sarahsbloke began at the beginning.

Device: Original Nook, Kindle Keyboard
The advertising suggests 3-4 weeks
16 hours is not 3-4 weeks by a long shot
sarahsbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:39 AM   #32
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Actually, the website sez 10 days with wireless off. Doesn't specifically say how much time is actually spent reading books.

I've been pondering a nook. Salesperson at B&N said about 5 days, which sounds reasonable with a touch screen, although still didn't specify how much actual reading time that is.

Of course "reading time" is a misnomer. Should be more like "page turns". Actual reading time depends on too many factors -- how fast do you read? How many "pages" to a page (zoom level)?

But it is disappointing to hear most time frames expressed in hours rather than days. It's kind of nice to run into a "low battery" warning every week to 10 days instead of having to charge it every night. Especially handy when camping or hiking, or doing any extended activity away from home. Or even travelling and staying in hotels, its nice not to have yet another charger to carry along.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2010, 03:21 PM   #33
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
I charged mine 2 days ago to 100% and I have read about 12 hours on it since. Right now the battery is at 41%. So I would guess I might probably get 16+ hrs of reading time on it? I know I turn a lot of pages, but I keep my font on extra small or small so I don't seem to have as many page turns as I would if I kept it on medium font.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:11 PM   #34
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsbloke View Post
16 hours is not 3-4 weeks by a long shot
Depends... If you read 3-4 hours per week, that works out to 3-4 weeks per charge. If your reading time is 10 hours per day, then you're talking about less than two days reading charge.

As my Nook is now happily on its way to replacement, I can't estimate "on" time for the Nook.

However, I was getting about three-four days reading time (8-10 hours per day) on the Bookeen Cybook Gen3 and I'm averaging 6-8 days (same hours per day) on the K2.

Still, compared to my 'reading time' on my iPod Touch (measured at 3.5 hours per charge - MAX!), even two days per charge at 8-10 hours of use per day would be pretty darned good!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:23 PM   #35
Fincary
Fincary began at the beginning.

Device: Ebookwise-1150; Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro; Nook
The reason you get so many different answers about the battery life of the nook is that it really depends on your reading habits and nook settings. With the network turned off, the touchscreen is the main power draw for the unit. The less the touchscreen is "on" (and the more you reduce the brightness), the longer the battery life. There is no reason to have the network stuff running (either 3G or Wifi) unless you are actively using them.

If you just read in long marathon stretches, you will probably get a longer reading time with the battery since the touchscreen will be "off" most of the time. If you are constantly putting the nook down and coming back to it throughout the day, your battery time will be shorter as you will be coming out of standby everytime which turns "on" the touchscreen. If you annotate or otherwise mark your ebooks, expect lower battery life. If you play games battery life is much lower.

Days between charge is really a bad measuring stick to use. Reading time or page turns would be a much better benchmark. That said, with my reading habits, I get about 1.5 weeks per charge. I'm able to read 2-3 times a day for about 20 mins a shot, then I read about an hour before bed. I'm probalby in the 18-20 hours of reading time before a charge.
Fincary is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2010, 07:11 PM   #36
Doug Pardee
Zealot
Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.

Device: B&N NOOK 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsbloke View Post
What advertising says that? I've never seen any claims longer than 10 days.

Number of days is a silly way to measure battery life, anyway. The number of days will depend on how much you use it, and how you use it. If you leave it turned off, I'll bet you get the 3-4 weeks out of it.

Realistically, somewhere on the order of 10-20 hours of reading, with wireless off and the LCD display dark, is probably reasonable. Most people don't restrict themselves to reading, so they'll get less duration.

Mine needs recharging less often than my cellphone does, so I don't see any problem. Maybe I should whine about my cellphone.
Doug Pardee is offline   Reply With Quote