Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-30-2009, 08:54 AM   #31
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I agree with you about animated avatars - some of them are really annoying (and before anyone mentions it, clicking 'esc' everytime you enter a page, is a bit annoying, too )

Kenny, you thought my name wasn't real - how would know if people do or not? I also don't see you discount a lot of posters with what appears quite obvisously not to be real names
Some people may have good reasons not to divulge their real name on the Internet, too.
Right about the names. It's not always clear and certainly someone could use a "normal" made up name like Fred or June and no one would be any the wiser. I just don't "get" pseudonyms -- just me -- I'm one of those people that tend to say what they think and think people should be open and honest in what they say and express. I'm funny that way.

Certainly I don't "discount" anyone just because of a pseudonym or avatar, but I think a pseudonym can provide the opportunity for posters to get nasty thinking that they are hidden and to say and act in ways they would not act if they were posting under their real name.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:58 AM   #32
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I was badgered into having one.
Advert
Old 11-30-2009, 09:01 AM   #33
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Yes avatars and pseudonyms. Some use the avatar to push their agenda -- those bother me. I also hate animated avatars because they are so distracting as I'm trying to read. I prefer people use their real names so automatically discount any postings made under an assumed name.

It's also annoying when avatars change constantly.
Quote:
Right about the names. It's not always clear and certainly someone could use a "normal" made up name like Fred or June and no one would be any the wiser. I just don't "get" pseudonyms -- just me -- I'm one of those people that tend to say what they think and think people should be open and honest in what they say and express. I'm funny that way.

Certainly I don't "discount" anyone just because of a pseudonym or avatar, but I think a pseudonym can provide the opportunity for posters to get nasty thinking that they are hidden and to say and act in ways they would not act if they were posting under their real name.
ahhhh! when I first used my real name here, that was a first for me. I am normally of the opinion that all online stuff should be approached carefully. there are too many possibilities to manipulate postings and get someone in trouble. however I approached this place as a reading forum... thinking I would periodically come down off the mountain, learn the newest stuff about ereaders, absorb info, and go back into my snowy anonymity. then I discovered the llounge.... abandon all hope all ye who enter here...
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:05 AM   #34
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
No...
Only two days til doughnut!
Old 11-30-2009, 09:17 AM   #35
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I am a terrifyingly evil SOB. Thus, my avatar. So you'd better watch out.

Please pass the doughnuts.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2009, 09:21 AM   #36
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Doughnuts are bad for you all - I am confiscating the lot and will destroy it in order to keep you all safe and healthy
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:27 AM   #37
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I am a terrifyingly evil SOB. Thus, my avatar. So you'd better watch out.

Please pass the doughnuts.
And then there are those that steal avatars.

I actually thought your were this member until the mention of doughnuts. Where's raveene, it's time to round up the posse.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:29 AM   #38
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
And then there are those that steal avatars.

I actually thought your were this member until the mention of doughnuts. Where's raveene, it's time to round up the posse.
But please do it another thread I used the seriousness tag for a reason
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:29 AM   #39
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
I actually thought your were this member until the mention of doughnuts.
No, that's my evil twin brother Skippy.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:35 AM   #40
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
I don't exactly disagree, but you can't control other people's reactions, and for some people it can be nice - perhaps even necessary - to have a 'free space' to express things they don't want to share with everyone. For that reason it can be nice to use a pseudonym. There are some things in my life I like to keep on a need to know basis - not because I have to, but because that's my comfort level that not everyone knows everything about me.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:40 AM   #41
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Yes avatars and pseudonyms. Some use the avatar to push their agenda -- those bother me. I also hate animated avatars because they are so distracting as I'm trying to read. I prefer people use their real names so automatically discount any postings made under an assumed name.

It's also annoying when avatars change constantly.
I never liked my given name. It's boring and English speaking people can't even pronounce it correctly. And I've been using my Sweetpea pseudonym for ages now (must be from around the time the first LOTR movie was in production, so probably since 2000)

Quote:

I could be using my real name and act as if I wasn't posting under my real name. How can you tell it's my real name?

I do think that you can see whether somebody has actually thought about a screen name. So, not just pushed some random keys on the keyboard. I'm a moderator on a gaming forum and if you see some of the names used there...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:51 AM   #42
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katti's Cat View Post
Doughnuts are bad for you all - I am confiscating the lot and will destroy it in order to keep you all safe and healthy

Better watch out, the Doughnut Army is invencible, just check out MY Avatar!

You've already felt the power of the former doggie...now in his transformed state!
Old 11-30-2009, 09:53 AM   #43
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Reading all your posts make me feel shallow and dizzy blonde - didn't think i was the first, the last only thanks to L'Oreal.

Some of the names amuse me, others make me think and yet others *shrugs shoulder*

Same with the avatars - some I like others I don't.

But I don't judge the person behind them based on name & avatar - unless it is very offensive and rude.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:08 AM   #44
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I tried using a pseudonym at one site, to see how I'd get into it: I chose a name and avatar that was quirky, but fit the subject of the site. It didn't exactly make me ill, or anything... but I never really "got into" using a pseudonym on forums.

Also, at many of the forums I go to I want to represent myself as a merchant, and my site name is MY name. Using a pseudonym would seem (to me) like I'm trying to hide something from my potential customers, or not taking my work (or my words) seriously enough to stand up and reveal myself.

Now, if I still happened to go by a nickname as I had in the past, I could see using that as a pseudonym and avatar. (On the other hand, "!*@!^#&$&@!! Why can't you fix dinner once in a while!?!!" might seem a bit long for a pseudonym...)
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:11 AM   #45
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Slite is of course not my real name. I have however been using this pseudonym since the dawn of time it seems like. Actually, I started using it back in 1993 while playing MUD's. And it sort of stuck with me throughout.

As for avatars, the one I currently use has been in service since I registered here on MR, and I don't plan to change it. (Unless of course, someone ABBAfies it!)
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote