Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-14-2010, 01:40 AM   #31
rollercoaster
Zealot
rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
This is always the debate, I recommend reading them in the following (Chronological) order, the whole series is an excellent read and fits together best this way. The books in quotes were recently released books that fit best as indicated, but they can be read after the main series as well.

Ender's Game
Ender's Shadow

Shadow of the Hegemon
Shadow Puppets
Shadow of the Giant
Ender in Exile

Speaker for the Dead
Xenocide
Children of the Mind
Thanks you so much

I started reading first meetings and as soon as I reached the 3rd story, alarm bells started ringing in my head. So I didn't read it and will go by your recommendation. I would recommend reading the first two stories of 'First Meetings' before Ender's Game as that worked very well for me.

I am at the last chapter of Ender's Game which also has a novel by the same name (Speaker for the Dead). I assume this chapter wont affect/spoil the novel by the same name.

Overall the book was really hard to put down and I only got 3 hours of sleep last night

I am not a critic so dont look for a review or thoughts etc. All I can say is,

Ho Ender ! :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
Interestingly enough, this book getting a new cover for the ebook edition was the topic of a blog posting:

http://www.tor.com/index.php?option=...=blog&id=59052

William
thanks for the link. I am almost done with the book and it is pure pleasure to look at that beautiful cover now. :

Last edited by rollercoaster; 04-14-2010 at 01:49 AM.
rollercoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:21 AM   #32
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollercoaster View Post
I started reading first meetings and as soon as I reached the 3rd story, alarm bells started ringing in my head. So I didn't read it and will go by your recommendation. I would recommend reading the first two stories of 'First Meetings' before Ender's Game as that worked very well for me.
I don't remember why I decided to place those two stories where I did. Even though they came before Ender's Game I think I felt at the time that they gained a little context if read after Ender's Game. Reading Ender's Game first also set the hook for the series.

These two stories were Orson Scott Card's way of trying to back-fill a little context/character development about the parents well after the fact. As you move into subsequent novels you'll see that these short stories were almost required reading prior to continuing the series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollercoaster View Post
I am at the last chapter of Ender's Game which also has a novel by the same name (Speaker for the Dead). I assume this chapter wont affect/spoil the novel by the same name.
I believe that chapter is part and parcel of the first book and should be read as part of it.

The series is definitely a fun read.

Quote:
I updated/clarified the recommended order of reading.

I recommend reading them in the following (Chronological) order, the whole series is an excellent read and fits together best this way. The below books indented were recently released books that fit best as indicated, but they can be read after the main series as well.

Ender's Game
Ender's Shadow
A War of Gifts: An Ender Story
This short story takes place during Ender's Game. It was obviously a Christmas gift to Orson Scott Card's readers a couple of years back. I enjoyed this book. It is not critical to moving forward with any series but reading it after Ender's Shadow might be a good spot as it starts you thinking about Earth's future events.

First Meetings in Ender's Universe
Read the 1st two stories now. These two stories actually predate Ender's Game and could be read first, but gain a little context if read now. They do add depth to characters in the following books and should be read prior to continuing.
The Polish Boy
Teacher's Pest
Shadow of the Hegemon
Shadow Puppets
Shadow of the Giant
Ender in Exile
Read the 4th story now.
Investment Counselor
Speaker for the Dead
Xenocide
Children of the Mind
Read the 3rd story (optional) this is the original Ender's Game short story. You could read this now to see how Card developed/changed the characters between this short story and his novel. Do Not read this prior to the novel of the same name.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 05-14-2010 at 01:15 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2010, 07:44 AM   #33
seagull
Addict
seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Anywhere I can buy this in e-book format in the UK? Both Amazon and B&N are US-only
seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 04:59 PM   #34
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
For those who are curious, I've read the entire four books of the shadow series, which is the parallel novel series to Enders game, and it's awesome. It gets right back to the basics of what made Enders Game so great. What's interesting is that it takes Bean, a secondary character in the original story, and highlights him and his life. It also brings forward a lot of the other secondary characters, including Enders siblings, and really does some awesome stuff with them in a great story setting.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:54 PM   #35
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahmad88 View Post
For those of you who like Ender's Game, you might also like Ender's Shadow. It was written fourth (?) in the series, but it tells the story of Bean. It isn't a sequel or a prequel. It is told at the same time that Ender's Game is, but you see the back story of Bean and battle school through his eyes. I think I actually like it better than Ender's Game and I really enjoyed Ender's Game.
Actually Ender's Shadow was the fifth Card wrote in the series. The fourth was Children of the Mind. I love all the books including the Shadow series and Ender in Exile I found to be a great return to the characters of Ender and Valentine.
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2010, 09:55 AM   #36
rollercoaster
Zealot
rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Just finished reading Enders Shadow. oh yeah!

I was very put-off in the beginning with Bean so young and so capable but it was easier to digest when I learned about his origins.

I didn't really care for the Encounters Bean has with Ender. it feels like the author is forcing it as every time Bean is saying something that his personality shouldn't be and he criticizes himself in his mind. what is with that ???

I guess the author had to do something as those encounters were forced from the earlier book.

Next Up - Shadow of the Hegemon - I might read something else before I start with it tho., so that I dont get bored with reading the same universe. May be some from the Dune series
Old 04-20-2010, 01:00 PM   #37
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Rollercoaster, the purpose of what bean was doing that you hated so much was something even I've encountered from time to time in my writing. If you take a formerly minor character with a very small part in the book, and then make him a main character in another book, if you come in and start prior to his meeting the other characters in the first book, you need to ensure you have proper interaction between them that both fits with the original book, plus the stuff you want to do with the new book.

Yeah, some of it seemed a little quirky at times, but if you look at the two books as one huge novel split into two parts, then it actually makes sense.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:55 AM   #38
rollercoaster
Zealot

@Steven (wow! me talking to a real author )

I do understand it and i did read the two books back to back such that they are like two parts of one book. I just think that the writer could have been a bit more clever. but I am a lowly reader.. what do I know I still love what I have read from the Ender's Game series.

EDIT:
Come to think of it, I might be feeling this because I read the books back to back. normally a casual reader like me wouldn't remember exactly the dialogs from an earlier book, if there is a sufficient gap, and thus wont have a mindset about those situations to begin with...

Last edited by rollercoaster; 04-21-2010 at 09:02 AM.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:14 AM   #39
seagull
Addict
seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Anywhere selling this with no or bypassable geographic restrictions?
seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:33 PM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
This is always the debate, I recommend reading them in the following (Chronological) order, the whole series is an excellent read and fits together best this way. The below books indented were recently released books that fit best as indicated, but they can be read after the main series as well.

Ender's Game
Ender's Shadow
A War of Gifts: An Ender Story
This short story takes place during Ender's Game. It was obviously a Christmas gift to Orson Scott Card's readers a couple of years back. I enjoyed this book. It is not critical to moving forward with any series but reading it after Ender's Shadow might be a good spot as it starts you thinking about Earth's future events.

Read the 1st two stories now. These two stories actually predate Ender's Game and could be read first, but gain a little context if read now. They do add depth to characters in the following books and should be read prior to continuing.
The Polish Boy
Teacher's Pest
Shadow of the Hegemon
Shadow Puppets
Shadow of the Giant
Ender in Exile
Read the 4th story now.
Investment Counselor
Speaker for the Dead
Xenocide
Children of the Mind
Read the 3rd story (optional) this is the original Ender's Game short story. You could read this now to see how Card developed/changed the characters between this short story and his novel. Do Not read this prior to the novel of the same name.
Someone else says this this the proper order...

Chronological order
1. "First Meetings" (excluding the story "Investment Counselor", which follows Ender in Exile)
2. Ender's Game
3. A War of Gifts: An Ender Story (Parallel Novel to Ender's Game as seen by Zeck)
4. Ender's Shadow (Parallel Novel to Ender's Game as seen by Bean)
5. Shadow of the Hegemon
6. Shadow Puppets
7. Shadow of the Giant
8. Ender in Exile (This book begins between chapters 14 and 15 of Ender's Game and ends before the beginning of the Speaker for the Dead but has characters who need to be developed in the Shadow Series to fully be appreciated.)
9. Speaker for the Dead
10. Xenocide
11. Children of the Mind
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:36 AM   #41
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

Chronological order
1. "First Meetings" (excluding the story "Investment Counselor", which follows Ender in Exile)
My (dwanthny) update: Exclude story three it is the original short of the Novel Ender's Game and will spoil the novel if read first.
2. Ender's Game
3. A War of Gifts: An Ender Story (Parallel Novel to Ender's Game as seen by Zeck)
5. Shadow of the Hegemon
6. Shadow Puppets
7. Shadow of the Giant
8. Ender in Exile (This book begins between chapters 14 and 15 of Ender's Game and ends before the beginning of the Speaker for the Dead but has characters who need to be developed in the Shadow Series to fully be appreciated.)
9. Speaker for the Dead
10. Xenocide
11. Children of the Mind
This is essentially the same list, I had updated my order in post 32 (I have also just updated the post you quoted.) The only real difference is where I have the first two stories from First Meetings.

Quote:
The Polish Boy
Teacher's Pest
These two stories do take place prior to the series and are required reading prior to Shadow of the Hegemon because it helps add some character development to Ender's parents that was lacking in the original writing.

The only thing seriously wrong with the list above is that the 3rd story in "First Meetings" is the novella Ender's Game and this short shouldn't be read before the Novel Ender's Game.

Otherwise we agree.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 04-22-2010 at 12:57 AM.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:23 PM   #42
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I'm about two thirds thru Ender's Game and enjoying it...

But WTF, they take forever to release it as an ebook, and there are friggin' spelling mistakes. Looks like some really stupid OCR errors. It's rediculous.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:06 AM   #43
rollercoaster
Zealot

Quote:

Chronological order
2. Ender's Game
5. Shadow of the Hegemon
6. Shadow Puppets
7. Shadow of the Giant
9. Speaker for the Dead
10. Xenocide
11. Children of the Mind
I agree with the list. And as @dwanthny says only it is important to skip the original short story/novella 'Enders game' in First Meetings and I think 3 & 4 are interchangeable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
But WTF, they take forever to release it as an ebook, and there are friggin' spelling mistakes. Looks like some really stupid OCR errors. It's rediculous.
I hate that too. Pisses me off it I have to put too much time to figure one out.

Last edited by rollercoaster; 04-23-2010 at 03:12 AM.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:44 PM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem I'm having now is that First Meetings in Ender's Universe is only available from Amazon and in Topaz. This really is shit and Amazon should do away with Topaz.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:13 PM   #45
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
The problem I'm having now is that First Meetings in Ender's Universe is only available from Amazon and in Topaz. This really is shit and Amazon should do away with Topaz.
Topaz shows no errors at all if viewed on the Kindle or Kindle 4 PC etc... The topaz format on the Kindle is totally image based and shows an exact copy of the book.

The only time it has spelling errors is when we convert it to other formats. Topaz has OCR'd copies of their books side by side with the images but on the Kindle the OCR'd text is just used for search. Since the text was just used for search there was no need to proof it as thoroughly (if at all) as would be if it was the final reading product.

The conversion process does provide the images in a viewable html format for reading on a computer. If you wanted you could view the images side by side with the text and proof your book.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 04-23-2010 at 07:15 PM.