Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-10-2010, 04:40 PM   #31
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
Out of interest do you believe that with all hardware devices or just apple media players?
of course with a full fledged computer its a given, but what about your cable box? game console? Ereader? etc
Yeah, that's personally never been a big concern of mine.

I'm not a big customizer/tweaker. A device that does what I need in a way I like right out of the box is ideal for me.

I wish Apple was more open, but mainly in terms of having a file system to make it easier to put lots of documents on them, organize them, have multiple apps be able to find and open them from a central location etc.

I don't have much issue with the App store. It seems to have most everything I'd want already, and that will only improve.

But to each their own. Some are bigger tech heads and like to tweak, and want total freedom to install anything etc.

Last edited by dmaul1114; 04-10-2010 at 04:42 PM.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 04:08 AM   #32
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
My parents go the US in one week! I best know before then or i might be tempted to give them $600 to take with them.
Why wait, the odds are that even if you don't save time then you would say money by buying it abroad.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2010, 04:15 AM   #33
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ebook readers have already shown the usefulness of devices with a screensize of around 6" and there would more than likely be a good market for a smaller ipad too, there have been plenty of reports of people that found the ipad too heavy to hold for a long period of time and then there are others who simply put a high value on the actual portability of portable devices.

[Please note, there is no need to reply saying you find the weight of an ipad fine, that is an irrelevant point to make since there is already an ipad model for people who find the current size fine, its called the ipad]
Old 04-12-2010, 05:04 AM   #34
jibril
Connoisseur
jibril is on a distinguished road

Device: none
6-7" Size doesn't make sense to me. To much fragmentation/models in Apple's market already. Might as well buy an iPod Touch at that point...

It would also make it too much like a big PDA which already died back in the mid-00s. Sure, some people may like it, but you can't please every small market segment.

Last edited by jibril; 04-12-2010 at 05:09 AM.
jibril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:25 PM   #35
Crowl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibril View Post
6-7" Size doesn't make sense to me. To much fragmentation/models in Apple's market already. Might as well buy an iPod Touch at that point...

It would also make it too much like a big PDA which already died back in the mid-00s. Sure, some people may like it, but you can't please every small market segment.
Odd choice of thing to compare it to when the more obvious one would be current ereaders where the vast majority of them are in the 5-7" range and they don't seem to be suffering.
Advert
Old 04-12-2010, 02:32 PM   #36
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
Odd choice of thing to compare it to when the more obvious one would be current ereaders where the vast majority of them are in the 5-7" range and they don't seem to be suffering.
Yep, that's the more obvious comparison.

Is there a market for people who want an iPad sized like current e-readers? Most e-reader fans here don't seem to want any with all the "if it glows it blows" crap.

But maybe there's a market for more casual readers. Or people who want a tablet device that's bigger than an iPhone/iTouch, but easier to stick in a purse etc. than the current iPad.

Time will tell. But again, I think the current model is a tad small for a tablet anyway--would like the screen a bit bigger and the bezel a bit thinner myself. But maybe sales of a smaller model will prove me wrong.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:54 PM   #37
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Yep, that's the more obvious comparison.

Is there a market for people who want an iPad sized like current e-readers? Most e-reader fans here don't seem to want any with all the "if it glows it blows" crap.

But maybe there's a market for more casual readers. Or people who want a tablet device that's bigger than an iPhone/iTouch, but easier to stick in a purse etc. than the current iPad.

Time will tell. But again, I think the current model is a tad small for a tablet anyway--would like the screen a bit bigger and the bezel a bit thinner myself. But maybe sales of a smaller model will prove me wrong.
I'd like the exact opposite. Something in the 6 - 7" range would be great.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 04:47 PM   #38
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
I'd like the exact opposite. Something in the 6 - 7" range would be great.
Yep, I thought of you when you posted that, from your comments in the apple forum about needing something you can comfortably hold in one hand to read on the subway etc.

I do think there's a market for it--I"ll be curious to see how sizable it is.

I suspect many may think their iPhone is enough and/or want something a lot bigger like the current iPad. As well as readers who prefer e-ink etc. sticking with those devices. But if anyone can sell a 7" tablet it's Apple IMO.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:26 PM   #39
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Yep, I thought of you when you posted that, from your comments in the apple forum about needing something you can comfortably hold in one hand to read on the subway etc.

I do think there's a market for it--I"ll be curious to see how sizable it is.

I suspect many may think their iPhone is enough and/or want something a lot bigger like the current iPad. As well as readers who prefer e-ink etc. sticking with those devices. But if anyone can sell a 7" tablet it's Apple IMO.
I love my iPhone but there are definitely times when a little larger screen would be nice .
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:27 PM   #40
Crowl
Wizard

With the current ipad you are seeing some people saying that its too heavy for them and others who would like a bigger screen so once the market for slates expands there would be room for both smaller and larger screens to replace or complement the current one.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:30 PM   #41
darknessangel
Addict
darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flub View Post
It'd be nice if Apple just got off their backsides and announced the details of the International launch of the iPad they have currently.

I'm starting to suspect we're going to be slapped with a delay at the last minute.
I don't think that there will be a delay but a $1 = €1 price tagging =/

GJMS
darknessangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 04:30 PM   #42
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
I absolutely think there's a market for a 7" model. My iRex is 8" and that is near perfect for reading - the form factor is a marvel. I love my ipad, but mostly prefer to read landscape in the two-page format, unless I am reading PDFs or technical books. The ipad is great for gaming, but I think a smaller device would make a certain segment of the market quite happy, though honestly I like my iPhone a lot.

A mini-iPad would be a good product for someone who doesn't own or want an iPhone or iPod touch, and find the iPad too large. Some people just do not want an iPhone for whatever reason, and the iPod Touch isn't all that fabulous as a music player because most of the time it's more convenient to have tangible buttons. An iPad-mini would fit a gamer who owns a DS or a PSP, or a person who wants an eBook Reader and doesn't mind the glow.

And they should call it Goldilocks.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:17 AM   #43
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post

A mini-iPad would be a good product for someone who doesn't own or want an iPhone or iPod touch, and find the iPad too large. ...
mini-IPad, I like that name. And when they come out witha larger one, they can call it a max-iPad.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote