Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 01-14-2010, 04:20 PM   #31
sarae
sarae began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook 360
Same issue this morning with my 3-day old PB 360

I pressed the power on button to start the device, the led turned green but the screen never turned on. The device was completely unresponsive. The battery indicator showed full charge the last time I used it. If it matters, I have the device set to power down automatically after 10 minutes of inactivity (could this be the problem?), which is how it turned itself off prior to this "incident". (It's done that before and restarted just fine.)

I connected the USB, opened the back cover and pressed the reset button, and the device came back to life. Now that I've found Ebiumn's thread, I'm worried this problem is more serious than it appeared.

I've had some other less serious problems as well, I'm wondering if this is typical or caused by some firmware or hardware bug. The PB 360 arrived with the latest version of firmware installed, 101.14.2.

The first problem was that the DRM-ed books would not open. PB was trying to open them with the pdfviewer and asking me for a password. A long click menu would only give me an "Open", but not an "Open with" option. I searched around and found the "Making FBReader and pdfviewer default viewers" thread, created an "extensions.cfg" file (with my pdf and epub reader options in reverse order, since most of my pdfs are DRM-ed), and that fixed the problem. Was this a stupid way to do it? Should I have reinstalled the firmware?

I've also had the device crash twice (become unresponsive) while reading an ADE book. It did respond to power off button though, so I could just shut it down and restart.

I look forward to hearing what the service center says about this. Please keep us updated!
sarae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:56 PM   #32
Ulli
(-:
Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.

Device: PocketBook 360°,302
One tip, which fixes such freezing problems at my PB.

Try to press the reset button a short time.

Please report
Ulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2010, 01:10 AM   #33
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Yar, just for curiosity's sake: Could you update us about what was wrong with that reader once diagnosed?
So far the service center guys say (not having looked at the device yet, just distant diagnosis, from the forum discussions) that this may be 'controller board' that does not function properly or is just broken. But I'm still waiting for them to get to me on Friday.

Last edited by Yar-PocketBooker; 01-15-2010 at 01:19 AM.
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:19 AM   #34
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarae View Post
I pressed the power on button to start the device, the led turned green but the screen never turned on. The device was completely unresponsive. The battery indicator showed full charge the last time I used it. If it matters, I have the device set to power down automatically after 10 minutes of inactivity (could this be the problem?), which is how it turned itself off prior to this "incident". (It's done that before and restarted just fine.)

I connected the USB, opened the back cover and pressed the reset button, and the device came back to life. Now that I've found Ebiumn's thread, I'm worried this problem is more serious than it appeared.

I've had some other less serious problems as well, I'm wondering if this is typical or caused by some firmware or hardware bug. The PB 360 arrived with the latest version of firmware installed, 101.14.2.

The first problem was that the DRM-ed books would not open. PB was trying to open them with the pdfviewer and asking me for a password. A long click menu would only give me an "Open", but not an "Open with" option. I searched around and found the "Making FBReader and pdfviewer default viewers" thread, created an "extensions.cfg" file (with my pdf and epub reader options in reverse order, since most of my pdfs are DRM-ed), and that fixed the problem. Was this a stupid way to do it? Should I have reinstalled the firmware?

I've also had the device crash twice (become unresponsive) while reading an ADE book. It did respond to power off button though, so I could just shut it down and restart.

I look forward to hearing what the service center says about this. Please keep us updated!
From my experience of handling hundreds of PB-devices, sometimes couple of dozens a day, they do not freeze often. One of the reasons (to my non-tech mind) could be huge PDF-files that sometimes make the device 'think' longer before opening and while re-flowing.
If I see conditions like yours (unresponsiveness), this is easy fixed by a reset, but don't forget to connect the device to the power before short pressing reset button.
Regarding the ADE-related matters - please keep in mind that this firmware is still a test version! On my readers DRMed books does work fine (with the exception of infamous 6-devices rule, which I personally hate, it never can be fine with me.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:37 AM   #35
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar-PocketBooker View Post
From my experience of handling hundreds of PB-devices, sometimes couple of dozens a day, they do not freeze often. One of the reasons (to my non-tech mind) could be huge PDF-files that sometimes make the device 'think' longer before opening and while re-flowing.
If I see conditions like yours (unresponsiveness), this is easy fixed by a reset, but don't forget to connect the device to the power before short pressing reset button.
Regarding the ADE-related matters - please keep in mind that this firmware is still a test version! On my readers DRMed books does work fine (with the exception of infamous 6-devices rule, which I personally hate, it never can be fine with me.
I have been reding on my 360° for over 6 weeks now. The only instability problems that I have come across are due to some really badly made PDFs that have been made with some free printer driver or something. It's really not so much the size that has an influence, I think.

As for the 6-devices rule, that's really a bummer. I think there should be some exceptions (for the producers, testers, reviewers and so on).
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2010, 07:06 AM   #36
Ebiumn
Connoisseur
Ebiumn doesn't litterEbiumn doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Kindle Voyage
Yar - any update yet?
Ebiumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:47 AM   #37
Ebiumn
Connoisseur

Yar - what is happening?
Old 01-20-2010, 08:44 AM   #38
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebiumn View Post
Yar - what is happening?
Sorry,

I was busy with CES and the getting the PB to the market...

We're going to exchange your device, let me just figure out where you need to ship your device that needs to be fixed - either here to the US or to the EU service center.

I'll be in touch shortly!
Old 01-20-2010, 03:55 PM   #39
Ebiumn
Connoisseur

All I need to know is when your shipping company want to collect it, the destination is up to you. Are you going to collect when they deliver the new unit?
Old 01-21-2010, 06:45 PM   #40
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic

what color is not working one - white or black?
Old 01-22-2010, 01:52 AM   #41
Ebiumn
Connoisseur

black
Old 01-26-2010, 01:40 AM   #42
Ebiumn
Connoisseur

update please
Old 01-26-2010, 05:09 PM   #43
Ebiumn
Connoisseur

Yar are we any nearer to sorting this out, my partner has one chapter left of her book and then she was going to start using the reader as it was a xmas pressie
Old 01-27-2010, 04:05 PM   #44
Forkosigan
Wizard
Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.

Device: Pocketbook Touch (622)
Quote:
Yar are we any nearer to sorting this out, my partner has one chapter left of her book and then she was going to start using the reader as it was a xmas pressie
Tomorrow I'll send you a new 360 in black.
Forkosigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:14 AM   #45
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic

Quote:
I've sent you email yesterday that you were going to get the new device soon from our friend a colleague, Forkosigan from DE.