Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you be interested in a smartphone-sized eInk device?
No, that is a silly idea. 107 56.02%
It depends. I need to see more specifics. 52 27.23%
Yes, my Kindle/Sony/Nook/iPad is too bulky to take everywhere 20 10.47%
Yes, but I'd like a touch screen with that. 12 6.28%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-13-2011, 12:04 PM   #31
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Folks read on iPhones and Blackberries and iPod Touches. Would an e-Ink device of similar be form factor be of interest to you?

I'm picturing a device where the screen has a very thin bezel, with navigation controls along the edges, or along the short sides. A screen roughly 9x6.5cm, give or take.
I'm currently trying to find one with no luck. I read on my phone ALL THE TIME, but my battery life is crap and there's the "reading in full sunlight" issue. I would love to buy an "iPhone-sized" eInk device - wish they had one on the market.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:21 PM   #32
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I voted no but not because it is a silly idea. But because I like the size of my Sony 350 which is the size of my hand & really don't want to go smaller.

Last edited by Pomtroll; 04-13-2011 at 02:33 PM.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2011, 12:36 PM   #33
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3, Kobo Libra 2
Before I got my 505, I read a lot on my N800. It has a 4.13" screen, and with FBReader set to use smaller text (as I like it) it was great. Having something pocket sized would be useful.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:09 AM   #34
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
It would be too small. I read on my iPhone before I got a dedicated reader and wouldnt go back to reading on a screen that size even if it was e-ink.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:26 AM   #35
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Glad to see most Forumites fail to see the advantage of adding to eye-strain, headache, and anger management clinics..................
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2011, 12:54 PM   #36
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Glad to see most Forumites fail to see the advantage of adding to eye-strain, headache, and anger management clinics..................
Eh. Individuals are individualistic. I don't get eye-strain at all from small hand-held devices, but larger devices give me a touch of a headache. It may be genetic - my mother got hooked reading on her iPhone, then got an iPad.... and then went straight back to her iPhone almost immediately. She prefers reading on her phone and wouldn't have it any other way.

I love reading on my phone, but the "not in full sunlight" issue combined with the 4 hour battery at full use limits my reading on it a bit. Thank god for a free market, eh?
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:04 PM   #37
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just because the display size is smaller, doesn't mean you'd have additional eye strain. Having backlit screens increase eye strain. Having what is shown on the display be smaller increases eyestrain. You could just have a smaller display, but the text size be the same as a larger display, and not effect eyestrain at all.

On my ebooks, I set the text size to be the same, and the characters appear the same size physically on my N800 and my 505, the big difference is that my 505 has a bigger display and so can fit more words on to the display at one time.

Last edited by Hellmark; 04-14-2011 at 02:07 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:08 PM   #38
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
OMG! I would have to make 4 page turns every sentence with a the font size I'd need!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:19 PM   #39
Hellmark
Wizard

It isn't for everyone, but many people are perfectly fine with smaller displays like that.

For me, a 4" display would be very usable (Like what my N800 has, and many cellphones now), and is only 1" smaller than your PRS350, so not a huge change.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:23 PM   #40
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post

For me, a 4" display would be very usable (Like what my N800 has, and many cellphones now), and is only 1" smaller than your PRS350, so not a huge change.
I would not consider that "palm size". (Maybe we're thinking differently there)

5" is the absolute smallest I would consider. I would not have considered the 5" either if it hadn't the amazing pearl screen.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:24 PM   #41
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
I voted no, but I wouldn't call it "silly". I read on Palm-sized devices for years before I got my first Kindle. I think the problem is that if you want something pocketable, you also want it to do more than just display books. I could do all kinds of things with my Palm TX.

I think people justify carrying Kindles and Nooks around because the screens are easier to read on, and you can read them more like books. The advantage of having a nice, clear e-Ink screen isn't as pronounced if you shrink it down to handheld size.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:58 PM   #42
Hellmark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
I would not consider that "palm size". (Maybe we're thinking differently there)

5" is the absolute smallest I would consider. I would not have considered the 5" either if it hadn't the amazing pearl screen.
To me palm sized is cellphone sized. Many cellphones now are switching to where basically the entire face of the phone is the display, so you can easily have 3 and 4 inch displays and still be small overall. That is possible to do with eInk, it is all in how you package it. I mean, look at how much of your 350 is not display. If you trimmed it down, to where the area around the display was minimal, it would be much more "palm sized".

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
I voted no, but I wouldn't call it "silly". I read on Palm-sized devices for years before I got my first Kindle. I think the problem is that if you want something pocketable, you also want it to do more than just display books. I could do all kinds of things with my Palm TX.

I think people justify carrying Kindles and Nooks around because the screens are easier to read on, and you can read them more like books. The advantage of having a nice, clear e-Ink screen isn't as pronounced if you shrink it down to handheld size.
You could have a pocket sized, more multifunction device, with eink that would still work as a great ebook reader. Put on there a calculator, Sudoku and other basic games, etc.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:08 PM   #43
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I would consider one, definitely. Maybe as a back-up reader, or something to always have in a travel-bag in the event that I forget my other goodies.

But, I'd need to see more specs for sure.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:12 PM   #44
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
You could have a pocket sized, more multifunction device, with eink that would still work as a great ebook reader. Put on there a calculator, Sudoku and other basic games, etc.
Maybe, but I still see any potential functions as being a lot more limited than your average smartphone. If all an e-Ink reader can bring to the table is the kind of limited things we've seen in the Kindle store, I don't see that competing well. Again, I think the size makes it less than optimal for reading. I think a Kindle/Nook/Sony sized reader is a great solution for reading, whereas a palm-sized reader doesn't put you very far away from the days of my old PalmPilot II (albeit with better resolution). It's hard for me to see a market for that.

I think the only way you could really do e-ink on a screen that size and make it marketable is to have it be a hybrid screen. If it could jump between e-ink and LCD, that might work. (Maybe have a device with an LCD on one side, and an e-ink screen on the other). And even then, I don't see a lot of interest being there.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:56 PM   #45
Hellmark
Wizard

What I think would be really cool is an eink phone that can double as an ereader. They have eink phones (well, one, from motorola, and it is a tad on the crappy and featureless side). Can have it be the same form factor we're talking about, and with an eink display would help dramatically increase battery life. There is still call for an efficient phone. And would help increase potential market for a palm sized reader.