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-07-2007, 03:01 PM   #31
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Here's a selection that could suit her daughter:
Oz: http://www.feedbooks.com/discover/view_author/96
Grimm's Fairy Tales: http://www.feedbooks.com/discover/view_book/187
The Arabian Nights: http://www.feedbooks.com/discover/view_book/208
A Christmas Carol: http://www.feedbooks.com/discover/view_book/59
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland: http://www.feedbooks.com/discover/view_book/22
Treasure Island: http://www.feedbooks.com/discover/view_book/97
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 01:57 PM   #32
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm sure the issue is simply being afraid of losing revenue to pirates, an attitude of which Scholastic is probably convinced, and is therefore convincing her. The rest is... how would you say it?... "smoke and mirrors."
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2007, 02:11 PM   #33
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
But Scholastic publishes other titles titles electronically.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 04:04 PM   #34
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Rowling's concern about online piracy is just silly, but her desire for readers to experience the books on paper has some validity. This is somewhat diminished by the fact that there are Harry Potter movies though, and even more so by the audio books.

I think it is probably more likely for a new reader to get hooked on books after reading a paper Harry Potter book than, say, a Sony Reader version.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 04:17 PM   #35
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I can just hear Lauzon blasting me but DRM is a good incitement to promotion of ebook sales. I talked to an author a little while back. When I brought up the subject of ebooks she got negatively fired up. As soon as I saw the smoke I explained about DRM and things began to change. She said she'd try to talk it over with her publishing house. I'm sure that with the right ambassador, Janet Kathleen (she's younger'n'me ) might see the light.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2007, 04:54 PM   #36
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's the only positive aspect I see to DRM: it does seem to calm some of the knee-jerk "but they'll steal me blind" reaction on the part of the authors and publishers, which in turn allows them to consider the idea (more) rationally.

In their defense, the matter that we discuss in so clinically detached a manner, is to them food in the mouths of their families and themselves. It's shouldn't really be a surprise to us that they are rather ... concerned about it.

The reason I don't choose to take an absolute "No DRM" stance myself -- though I do not, in any way mean to disparage those who do -- is both that I recognize that fact (and find it quite compelling), and that I really think that in the long run, this DRM thing will either shake out to something we can all actually live with (on both sides of the matter), or the world will reach a point where they realize that it's not actually helpful and drop it entirely.

I don't have problem, personally, with being prevented from copying an e-book wholesale, as long as I can read it as I want on whatever media I like, and can lend/give/sell it. If a DRM scheme comes down the pike that permits all that, I really think the matter will become moot.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:08 PM   #37
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Interesting, if old, article here: http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...7367_114192957

According to this, publishers don't think kid's ebooks will sell the way adult ebooks do. (Never mind for the moment that the Harry Potter series is so popular with adults that they publish a separate edition with more subdued covers in the UK and Canada, so adults won't embarrass themselves on the train, I guess.) The overall consensus seems to be that kids don't have devices worth reading books on. Yes, I know e ink is wonderful, but the devices are still very expensive considering functionality offered compared to, say, a Nintendo DS for $129 or an iPod Nano for $149. (Yes, I'd rather have an ebook reader than a DS, too. But we're talking about how kids spend their money, not us die-hard book fans.) And the devices haven't been marketed to kids, either. They've been marketed to "serious readers" and tech geeks. They don't come in multiple colors. They don't have many sorts of custom accessories. The text just sits there, when everything else in their ADD-inflicting lives moves at lightspeed.

I personally think the best chance eBooks have with kids is if they could be viewed on a Video iPod or a Nintendo DS or similar. Maybe certain kinds of phones. Not because these offer the best reading experiences, but because these are the devices the kids have. For an e ink reader to be successful, someone needs to come up with an application that is fascinating to kids and works with e ink, in addition to reading books, e.g. email or textmessaging or choose-your-own-adventure stories or (more likely) something I've never thought of. And the prices need to be slashed by about half.

I know it was a joke, but the custom Hogwarts e-reader pre-loaded with the whole series, in one of the four school House colors could actually help the situation, if Rowling would do it. Maybe a good way to convince her would be to bundle a whole bunch of other literature along with it, so she'd know that not only would the kids be reading her books, but they'd be exposed to tons of other material that she thinks would be good for them to read.

If anyone does decide to send her (or Jessica) a reader, let's make a custom sleeve for it with the Gryffindor colors and logo.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 05:19 PM   #38
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
If you look at it an other way, the kids that grew up with Harry from the start are adults now. More and more of them can afford readers...
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 05:23 PM   #39
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible
...the kids that grew up with Harry from the start are adults now....
So are the kids that grew up in Harry Potter (the movies)! "Harry Potter and the Wheelchair of Incontinence" anyone?
Old 02-08-2007, 07:07 PM   #40
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien
Great choices, though I think it would be important to include some commercially current books as well, to make the point that her contemporaries are taking the step that she's holding back from. That's why I suggested including Paolini, Pullman, etc. Unfortunately, Sony Connect doesn't even have a Children's section, and their scanty Young Adult section is buried under Fiction. (But in addition to the books we've already recommended for Jessica, I did notice some Susan Cooper and Meg Cabot titles that would probably be good to add to the list.)

Heck, if we could get someone to donate a Reader, I'd chip in for a couple of books for Jessica. The kid's got to have a birthday sometime this year, right? Let's send her a MobileRead present!
Old 02-08-2007, 10:15 PM   #41
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Since I don't own a Sony reader, I wasn't sure what the status of accessories, i.e. book covers was for it. I just looked and saw a nice red cover that could have the Griffindor logo laminated to it using a t-shirt transfer sheet. Mockups attached.

Jessica Rowling's birthday is July 28. She'll be 14 this year. Maybe we should take up a collection through Amazon Honor System or similar. The avid readers at the "Harry Potter for Grown-Ups" email list would likely help. If we didn't pull in enough to cover the reader, books, and shipping, we could donate the money to one of Rowling's preferred charities, e.g. Médecins Sans Frontières. (Actually, this would make a good overall goal and destination for any funds collected in excess of the amount required, as well.)

How about it? Would anyone here be willing to chip in, say, US$10 or the equivalent? We'd only need about 40 people to cover the project. It could be a good way to get our point across, a good charitable cause, and a nice gift for a kid who's shared her mum with millions.

I'd be willing to coordinate if there's at least some interest....

PS - I would have preferred to put the Slytherins on the stock black cover for effect, but since there's no blue cover for Ravenclaw, I had to use brown (for bronze) and that meant using black for Hufflepuff, as their colors are yellow and black. And anyway, the Slytherin colors really are green and silver, not black, whatever the rest of the school may think of them.

PPS - embroidered patches for the Houses are available e.g. on eBay and would look even nicer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PRS500Slytherin.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	2815   Click image for larger version

Name:	PRS500LRavenclaw.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	2816   Click image for larger version

Name:	PRS500LHufflepuff.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	2817   Click image for larger version

Name:	PRS500Gryffindor.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	2818  

Last edited by nekokami; 02-08-2007 at 10:29 PM. Reason: PS, pps
Old 02-08-2007, 10:36 PM   #42
NatCh
Gizmologist

I'd chip in on that.

You might want to start a separate thread for this, neko, one with a poll, perhaps.

Before we get too far with it, we ought to make sure that we have a way to get the rascal to her (i.e. someplace to send it to).
Old 02-08-2007, 11:07 PM   #43
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Before we get too far with it, we ought to make sure that we have a way to get the rascal to her (i.e. someplace to send it to).
Easy-peasy. We send it to her publisher or her agent, both of whom have public addresses. That's how Ms. Rowling gets her fan mail, so once they've checked this odd package to make sure it's not a nasty bomb or something, they'll pass it along, I'm pretty sure. (And by then, its nature will probably be pretty public -- I'm afraid there's no way to make it a surprise gift with a public call for donations.)

I'll start another thread tomorrow, with a poll. It's late here and I should get some sleep. (Stayed up too late reading ebooks again. )