Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-22-2009, 02:58 PM   #31
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
So I assume you don't have a cell phone... because your provider "can" track everywhere you go and record all your conversations and know what software you run on it.

I assume you don't use credit cards... because the banks do know every transaction you make which means what the store is, how much, and in some cases with on line stuff each item possible. They "can" store all this info... actually they do.

I assume you don't use a search engine online... because they "can" track and store every search you make. you don't use Web based email right they "can" and "do" have access to all your email?

Actually, if anyone thinks their email is private they don't know much about email. You may login to google using https and a user name and password... but did you know that 100% of email is transported over the Internet in clear plain text? Yep... if you want private email between you and the sender you better be encrypting it with PGP or similar.

I assume you don't use the Internet. Because your ISP "can" (and possible do) track every web site you visit, every file you download, how long you spend on your PC, etc.

This discussion reminds me of a video I just saw today... about a new Google product called The Google Toilet.

BOb
Yes to all, Bob, I use them and I know they're not private at all. I am careful what I do with them though. I like to have a bit of privacy whenever I can afford it, and missing out on the wireless on my ebook reader is a really small price to pay (for me). No so with the email for example. And as I said, I like my ebooks liberated, and sometimes even pirated. I don't know if that can be checked remotely, or if anyone would want to check it remotely, but it's just a tiny bit of peace of mind I like to have, to know they can't. Never said that's what others should do too of course.
Unfortunately I get a "video not available" for the youtube link...
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:12 PM   #32
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
Unfortunately I get a "video not available" for the youtube link...
Hmm... it was embedded in the youtube tag not a link.

Here is the link. It's pretty funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrontojPWEE

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2009, 03:17 PM   #33
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Still not available...Neither the link nor the embedded video...
Are there regional restrictions on youtube videos too?
Old 12-22-2009, 03:19 PM   #34
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
Still not available...Neither the link nor the embedded video...
Are there regional restrictions on youtube videos too?
I have no idea. Just go to youtube and search on google toilet it is the first hit.

BOb
Old 12-22-2009, 03:23 PM   #35
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Hmm... it was embedded in the youtube tag not a link.

Here is the link. It's pretty funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrontojPWEE

BOb
I sent the link to a friend in Ireland and it's not available there...

Geographic restrictions I think.

Last edited by kennyc; 12-22-2009 at 03:27 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2009, 03:24 PM   #36
omk3
Wizard

The mystery deepens! I only get videos about actual toilets, flushing techniques and other fascinating stuff...
Is it me or is it the same for everyone in the UK I wonder?
Old 12-22-2009, 03:25 PM   #37
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
That's just ridiculous. So much for "The World is Flat"....

BOb
Old 12-22-2009, 05:15 PM   #38
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
No kidding!?!?
Dang
Yea. To some degree it's understandable, but Amazon take it to an extreme.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 05:37 PM   #39
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Not one of the EFF's best efforts-must be a one of those 'get this out by the holidays' things.
Agreed. Perhaps we should give them a hand
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:17 PM   #40
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimo1re View Post
Agreed. Perhaps we should give them a hand
I'm game:

kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:19 PM   #41
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post

Geographic restrictions I think.

Yes, there are many videos I can't see on youtube due to that - however, they always tell me it's not available in my country.

And I can see that one in Poland, even though google.pl exists.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:26 PM   #42
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Quote:
I'm game:

He he he, that's right.
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:27 PM   #43
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
FYI, Amazon does NOT track (or sync) items that you did not purchase through their store. Anything you purchase via credit card is eminently trackable anyway, so it seems to me that with pretty much any ebook device, you are losing a small portion of your privacy.

That said, I don't think the EFF piece is really that far off. They just ought to update it for the Sony wireless, and acknowledge that any ebook store is subject to the same legal requirements as any other. And let's face it, if you run afoul of the law and used a credit card to buy your electronic copy of The Anarchist's Cookbook, I doubt the prosecutor is going to care that your ebook device doesn't sync to a central server somewhere.

But it does seem to me that if you really want to keep your book selections truly private, you need to buy paper books in cash while wearing a disguise, and destroy your books immediately after reading.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:30 PM   #44
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
I'm game:
TPZ.

Mm-hum.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:22 PM   #45
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
FYI, Amazon does NOT track (or sync) items that you did not purchase through their store. Anything you purchase via credit card is eminently trackable anyway, so it seems to me that with pretty much any ebook device, you are losing a small portion of your privacy.
We don't know if they track it or not, but they do have such ability.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote