Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-05-2010, 12:32 PM   #31
darknessangel
Addict
darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Hey, the "just go for normal books" wasn't a joke! It is really better than a NintendoDS >_> With all all the requirements you gave "technically" even the DS wouldn't go through.

But I would ask your friend if his workplace rules are so draconian. However I think that Baileywick is right:

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileywick View Post
I work at a national laboratory. Our policy is that personal electronic equipment with no recording or transmitting capability may be brought into a cleared area IF a Personal Electronics Form is filled out, approved, and kept with the device at all times.

We also have a requirement that such a device must be kept at least 3 feet from all classified material.

My thought is that an ebook reader with the SD card removed and no USB cable carried in with it would suffice. My Cybook Gen 3 has enough room on the built-in memory for many books to be stored.

GJMS
darknessangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:17 PM   #32
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I don't think the people suggesting pbooks were trying to be funny. There does come a point where trying to come up with something that satisfies ridiculous rules becomes more effort than it's worth. From your description of those rules, this may be one of those times.

That said, it might be worth having him ask for further clarification of those rules. If they allow Nintendo DS in there, the rules can't be as strict as he thinks -- even my DS Lite has WiFi capability, and the DSi, etc., have cameras.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2010, 03:33 PM   #33
capidamonte
Not who you think I am...
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PocketBook 360 -- Ivory
I don't think they were trying to be funny, as I described. They were changing the strictures so they could close out the problem.

And the rules weren't "ridiculous" -- they were real and as I stated: strongly worded, but with openings in the practice of their execution for devices that technically violate them, but don't seem threatening.

He went with a LifeDrive from Palm, which I think is an excellent device, with plenty of hackability, but is old enough not to present scary capability. The only downside I see is that there is no ePub reader for Palm, but Mobipocket and Plucker should see him through.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, even the pbook suggestions. I think this thread had an influence on him (he read it.)
capidamonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:07 AM   #34
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
Coming in late...

I'm glad you found a solution. I found it interesting that they bend the rules so far. I have worked in high security areas and we were not allowed anything - even something like a (computer) mouse was subject to examination. Certainly a DS or Palm would be out of the question. Easy enough for me to stick to pbooks at work (I'm not going to have that much free time to read when I'm at work anyway), or reading over the internet (thank you Baen).
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:33 PM   #35
roebeet
Connoisseur
roebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 4 Basic, Kobo Aura
I have a long-term solution - not just for this problem but for his company in general.

Instead of restricting what's coming in, they should be blocking USB access to their own systems with something like Mcafee DLP. It can be configured for certain devices but block other devices.

The problem is that this company is always going to be behind the ball, given tech advancements. Cellphones, USB thumb drives, portable drives, DAP's, ereaders - it's never going to end and they will be constantly dealing with this issue. I recently saw a watch with a USB port built-in -- how are they going to catch that? Or a USB thumb drive pen as another example. Block USB at the system level and they'd have some control, at least.
roebeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2010, 10:43 AM   #36
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
One place that I worked, years ago, even unplugged the phone after hanging up.

Tell your friend to get an iPad. If he get any Sh-- from the security types he can tell them to check with the White House.

Apple’s iPad invades the White House - post #24

PS- In a classified area all ports such as USB, serial, etc are blocked. It's been a long time, but I don't think that you have any access to "your" computer other than to a mouse, keyboard, and monitor that meets the Tempest requirements. That may be different if the material is just classified Confidential.

Military Tempest Requirements
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote